Top Posters Today

Keener Keener
3 Posts
Sonny Sonny
3 Posts
uralrob
2 Posts

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: OEM Bridgestones done at 5k  (Read 11936 times)

Offline saddlebag

• Versys God
  • Bike: V1K
  • City / Town: Ohiya
Re: OEM Bridgestones done at 5k
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2016, 09:23:58 PM »
*Originally Posted by vagrant [+]
here's a great example of what can be done if Mfg's. wanted to.
I have over 170,000. miles on 2 different Moto Guzzi's'. a 1998 and a 2001 EV better known as a California. when Dunlop made the 491 130/90/17 that fit the rear I got 12-13000 miles and changed them out because they were square. they could have gone 2000 more on a straight interstate. I have tried everything ever built since 1999 and never got more than 5000 . I never had a traction issue with that tire so it proves they can build a mileage tire they just won't. too much lost profit!

I used to get 10k or so out of my cruiser tires too. They pushed about 80 peak hp and had a little over 30° lean angle. And for what they could do, they were plenty sticky enough. Some may find they aren't for a bike with the Versys capability.
I've ran all kinds of sport and sport touring radial tires on many different bikes sport/sport touring over the last couple of decades. They all pretty much last me 5-6k miles on the rear. Fronts as long and usually longer except on the FJR which ate front tires for breakfast.

Offline VerMag

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: V1K 2014 Green
  • City / Town: Laval QC
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2016, 02:43:09 AM »
I could confirm 100milesaway comments on Avon Storm 3D XM. Bought a set at the beginning of July, now got 5K kms on them and they just look as new, very good grip on dry and wet.  :152:

Offline mikep

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Satsuma 2015
  • City / Town: Lafayette, LA
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2016, 04:07:54 PM »
I guess maybe I should've sprung for the Avons, but the EVOs were so damn cheap I couldn't resist.  I maybe regretting that decision in about 5k miles, however.

Saddlebag; I have to agree with you on the FJR eating front tires.  I got tired (pun intended) of starting a trip with good tires only to get frustrated trying to get that thing to turn with the front tires started wearing like a pyramid. 

Offline Strommer

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 1000GT
  • City / Town: West Herts
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2016, 04:36:09 PM »
I replaced mine just after 5k with the Evo version. So far very pleased with them, grip in the wet is excellent and better than the originals I reckon.
Only done about 1500 mls so far so cant tell if they last longer, but I value staying upright for my own longevity rather more than the tyres.

Offline Kidder

• Versys Pro
  • City / Town: Fort Worth, TX
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2016, 05:44:07 PM »
My OEM rear was done at 4k miles.  I replaced it with a Continental Road Attack 2 Evo which I was hoping to get 6k miles out of.  I got 3100 miles out of it before cord started showing.  Unfortunately, living in Texas, I wear out the center of the tire long before the sides.  I have a Pilot Power 3 on the rear now because it's what the dealer had in stock (I was on a trip in Arkansas when I had to get the tire replaced - definitely not planned).  I expect to get 3k miles out of the Power.  I will be replacing it with a Pilot Road 2.

I guess I'm a squid since I'm only getting that kind of mileage out of the rear tire.  But, the power is fun to utilize with the go fast twisty thing on the right bar.

OEM tire:

Continental Road Attack 2

Offline mikep

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Satsuma 2015
  • City / Town: Lafayette, LA
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2016, 07:16:08 PM »
Kidder;
Your Conti pic shows exactly where the REALLY hard rubber needs to be. 

Somebody may us a tire like that, please. 

Offline 100milesaway

• Versys God
  • Bike: Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Leyburn. N Yorks
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2016, 09:08:54 PM »
The picture of the Conti looks likes like the wheel has been spinning, with the bike going nowhere. :027: :lostit:
If man evolved from monkeys, why are there still monkeys?

Offline Rob1963

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000 V2
  • City / Town: Abu Dhabi
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2016, 05:49:58 AM »
Has anyone tried Metzeler Z8's?

I will be getting a set next week after 11,000 km on the OEM. They probably have another 1,000 or so left in them but the rear is super square.

Offline Kidder

• Versys Pro
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2016, 12:59:29 PM »
*Originally Posted by mikep [+]
Kidder;
Your Conti pic shows exactly where the REALLY hard rubber needs to be. 

Somebody may us a tire like that, please.
It's a dual compound tire. Also, if you notice there are no treads in the middle of the tire which means no wear bars.

Offline Kidder

• Versys Pro
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2016, 01:01:35 PM »
*Originally Posted by 100milesaway [+]
The picture of the Conti looks likes like the wheel has been spinning, with the bike going nowhere. :027: :lostit:
That's how I feel when I get bad mileage out of a rear tire. And, I check the pressure once a week.

Recent Topics

waggish