Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Full brake pad change  (Read 2114 times)

Offline Bulldogady

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Lincoln
Full brake pad change
« on: April 30, 2016, 09:57:31 PM »
Completed a full brake pad change today and I am pleased to report it was simple and quick. Started with the rear and removed the exhaust can. This made access easier. Discovered that only one of the two securing bolts on the caliper is accessible but turned out not to be a problem as it pivots up and away on that bolt, so only need to remove the rear one. Old pads were about 80% shot after 18,000 miles.
The front pads were extremely easy to change. They were about 50% done but I decided to change them anyway ready for a Scotland tour next week. If I can do this it must be easy! I have some really knowledgeable mates who have taught me stuff. Thanks to them.  :031:

Offline 100milesaway

• Versys God
  • Bike: Versys 650 MK3
  • City / Town: Leyburn. N Yorks
Re: Full brake pad change
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 08:27:35 AM »
Yes, this is one benefit of the big Vs simply specification, it allows folk to do stuff that normally, with more exotic stuff you would send to a dealer.  As you say doing pads on the Versys is a doddle :152:
If man evolved from monkeys, why are there still monkeys?

Offline Himself

• Versys Pro
  • Adventure Before Dementia
  • Bike: Ex 2017 GT Owner
  • City / Town: Newark, Notts
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2018, 03:30:21 PM »
Little did I know that two and a half years ago, you had posted the answer to my last 30 minutes in the garage wondering how I could get that front bolt out.

Answer - You don't have to. Shame I've put it all back together now. Still, that is what tomorrow is for

Thank you  :002:
I was seduced by a 1000SX and gave into temptation

Online TallyRex

• Versys Master
  • Bike: V1K, 900RS, ZRX1200
  • City / Town: Tallahassee
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2018, 10:43:23 AM »
So, what pads did you use and how do they compare with the OEMs?

Offline Himself

• Versys Pro
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2018, 10:50:02 AM »
EBC Double H sintered pads.

Much more direct. There is a noticeable grab, which is what I was looking for. The increased friction gives more feel.

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 2019 SE GT
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2018, 11:32:50 AM »
*Originally Posted by Himself [+]
EBC Double H sintered pads.

Much more direct. There is a noticeable grab, which is what I was looking for. The increased friction gives more feel.

When you say "Grab" I'm assuming that doesn't mean that your brakes are now 'snatchy'  :question:

I have found with OEM pads that, at times, they can be a wee bit snatchy at low speeds, and maybe not as progressive as I would like
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Offline Himself

• Versys Pro
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2018, 11:46:33 AM »
Correct .. poor choice of words on my part. What I was going for ...

Grab ... There is a noticeable connection of the brake pad to the disk. It is smooth but the retardation force feels greater for the same amount of pressure over the standard pads.

What I was going for was the pads have a firmer grip on the disk.

It is a difficult sensation to describe without sounding like A) a waffling idiot b) I know what I'm talking about c) some sort of expert with bucket loads of experience.

I find OEM pads soft or at least I've convinced myself that I do, so I change them

(how many typos will I have to correct before this says what I'm trying to say .... :lostit:)
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 11:49:22 AM by Himself »

Online Crosshairs

• Versys God
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2018, 12:41:15 PM »

Grab ... There is a noticeable connection of the brake pad to the disk. It is smooth but the retardation force feels greater for the same amount of pressure over the standard pads.

It is a difficult sensation to describe without sounding like A) a waffling idiot b) I know what I'm talking about c) some sort of expert with bucket loads of experience.

I find OEM pads soft or at least I've convinced myself that I do, so I change them

(how many typos will I have to correct before this says what I'm trying to say .... :lostit:)

Bite is the word you are looking for..EBC are known to have much greater bite than the OEM pads on most bikes

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 2019 SE GT
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2018, 01:28:34 PM »

No problem, I guessed that is what you were saying.... thanks for clarifying    :2: 

It's a subjective thing (like many topics on any forum)  as one persons needs/expectations need not always match those of another.

And as for typo errors.... phew I could write a book with mine... I typically blame my 'fat fingers'     :745: 
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Online TallyRex

• Versys Master
  • Bike: V1K, 900RS, ZRX1200
  • City / Town: Tallahassee
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2018, 10:48:06 AM »
I've been using EBC HH pads for many years, good bite, nicely progressive and they last a long time.

Recent Topics