Author Topic: Baby Versys 300  (Read 3532 times)

Offline 100milesaway

• Versys God
  • Bike: Versys 650 MK3
  • City / Town: Leyburn. N Yorks
Re: Baby Versys 300
Reply #10 on: February 06, 2017, 10:00:03 PM
*Originally Posted by The Pootler [+]
Saw this at the NEC show and liked what I saw, adding in the extras only improved the looks. Looking at the marketing vid they show it two up as they did with the original V1 launch suggesting it isn't under powered.  As I am coming to the end of my riding life it might be one to trade down to once I start struggle to get my V1 off the stand!  I once met a 75 year old on a CCM who said it had kept him riding and alive so more bikes like this is good thing!
Fully agree, there will come a time when if we desire to keep biking, we will have to go smaller and lighter in our choice of bike. Or jack biking in altogether :5:.   The latter would be my route. :152:
If man evolved from monkeys, why are there still monkeys?

Offline Tall Man

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2015 KLZ1000 LT
  • City / Town: Pennsylvania
Reply #11 on: February 07, 2017, 12:02:37 AM
I'll pass, thanks.

Where entry level, light weight, good fuel economy and the rest is concerned, there's much to be said for a lightweight dual sport motorcycle. Many offerings in that class can duplicate almost everything a street bike like the Versys 300 is capable of, with the added benefit of being suited for true off-road riding if and when the mood strikes. More bang for the buck, so to speak.

And since my bucks are finite, I try to choose wisely. 

Offline 100milesaway

• Versys God
  • Bike: Versys 650 MK3
  • City / Town: Leyburn. N Yorks
Reply #12 on: February 07, 2017, 07:59:46 AM
*Originally Posted by Tall Man [+]
I'll pass, thanks.

Where entry level, light weight, good fuel economy and the rest is concerned, there's much to be said for a lightweight dual sport motorcycle. Many offerings in that class can duplicate almost everything a street bike like the Versys 300 is capable of, with the added benefit of being suited for true off-road riding if and when the mood strikes. More bang for the buck, so to speak.

Yes, but when we are in our 80s will we still be riding on anything other than tarmac :question: :027: :notsure:
If man evolved from monkeys, why are there still monkeys?

Offline saddlebag

• Versys God
  • Bike: V1K
  • City / Town: Ohiya
Reply #13 on: February 07, 2017, 10:47:36 AM
*Originally Posted by Tall Man [+]
I'll pass, thanks.

Good point. If one has the money & facilities for more than one, two more narrowly focused makes a lot of sense. If I could only have one, I'd probably go for the Kaw with its smoother twin and more comfortable ergos. I may go for it anyway, simply because it's a good 60-70 miles to get out to the woods where the entrepreneurs are cooking the meth, growing the weed, and slaying the families. The Kaw sans ABS is cheaper than a local XR650 that's marked down right now too. I had it's little 350 brother about a century ago and still remember the numbness (vibration) and bruised calf (kickstart) that went with it.
Besides, I'm not good enough off road for it to make much difference.

Offline Tall Man

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2015 KLZ1000 LT
  • City / Town: Pennsylvania
Reply #14 on: February 07, 2017, 04:23:02 PM
*Originally Posted by 100milesaway [+]
Yes, but when we are in our 80s will we still be riding on anything other than tarmac :question: :027: :notsure:
I hope I am, mate.

Meet Erv Daley. 90 years old. He purchased a DR650 (same as mine) new in September 2005. As of June 2016, Mr. Daley has ridden his Suzuki 145K miles/233K kilometers. He confirms that those miles "includes plenty of off-roading". Erv goes on to say that he added a roll chart for use when riding the Trans America Trail. Win.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/90-year-old-rider-and-his-2005-suzuki-dr650

Yes, when I'm four score, I too hope to ride on something other than tarmac. May we all have similar goals bundled inside us.
:031:

Offline juliang

• Versys Pro
  • the Boro Tennessee but originally London England
  • Bike: Versys 1000 LT,
  • City / Town: Murfreesboro, TN
Reply #15 on: February 07, 2017, 06:40:58 PM
That was a good little read. He is an inspiring fellow

Offline stlee29

• Versys God
  • Good rides.....
  • Bike: V1K Mk3 2019
  • City / Town: Penang
Reply #16 on: July 28, 2020, 01:37:43 PM
This is a bloody great Bike....!

My V1K Blog: https://www.versys1000.com/index.php/topic,12733.0.html

Offline chucksklrst

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2019 Versys 1K LT,SE
  • City / Town: Aurora, Colorado.
Reply #17 on: August 01, 2020, 04:38:02 AM
I have a Baby Versys X300  along with my 1000K SE also. Just did a 200 mile round trip  lunch run with the bike. Had to run about 70 miles of freeway. It ran just fine at 75 to 80 mph via GPS reading. My X300 is a 2017 and it have 8000 miles on it now. Easy to work on. Valve check is a bit of a pain due to close quarters. I occasionally take it off the pavement on to dirt / gravel roads. I am too old to be doing the more tech double track / single track. Great little bike for the price. Not a real dirt bike but will hold it's own in moderate off road stuff. One does need to keep the bike running in the power band. High revving motor. Red lines at 12000 rpm.

I am going to be 71 years old and my FJR is getting heavy. Really enjoy the 80 lbs less weight of my big 1K SE and also the 250 lbs less of the X300.
Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 04:54:28 AM by chucksklrst
Chuck Henderson, Aurora, Colorado
RIDE a little FASTER, RIDE a little FURTHER
https://www.facebook.com/chuck.henderson.980
14 FJR1300A (Ruby FeeJeR) 17 VX300 (Little Gray Bike)
19 Versys 1000LTSE (Flying Nun)13 V-STrom 650 (WeeIII)