Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Setting Up My New Bike  (Read 700 times)

Offline Face

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: 2017 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Scugog
Setting Up My New Bike
« on: September 10, 2018, 10:44:08 PM »
Even though I bought my 2017 Versys 1000 in the Spring, due to a move in the summer, I've been slow to get it set up for 2-up touring. Everything's now done, so I thought I'd put it together in 1 comprehensive post.

When I bought my Ninja 1000 in 2011, the first thing I did was add a helmet hook setup made from a coat hanger.  This has proven to be something I use on a regular basis, so I needed to figure out a way to do it on the Versys as well.

I had a couple brackets lying around that were originally used to secure hoses inside a dishwasher for shipping. With a little cutting and grinding, they  are now my Versys helmet hooks.  They are completely hidden behind the sides of the seat, but are low enough to hang the helmets. Sure this isn't 100% secure, but good enough for short stops.  For longer stops where we are away from the bike, I'll supplement with a cable lock thru the chin bars along with the sleeves of our jackets.

After years of riding in the Toronto kayos, I've found a watchful eye and a loud horn to be essential motorcycle equipment.  I was able to install to Fiamm dual-tone Freeway Blaster horns off the OEM mount, but after the first photo was taken, I found that I needed to rotate them to face forward and drill another hole in the left (photo right) arm to move the horn in to allow full turning movement of the bars.  This is because the OEM mount is slightly off centre.  They are powered thru a relay mounted on top of the OEM mount.

I also added SW-Motech Crash bars and the Denali 2.0 D2 Light Kit.  The crash bars cost as much as the Kawi Frame Sliders, provide better protection and serve as a mount base for the lights. I also added R&G engine case covers for additional protection.  We now live out of the city, and the Denali lights do an amazing job of lighting up the road and sides ahead.  I was also impressed how well the lit up around corners at lean.

I put the Denali switch on the right bar because I installed the switch for the Oxford Heated Grips on the left.  The grips are wired to the OEM grips harness so that they are switched thru the ignition.  I couldn't find the matching OEM Sumitomo connector, so I just cut it off and used standard bullet connectors. On the right bar end I also installed a Kaoko Throttle Lock.  The dealer installed the Kawi power outlet in the dash, and I've put a Ram Ball mount in the centre of my bars for my old reliable Garmin Zumo 220.

I chose the Shad SH58X top box, which has 3 settings to expand from 48 to 58 litres.  The plan is to travel with it in the lower or middle setting, but expand it when we need to store boots and pants if we want to do something without gear, or to pick up a few groceries.

I also wanted to have the camping option, and riding 2-up I was concerned that adding camping gear inside the boxes would be a little tight, so I bought 2 Shad 20 Litre Zulu packs.  They are waterproof and come with 3 D-rings each for more secure strapping down.  I've set them up to hang behind the side cases so that it's easier for my wife to get on and off, and we can also open the side cases without needing to remove the Zulu packs.  The tops are attached to the grab bars with Rok straps.  I found a steel angle brace at Lowes that works perfectly for the lower support mounted behind the licence plate.  All I need to do was drill 2 mounting holes and bend the ends from 45 to 90 degrees and add the quick link rings.

The Zulu packs are pretty efficient.  I can fit a 3-man tent plus its footprint in one, and a Thermorest camp cot, a camp chair and a sleeping bag in the other. This way I only need to put the other cot, chair and bag in the top box, or use the zulu packs for both cots, chairs and bags, and put the tent and footprint in the box.

I know that the Versys is not a big theft target, but knowing that it would be parked with helmets, jackets and bags locked to the outside, I wanted to add the Scorpio SRX-900 alarm with the perimeter sensor.  Fortunately there was lots of room to mount it in the tail so that it would not affect storage space under the seat.  I did have to run the perimeter sensor forward because it would have been affected by the steel subframe if I left it in the tail.  I also added a 12V and USB power outlet under the seat.  There's lots of room there to carry a small compressor, tire plug tools, a tire gauge and the Rok straps when I'm not using them.

We set the rear pre-load and found that for me solo, the proper setting was 3 clicks out from fully unloaded. For the 2 of us without luggage, it was 5 clicks out from fully compressed, so I'm hoping that those extra 5 clicks will deal with the weight fully loaded, We took the bike on a 2-up 500 km day a couple weeks ago and I was really impressed how smooth and nimble it was.  Initiating turns was surprisingly easy and the bike was extremely adept at working its way thru traffic at highway speeds.  I did find the front end felt a little vague at more aggressive cornering, but after adjusting the OEM recommended settings by adding 1 full turn of front Pre-load, 2 clicks more front rebound and 1/2 turn more rear rebound dampening, the bike felt much better.  I'm looking forward to taking it touring, but given the time of year and other obligations, I don't think we'll be doing any longer runs until next year.
When in doubt ... Accelerate! ;-)

Offline Face

• Versys Newbie
Re: Setting Up My New Bike
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2018, 11:12:51 PM »
I forgot to add one last item - Deer Whistles!  A few years back I hit a deer in Pennsylvania on my Ninja.  Fortunately it was a juvenile and I stayed upright and only had minimal damage.  After that I added deer whistles and haven't hit one since.  I know people say they don't work, but how do you prove a negative.  Besides, they're all of $13 and if they make my wife feel more comfortable riding with me, they're well worth the investment.  They also tuck in quite nicely under the fairing.

Keen eyes will also note that I had to move the Denali lights a little further out on the crash bars to clear the fairings.

Offline Le ptit Quebec

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Paris
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 05:59:36 AM »
A lot of good ideas. Thanks for sharing :020:

Offline dizzy

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: V1KGT 18
  • City / Town: North West
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2018, 07:18:06 AM »
Wow.

Some great ideas.

I am off tomorrow for a few days. Added tyre repair kit, chain lube and gave it a wash :012:...... staying B&B

Offline TallyRex

• Versys Master
  • Bike: V1K, 900RS, ZRX1200
  • City / Town: Tallahassee
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2018, 04:28:00 PM »
  :759:  Now you Must do some touring 

Offline Face

• Versys Newbie
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2018, 05:23:06 PM »
*Originally Posted by TallyRex [+]
  :759:  Now you Must do some touring

That's the plan!

Offline Vespista1960

• Versys Master
  • Bike: Versys 1000 2015
  • City / Town: Milano
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2018, 08:56:57 AM »
*Originally Posted by Le ptit Quebec [+]
A lot of good ideas. Thanks for sharing :020:
+ 1  :028:
After installing the support for the oem fog lights I had not enough room for the FIAMM horns under the front fairing, so I had to replace them with the smaller PIAA Slim twin horns. But the FIAMM sound is far better.

Offline Face

• Versys Newbie
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2018, 07:19:03 PM »
*Originally Posted by Vespista1960 [+]
+ 1  :028:
After installing the support for the oem fog lights I had not enough room for the FIAMM horns under the front fairing, so I had to replace them with the smaller PIAA Slim twin horns. But the FIAMM sound is far better.

That was one of the reasons I went with the SW Motech Crash Bars to mount the lights. The OEM lights looked to big for my tastes, so I went with the Denali D2s.  I'm very happy with how they look on the bike and the way they light up back roads.

Offline stlee29

• Versys Master
  • Good rides.....
  • Bike: V1K 2013
  • City / Town: Penang
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2018, 12:56:58 PM »
Nice set-up, Face. Good rides to come  :028:
This is a bloody great Bike....!

My V1K Blog: https://www.versys1000.com/index.php/topic,12733.0.html

Offline CuddyBuddy

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Brighton
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2018, 04:10:22 AM »
Very nicely done.  I'm not far from you.  In fact, rode through the Scugog area just today.
Paul
2012 Versys 1000
2004 Gold Wing 1800

Recent Topics

waggish