Sonny Sonny
1 Posts
Vadim Vadim
1 Posts
Claude
1 Posts
weljo2001 weljo2001
1 Posts

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: OEM Bridgestones done at 5k  (Read 11213 times)

Offline mikep

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Satsuma 2015
  • City / Town: Lafayette, LA
OEM Bridgestones done at 5k
« on: October 10, 2016, 07:27:28 PM »
Hit 5k miles this weekend coming back from OK.  Rear tire (OEM BS T30) is worn out!   5,000 miles!  Not buying those.   The front still looks like it has almost half the thread left, not cupped or wearing funny. 

Is the T30 EVO a totally different tire compared to the T30?

Thinking of getting Avons.  Some of you liked them, right?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 07:33:15 PM by mikep »

Offline Westie

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Kawasaki versys
  • City / Town: South shields
Re: OEM Bridgestones done at 5k
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 07:38:02 PM »
Watching for replies on this one as I will be needing a new rear very soon.All advice taken on board.Good luck.
I

Offline mikep

• Versys Pro
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 08:02:58 PM »
Now, I'm kinda thinking of getting just a T30 Evo for the rear and running the similar pair until the front wears out.   Cheap option for the time being.

I see American Motorcycle tire has the rear EVO in a GT spec and regular flavor ($126.35 shipped).

Anybody run the GT?,  Side walls too rigid? 
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 08:10:09 PM by mikep »

Offline saddlebag

• Versys Master
  • Bike: V1K
  • City / Town: Ohiya
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 01:34:59 PM »
*Originally Posted by mikep [+]
Hit 5k miles this weekend coming back from OK.  Rear tire (OEM BS T30) is worn out!   5,000 miles!  Not buying those.   The front still looks like it has almost half the thread left, not cupped or wearing funny. 

Is the T30 EVO a totally different tire compared to the T30?

Thinking of getting Avons.  Some of you liked them, right?

Don't want to disappoint you, but so far, of the 3 other tires I've tried, the OEM rear Stone lasted the longest. I got ~6k out of mine. My current Metz Roadtec 01 will probably match it, but I doubt it'll last much longer. I have about 5200 miles on it now. It's worn incredibly nicely with no noticeable flat spots, but it's quickly becoming a racing slick...

Offline Bayonet

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000 2015
  • City / Town: North Essex
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 03:04:26 PM »
I've just received a new set of Avon Storm 2s this afternoon, after being very happy with the set I have worn out. Will see if I get time to fit them this weekend. £150 inc delivery.

Done 12,400 miles on the current set, rear is slightly square and close to 1.5mm left in the centre of the tread, front is still looking okay if a bit tired.
2015 Versys 1000- 71,000 miles, 1 frayed starter circuit wire, 10 shims (over two checks), 6 rear tyres, 8 front tyres, 9 oil changes, 2 sets of plugs, 2 air filter, 8 fork seals,  1 set of head race bearings, 2 chain and sprocket sets, 4 screens, 4 pairs of front brake pads, 2 pair of rear pads (old ones wouldn't' wear out) 9 washes and counting.

Offline vagrant

• Versys Pro
  • 15 candy Tangerine, 15 V7 Guzzi, 01 Guzzi Californ
  • Bike: 15 Orange
  • City / Town: Gainesville Ga.
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2016, 07:23:32 PM »
*Originally Posted by saddlebag [+]
Don't want to disappoint you, but so far, of the 3 other tires I've tried, the OEM rear Stone lasted the longest. I got ~6k out of mine. My current Metz Roadtec 01 will probably match it, but I doubt it'll last much longer. I have about 5200 miles on it now. It's worn incredibly nicely with no noticeable flat spots, but it's quickly becoming a racing slick...

too bad. I was going to try these next after liking the Z6 so much.
looks like now I will try the storms next unless there is another super low closeout price next spring.
He is free who lives as he chooses
My people skills are just fine. It's my tolerance of idiots that needs work.
Why do I have to press one for English when you're just going to transfer me
to someone I can't understand anyway?

Offline mikep

• Versys Pro
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2016, 07:40:31 PM »
I just ordered a new set of EVO's for 225 bucks.  5k is not satisfactory mileage as far as I'm concerned, but wtf. 

Offline 100milesaway

• Versys God
  • Bike: Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Leyburn. N Yorks
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2016, 08:03:44 PM »
I swear by Avon Storm 3D XMs.  Unpresedented mileage.  I have never had a tyre on any bike that I have owned (38 of em) that does more than 5 thousand miles, The Storm 3 Ds double that, just amazing. Good grip, even when the roads wet.  Fantastic all round tyre that is just perfect for the big V. :152:
If man evolved from monkeys, why are there still monkeys?

Offline saddlebag

• Versys Master
  • Bike: V1K
  • City / Town: Ohiya
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2016, 08:29:08 PM »
*Originally Posted by vagrant [+]
too bad. I was going to try these next after liking the Z6 so much.
looks like now I will try the storms next unless there is another super low closeout price next spring.

The Avon guy is in England. Cooler and rainier than Georgia. They also don't have your twisty roads. Road surfaces probably different too.
If you get anything that sticks and lasts 12k miles in Georgia, I'd suggest you become a spokesperson for that brand. They will put every other tire mfg out of business.

Offline vagrant

• Versys Pro
  • 15 candy Tangerine, 15 V7 Guzzi, 01 Guzzi Californ
  • Bike: 15 Orange
  • City / Town: Gainesville Ga.
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2016, 09:15:14 PM »
here's a great example of what can be done if Mfg's. wanted to.
I have over 170,000. miles on 2 different Moto Guzzi's'. a 1998 and a 2001 EV better known as a California. when Dunlop made the 491 130/90/17 that fit the rear I got 12-13000 miles and changed them out because they were square. they could have gone 2000 more on a straight interstate. I have tried everything ever built since 1999 and never got more than 5000 . I never had a traction issue with that tire so it proves they can build a mileage tire they just won't. too much lost profit!
He is free who lives as he chooses
My people skills are just fine. It's my tolerance of idiots that needs work.
Why do I have to press one for English when you're just going to transfer me
to someone I can't understand anyway?

Recent Topics

waggish