Author Topic: National Cycle VStream - Full review comparison to Puig and photos  (Read 13737 times)

Offline Darth

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2016 GT
  • City / Town: Stirling
Greetings fellow Versyses.

This is a review of the medium sized screen N20116 http://www.nationalcycle.com/vehicles/motorcycle-1/kawasaki-1/kawasakikle1000versys/2015kawasakikle1000versys/n20116.html

Short view, ace, love it.

Still reading? OK, first the bad.
1 - This is not cheap and the import duty to the UK was 36.75 photos of the queen.
2 - You get this weird lensing effect from the bubble shape when the light hits it from a certain angle.
3 - Not as much coverage as the Puig (Catalan word pronounce "pooche", every day's a school day!).

I ran the screen about 3/4 at first, stopped almost immediately. I'm 5' 10" (178cm) and it was noisy, not buffety, noisy.
After setting it to it's highest setting I spanked it down the motorway. Hit a GPS tonne, then cruised at a about 85 (mph) for a few miles (speedo reading 90 btw).

The screen is a country mile improvement over the stock screen.
Compared to the Puig, well that's up to you.

The Puig has zero wind noise and very little turbulence on it's highest setting. Here's the main difference compared to the National Cycle, the Puig gives coverage for your torso AND arms. The National Cycle doesn't shield your arms, it shields your shoulders, but not your arms.
If you ride in a hot country, the National Cycle might just be the ideal screen for you. Why? Despite giving protection from wind blast and buffeting (yes it does a fine job of both), it also still manages to give a slight bit of air to your face and plenty to your arms.

How do I put this? Ear plugs are optional and you're not getting blown about, but it still feels like you're riding a bike.

Bubble raises the screen quite a bit forward of the stock screen.

Not as tall or wide as the Puig, but quite a bit bigger than stock. Puig is also a light tint screen, but not as light as the nearly clear National Cycle. I like that, you can see through it in it's highest setting in low light.

Screens on it's highest setting in all these photos.

Look at that sexy bitch!

Not yet Giuseppe!

See the lines on the pavement, no lensing effect.

All manner of crazy refractions going on here, trippy! Note the halo from the light off the satnav. Hope it's OK at night, never tried it.

Conclusion
The riot shield is a winner, takes a bullet and does a jolly good job of making riding comfy and feel right.
Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 06:51:08 PM by Darth

Offline schnuffi

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: V2, 1000LT
  • City / Town: Medicine Hat
Re: National Cycle VStream - Full review comparison to Puig and photos
Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 11:58:05 PM
Thanks for the info.  I need to do something.  I spend a fair bit of time on the Highway and seem to be getting buffeted with too much noise.  It does get pretty windy off the prairie but even when its not it feels like its blowing a gale.
Madstat or this one I think.

Offline frenchminet

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys GT 2016
  • City / Town: ALES
Reply #2 on: September 13, 2016, 07:18:53 AM
Hi Darth, you've got me worried as I may have ordered the wrong size... :012:

The Vstream looks a wee bit shorter than the Puig and I remember riding with the Puig nearly all the way up. My main concern is noise: when you were cruising along at 85, how does the Vstream compare to the Puig: same thing, quieter, noisier? :187:

Last, forget the price, looks, plastic, etc: which do you prefer, the Vstream or the Puig??
There are many old bikers
There are many reckless bikers
There are few old and reckless bikers...

Offline Darth

• Versys Pro
Reply #3 on: September 13, 2016, 02:02:07 PM
Frenchminet Don't worry man.

1 - I got terrible buffeting on all but the highest setting on the Puig, so I rode with the Puig all the way up too. I think the problem was that not enough air was getting under the bottom of the Puig to equalise the pressure.
No such problem on the Vstream.

2 - The Puig felt like I was in a car, it was comfy, but I lost all sensation that I was on a bike and on a hot day I got no air whatsoever when I opened my visor.
Again, the Vsteam beats it hands down here.

3 - With the Vstream on it's highest setting I could easily have cruised for hours on the motorway without ear plugs. It's not complete silence like the Puig, but I was as comfy as the Puig and the top of the screen wasn't near my line of sight like the Puig was. I stood up slightly to find where the air started and it was about an inch above my seating position. Not sure how they managed that! (Correction, maybe not as much as an inch, but I did have to stand up slightly to find it)
So, the Vstream is a better design.

The Vstream pulls off the neat trick of shielding roaring wind and buffeting, but you still get the sensation of the speed you're doing AND you still get a little air through your helmet when you open the vents. I prefer the Vstream.
Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 02:24:18 PM by Darth

Offline frenchminet

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys GT 2016
  • City / Town: ALES
Reply #4 on: September 13, 2016, 02:09:23 PM
Thanks and have one on me !

:031:
There are many old bikers
There are many reckless bikers
There are few old and reckless bikers...

Offline Irlander

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1k
  • City / Town: West Midlands
Reply #5 on: September 13, 2016, 03:19:06 PM
Thx for the review. I'm in the process of reading up on all the various screens that fit the Versys 1000. I'm leaning towards the Puig Touring Screen at the moment, with perhaps the Givi in second place. At the moment I ride with the std screen fully up, but its about 2" too short. Have also been considering getting one of those little deflectors to fit to the std screen, but they seem to cost as much as a full windscreen. At least on this bike I don't have to hunt around for a replacement seat, as for
only the third time ever, std seat is fine for me ;-)

Offline Darth

• Versys Pro
Reply #6 on: September 13, 2016, 03:32:31 PM
Frenchminet I know you were worried about the Vstream being so clear and that it might melt your dash.

1 - The top side of a magnifying glass (the side that gathers the sunlight) is convex. The actual amplification of the light is done by the underside, which is also convex. If the underside were concave, it wouldn't magnify the light. The underside of the Vstream is concave. Instead of directing the light towards the center and concentrating it, the light is dispersed at angles AWAY from the center. This means that only a very small portion of sunlight is being sent towards the dash, it's actually less likely to melt your dash than a flat screen, as there's less surface area aiming at it.
Think of two billiard balls, if the ball hits the center of the second ball, it goes straight, but if it hits the curved edge of the ball, it goes off at an angle away from the center.

2 - The bubble raises the screen forward, so it doesn't overhang the dash like the standard screen. The sunlight would have to be at a very high angle to go through the screen and onto your dash.

Irlander, I had one of those clip on deflector on a previous bike, meeh, it did something, but not much. Yea with you on the seat, I don't use my airhawk any more.

Schnuffi, I had a Madstad on my previous bike (Tiger 800). Great screen and a near identical screen to the one they do for the Versys, but I dropped the bike, just a tip over and the screen smashed to pieces on a barrier at the side of the road. Not sure how well the satnav would work with it as you couldn't adjust the angle, had the same issue on the Tiger, so that and the fact I lost a load of cash when it broke made me decide not to go for it this time. Like I say, it was a great screen though.
Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 04:28:17 PM by Darth

Offline Darth

• Versys Pro
Reply #7 on: September 13, 2016, 06:19:51 PM
What I wrote is incorrect. A convex top surface DOES send light towards the center. Having thought about it, I seem to recall a type of lens that concentrates light that's convex on the outside and concave on the inside, I forget the name for it. It doesn't magnify the center of an image in the same way a lens with two convex surfaces does and the focal point is different. A lot of it's to do with the thickness of the glass.
Anyhow, the screen isn't a round lens, it's spread on a flat plain and it's aim is not at the dash, that plus the fact the bubble raises it away from the dash means I can't see it being a problem.

Offline schnuffi

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: V2, 1000LT
  • City / Town: Medicine Hat
Reply #8 on: September 13, 2016, 07:35:31 PM
Thanks Darth, great info.
It gets hot here, so that's useful to know. Ice on the cars this morning though :5:

Offline Darth

• Versys Pro
Reply #9 on: September 13, 2016, 07:57:52 PM
Ice already! Wow.
My gran was born in Alberta, got an old sepia photograph of her as a bundled up baby in the arms of my great grandmother. Was taken on the porch of their log cabin. My great grandpa looked like he wiped his arse with grizzly bears.

waggish