Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Add turn signal dash light in view  (Read 1613 times)

Online vincentder

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: versys 1000 gt
  • City / Town: Zoetermeer
Add turn signal dash light in view
« on: March 13, 2017, 09:44:03 PM »
Hi all,

Been doing a bit of self reflection and truth be told, for some reason I cannot get it into my system to turn my turn signal off every time I use it.  :192:

90% of the time I manage obviously, but it's the last 10% that gets me worried and might get me (or someone else) into trouble one of these days.

Since somebody already invented something that beeps after you've left it on after a while I'm guessing I'm not alone in this.

Problem is this really sounds stupid :124: when waiting for the traffic light. (no as stupid as me forgetting my turn signal, but admitting this here and displaying it at every left or right turn traffic light are 2 different things :whistle:)

Normally I do realize it's on when I look at the dash, but with my satnav there blocking one indicator and generally looking at the road ahead (or where I need to look) it's outside my peripheral view.

That's why I want to add an indicator within my peripheral view.
(above my satnav)

To do this I need/want to tap into the signal of the indicator relay.

Does anybody know what connection is used for the relay, I want to tap into the signal without damaging the original wires (not a positap/scotchlock fan)

And also what is the voltage in that circuit and is it stable or does it change during rpm change?

I have a led which I intend to use for this but I need a resistance to limit the voltage on it to prevent it from breaking down, and making it too low would impact brightness.

Phase 2 would be to see whether this small load would impact the blinking frequency, but I think this will not be an issue.

Any help is appreciated and mocking me I can handle too :138:

Offline TNGW1500SE

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2016 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Oliver Springs, TN
Re: Add turn signal dash light in view
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 02:36:39 AM »
Some aftermarket mirrors have arrow shaped LED's on the glass. Might solve the problem.

"The feeling of the wind in your face will lift your heart." Phil Collins / On My Way

Offline 100milesaway

• Versys God
  • Bike: Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Leyburn. N Yorks
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 04:24:37 AM »
Vincent.   Cure your problem at a stroke.....             Bin the sat nav.             Then all will be normal again.  OK that's enough mocking for today :008: :008: :152:     :028:
If man evolved from monkeys, why are there still monkeys?

Online vincentder

• Versys Pro
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 05:51:51 AM »
*Originally Posted by TNGW1500SE [+]
Some aftermarket mirrors have arrow shaped LED's on the glass. Might solve the problem.

Although I like the idea of it (definitely look there once in a while  :002:)  the standard mirrors look great and I want to keep them. (first gen hasn't that much going for it in the first place if I believe the general opinion,  so getting rid of at least one thing it's got going might not be the best :008:)

*Originally Posted by 100milesaway [+]
Vincent.   Cure your problem at a stroke.....             Bin the sat nav.             Then all will be normal again.  OK that's enough mocking for today :008: :008: :152:     :028:

:notsure: thanks Geoff, but that poses a whole different problem. I'm with the generation that didn't learn to read a map #thegoodolddays  :008:

Online Bayonet

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000 2015
  • City / Town: North Essex
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 12:59:45 PM »
Don't suppose you could just run a small piece of fibre optic cable from the bulb to something on the screen above your sat nav so you see the flashing there?

My right turn warning light gets hidden by my Tom-Tom when in the vertical position (the sat nav, not me).
2015 Versys 1000- 64,000 miles, 1 frayed starter circuit wire, 10 shims (over two checks), 6 rear tyres, 7 front tyres, 8 oil changes, 2 sets of plugs, 2 air filter, 8 fork seals,  1 set of head race bearings, 2 chain and sprocket sets, 4 screens, 4 pairs of front brake pads, 2 pair of rear pads (old ones wouldn't' wear out) 8 washes and counting.

Offline Paul_Smith

• Versys Master
  • Bike: V1K 2016 Black
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 10:18:14 AM »
If you don't want to bin the sat-nav, at least consider moving it. Something like the SW-motech sat-nav mount will put it higher in your eye-line and unblock your dash display. http://shop.sw-motech.com/cgi-bin/cosmoshop/lshop.cgi?action=showdetail&wkid=149000483319144&ls=en&nc=1490005102-27808&rubnum=brands.kawasaki.versys1000&artnum=GPS.08.646.10800/B&id=96&gesamt_zeilen=50Tshowrub--brands.kawasaki.versys1000&typid=248370748

Offline Ace50

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Super Tenere
  • City / Town: VA
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 04:28:20 PM »
I've added this on a few bikes, these 12V LED's tied directly to the signals and point them directly at my face
 and up as high as I can get them.
On my Tenere I've even added a switch to turn them off (like at night), full power, or in-line with a photo-resistor
to dim with the ambient lighting.
I love this setup.

Online vincentder

• Versys Pro
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 09:36:25 PM »
*Originally Posted by Ace50 [+]
I've added this on a few bikes, these 12V LED's tied directly to the signals and point them directly at my face
 and up as high as I can get them.
On my Tenere I've even added a switch to turn them off (like at night), full power, or in-line with a photo-resistor
to dim with the ambient lighting.
I love this setup.

That is exactly what I was looking for, would be nice to know the details of your setup.

Offline stlee29

• Versys Master
  • Good rides.....
  • Bike: V1K 2013
  • City / Town: Penang
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 11:26:40 PM »
Wow..that nice work.

Went the audio way, installed a loud beeper (was cheap US$3). Stripped the end and wrapped around the relay connector ends. Can be heard with a full face helmet on.
This is a bloody great Bike....!

My V1K Blog: https://www.versys1000.com/index.php/topic,12733.0.html

Offline Ace50

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Super Tenere
  • City / Town: VA
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2017, 12:23:27 AM »
*Originally Posted by vincentder [+]
That is exactly what I was looking for, would be nice to know the details of your setup.
Just tie something like these into the signals:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5x-5mm-12v-green-Pre-Wired-5mm-water-clear-round-LED-Bezel-Holder-Light-Lamp/131487750190?hash=item1e9d47d82e:g:P2QAAOSwymxVLoap&vxp=mtr

You'll have to figure out the mounting as I don't have a V1K.
If you want to wire-in a photo resistor, I'd can post a schematic of it possibly.

Recent Topics