Top Posters Today

oldtimer oldtimer
1 Posts
sporthog93
1 Posts
Sonny Sonny
1 Posts
weljo2001 weljo2001
1 Posts


Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: OEM Bridgestones done at 5k  (Read 9933 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Paul_Smith

  • Versys Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 949
  • Bike: V1K 2016 Black
  • Country: ie
Re: OEM Bridgestones done at 5k
« Reply #90 on: February 08, 2018, 10:04:57 AM »
*Originally Posted by TYKE [+]
After watching a video report today I was surprised to learn that OEM tyres as fitted in production may not be the same quality (lower quality )  as the same brand/type sold in the aftermarket, (higher quality ) has anyone else heard about this  :question:
I have heard that a few times, and while I don't know if it is true, or if it is true for all OEMs, it does match my my experience where the second set of tyres usually outlast the first even though the first had the gentler life associated with breaking in the bike.

Offline TYKE

  • Versys Mega God
  • ******
  • Posts: 6315
  • Bike: GREEN, 2017 GT
  • City / Town: Ballymena, Antrim
  • Country: gb
Re: OEM Bridgestones done at 5k
« Reply #91 on: February 08, 2018, 02:02:54 PM »
*Originally Posted by Paul_Smith [+]
I have heard that a few times, and while I don't know if it is true, or if it is true for all OEMs, it does match my my experience where the second set of tyres usually outlast the first even though the first had the gentler life associated with breaking in the bike.

It's an interesting possibility Paul, I'm really not sure how tyre manufacturers could/would produce different quality tyres under the same brand and model name  :187: 

I have heard of others who report a 'better' tyre second time around as it were
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Offline Paul_Smith

  • Versys Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 949
  • Bike: V1K 2016 Black
  • Country: ie
Re: OEM Bridgestones done at 5k
« Reply #92 on: February 08, 2018, 04:40:08 PM »
*Originally Posted by TYKE [+]
It's an interesting possibility Paul, I'm really not sure how tyre manufacturers could/would produce different quality tyres under the same brand and model name  :187: 

I have heard of others who report a 'better' tyre second time around as it were
Why not? No way are the big manufacturers paying full retail for the amount of tyres they buy, so using "special order", OEM version, manufacturers specs etc., all give the tyre makers the opportunity to cut a few corners. Again though, I have no evidence that it is actually happening.

Online Crosshairs

  • Versys Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 659
  • Bike: 2016 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: East Coast
  • Country: us
Re: OEM Bridgestones done at 5k
« Reply #93 on: February 08, 2018, 04:56:41 PM »
*Originally Posted by Paul_Smith [+]
Why not? No way are the big manufacturers paying full retail for the amount of tyres they buy, so using "special order", OEM version, manufacturers specs etc., all give the tyre makers the opportunity to cut a few corners. Again though, I have no evidence that it is actually happening.

I know for  fact its done with some OEM auto manufacturers,, no idea if its  done with motorcycles

Offline TYKE

  • Versys Mega God
  • ******
  • Posts: 6315
  • Bike: GREEN, 2017 GT
  • City / Town: Ballymena, Antrim
  • Country: gb
Re: OEM Bridgestones done at 5k
« Reply #94 on: February 08, 2018, 08:40:09 PM »
I  guess I'm too trusting, I do feel that my OEM Bridgestones are now feeling less confidence inspiring  after less than 2500 miles
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Offline PhilDHY

  • Versys Member
  • **
  • Posts: 46
  • Bike: Versys 1000 2013
  • City / Town: York
  • Country: gb
Re: OEM Bridgestones done at 5k
« Reply #95 on: February 08, 2018, 08:52:56 PM »
IMO that's Bridgestone for you. I would need a lot of convincing to part with any of my folding beer coupons to fit their tyres again.

Offline mikep

  • Versys Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 412
  • Bike: Satsuma 2015
  • City / Town: Lafayette, LA
  • Country: us
Re: OEM Bridgestones done at 5k
« Reply #96 on: February 08, 2018, 09:14:13 PM »
My second set of T30 Evo's behaved just like and got the exact mileage of the OE's.  Seemed the same.

I some ways I think the OE tires are better (at least on autos) than comsumer versions.  Ever notice how "exact" replacement tires don't seem to balance as well and vibrate more than OE's? 

Offline 100milesaway

  • Versys God
  • *****
  • Posts: 3878
  • Bike: Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Leyburn. N Yorks
  • Country: england
Re: OEM Bridgestones done at 5k
« Reply #97 on: February 08, 2018, 09:39:33 PM »
Like  Mike, my oe T30s did ok on mileage, as did the T30 evo and they both worked  great. Furthermore the oe tyres that came on our Land Rover freelander did an amazing 72,000 miles on the oe fitment rubber.  :notsure:
If man evolved from monkeys, why are there still monkeys?

Offline Paul_Smith

  • Versys Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 949
  • Bike: V1K 2016 Black
  • Country: ie
Re: OEM Bridgestones done at 5k
« Reply #98 on: February 09, 2018, 09:42:03 AM »
*Originally Posted by mikep [+]
My second set of T30 Evo's behaved just like and got the exact mileage of the OE's.  Seemed the same.

I some ways I think the OE tires are better (at least on autos) than comsumer versions.  Ever notice how "exact" replacement tires don't seem to balance as well and vibrate more than OE's?
As far as I know, the OEM tyres were T30's not T30 Evo's on the '15 and '16 models.  Maybe they changed for the 2017? 

Offline Rickrides

  • Versys Member
  • **
  • Posts: 31
  • Bike: Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Grand Terrace, CA
  • Country: us
Re: OEM Bridgestones done at 5k
« Reply #99 on: May 17, 2018, 10:51:05 PM »
*Originally Posted by mikep [+]
Hit 5k miles this weekend coming back from OK.  Rear tire (OEM BS T30) is worn out!   5,000 miles!  Not buying those.   The front still looks like it has almost half the thread left, not cupped or wearing funny. 

Is the T30 EVO a totally different tire compared to the T30?

Thinking of getting Avons.  Some of you liked them, right?

My OEM Bridgestone rear made it to 6k.  Front has some miles left.

Yes, I have used Avon Storm II Ultras and 3Ds on my '99 ZRX1100 for several tire changes and have really liked them.  I just put the new 3D XMs on the ZRX and they feel great.  I also just installed a 3D XM on the rear of the Versys and I'll be breaking that in on some of my favorite mountain roads tomorrow. 

 



Recent Topics


waggish