Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: GPS mount template  (Read 3661 times)

Offline 2 Piece

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Virginia
GPS mount template
« on: May 22, 2016, 09:07:37 PM »
Not sure if this is the correct forum to post this in or not.
I wanted to mount a GPS to my 2015 Versys 1000, my GPS came with a handle bar ball mount. I really did not like the way the handle bar mount positioned the GPS. It would only clamp to the handlebars near the controls/ grips due to the larger diameter of the handle bars near the stand offs.
IMHO the after market mounts that mounted to the windshield post are to heavy/ bulky looking and set the GPS out to far.
I set out to make my own GPS mount and wanted to share the "plan/ diagram" with anyone interested.
It was very easy and inexpensive to make and looks like it will do the job of holding the GPS just fine.
I have downloaded a PDF of the plan outline at my dropbox location, not sure if I can download a PDF directly to this post. The link to the outline is:
www.dropbox.com/s/nvrmxesrxck1mx5/Versys%20mount.pdf?dl=0
I made the mount from .064 aluminum which is very easy to work with and cut with a hacksaw and is plenty strong to hold a GPS. You can get the .064" x 4" x 10" piece of aluminum at a hobby supply store.
Here are some photos of finished mount.

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: GREEN, 2017 GT
  • City / Town: Ballymena, Antrim
Re: GPS mount template
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 08:46:03 AM »
Good job, and great PDF guide

Its great to see measurements in inches instead of all this metric stuff too  :028: 

Any pictures from the front showing the end result ?   :002: 
You preach what you need to hear

Roger (Rog)

Offline 2 Piece

• Versys Pro
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 11:52:24 AM »
Here you go, I really wanted to get it outside for photos, but since it cloudy and overcast with rain every single day.... in the shop photos will have to do:)
I have the GPS wired into the back of my DC power outlet. It turns on with ignition switch.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 11:56:20 AM by 2 Piece »

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: GREEN, 2017 GT
  • City / Town: Ballymena, Antrim
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 01:04:44 PM »
Great job, and very neat  :028: 
You preach what you need to hear

Roger (Rog)

Offline raptorchris

• Versys Pro
  • City / Town: Hartford CT
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2016, 06:03:35 PM »
Thanks! I was literally just thinking of doing the same yesterday. I was looking at this mount
http://shop.sw-motech.com/cgi-bin/cosmoshop/lshop.cgi?action=showdetail&wkid=146352080115554&ls=en&nc=1463521358-25373&rubnum=brands.kawasaki.versys1000&artnum=GPS.08.646.10800/B&id=16&gesamt_zeilen=Tshowrub--brands.kawasaki.versys1000&typid=213637012
Looking at it, I figured I could do about the same for a fraction of the cost. I pulled the windshield and started making a template. Ran out of time before I finished. Looks lime you finished it for me. :2:

Offline 2 Piece

• Versys Pro
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2016, 07:16:52 PM »
You are very welcome! Just remember to allow for thickness of metal when using the template for bending. I used some fairly thin aluminum (.064", easy to work with) but I am sure some thin sheet metal would work just fine.
Here is exactly what I used, I had some laying around the shop for some other projects. http://www.amazon.com/Sheet-10-0-064-Aluminum-Boxed/dp/B014RXQO64 cost a whole $4.24.
Good luck and let me know how the template worked out for you. Make sure your printer is set to print "actual" or 100%.

Offline walmsleyr

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: versys 1000
  • City / Town: scunthorpe
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2016, 07:28:58 PM »
thanks just down loaded.to the shed after football :exclamation: :152:
at the going down of the sun we will remember them.

Offline raptorchris

• Versys Pro
  • City / Town: Hartford CT
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2016, 08:17:49 PM »
Downloaded the pdf. Looks simple enough. Questions, are the bends 90° or did you have to match the angle to the angle of the windshield bracket?

Offline walmsleyr

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: versys 1000
  • City / Town: scunthorpe
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2016, 11:25:48 PM »
use a joiners sliding bevel guage to get the angle .:002:
at the going down of the sun we will remember them.

Offline 2 Piece

• Versys Pro
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2016, 11:47:19 PM »
*Originally Posted by raptorchris [+]
Downloaded the pdf. Looks simple enough. Questions, are the bends 90° or did you have to match the angle to the angle of the windshield bracket?
No, they are not 90 degree bends, not sure of the exact angle, but they match the angle of the windshield mount. Print the template out on a piece of heavy weight paper, cut it out and fold on the lines and you will get an idea of the angle.

Recent Topics