Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: PUIG SCREEN QUESTION  (Read 6577 times)

Offline MLC

• Versys Pro
  • MLC
  • Bike: 2015 V1K GT
  • City / Town: Southport
Re: PUIG SCREEN QUESTION
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2017, 09:35:45 AM »
Can't get a better discount than that! :152: :152:

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: GREEN, 2017 GT
  • City / Town: Ballymena, Antrim
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2017, 12:07:17 PM »
*Originally Posted by MLC [+]
Can't get a better discount than that! :152: :152:

:008:   mind you it hasn't arrived yet   :008:  I'm sure it will
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

Roger (Rog)

Offline Bike_nerd

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2015 Versys 1000 LT
  • City / Town: Edmonton
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2017, 07:07:51 PM »
*Originally Posted by TYKE [+]
The larger Kawasaki accessories screen actually looks like a very good alternative option (it would have made a great standard fitment)    :028:   

It does look like a good alternative, but doesn't seem to be available through Kawasaki for the 2015/2016 models any more.  The web site only shows part #99994-0930 for the 2017 model.  Others here have said the OEM screen is made by MRA and works well.  I like the idea of having the Kawi logo on the screen but if Kawi isn't selling it anymore, I will go with the Puig.

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2017, 02:38:20 PM »
The screen for my 2017 model has now arrived from Puig, and it is excellent although I haven't fitted it yet

And it is F.O C ....now that's what I call a result  :028:   
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

Roger (Rog)

Offline Lurch71

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2017 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Orange, Ca
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2017, 09:33:57 PM »
I have bought a Puig Touring screen, which looks great BUT whilst offering it up to fit it is obvious that the 4 holes in the screen (through which the rubber grommets and top hat spacers fit) are not large enough so the grommets and spacers will not fit

My bike is a 2017 model, the instructions claimed that original fittings can be used....they cannot

Has anyone else had this issue ? 

BTW fitting these screens is one of the most frustrating and fiddly jobs on the bike  :157:   

Yes, I had this problem.  I purchased the screen from my local dealer.  They drilled out the holes making them big enough to fit the rubber washers.  The screen fit great after that.  It's the Puig 5999 screen. 
60% of the time it works every time!!!

Offline Netkovski

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: Versys 1000 2017
  • City / Town: Skopje
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2017, 09:37:32 PM »
I have bought the same Touring screen and noticed that the 4 holes are smaller. Lot smaller. You will have to drill through them and make them wider. The polycarbonate (lexan) will not crack. Just make sure you use steel drill bit and set your drill to "slowest"without "hammer action". You want to drill slowly thus avoiding overheating the lexan as it will disform from the heat. Do not use drills for wood as they heat up even faster. I used 0.9mm or 1mm, can't remember and it worked great. Just measure on the original screen. The drill bit should go through the original hole slightly touching the surface of the lexan.

Good luck

I have bought a Puig Touring screen, which looks great BUT whilst offering it up to fit it is obvious that the 4 holes in the screen (through which the rubber grommets and top hat spacers fit) are not large enough so the grommets and spacers will not fit

My bike is a 2017 model, the instructions claimed that original fittings can be used....they cannot

Has anyone else had this issue ? 

BTW fitting these screens is one of the most frustrating and fiddly jobs on the bike  :157:   

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2017, 08:22:47 AM »
*Originally Posted by Netkovski [+]
I have bought the same Touring screen and noticed that the 4 holes are smaller. Lot smaller. You will have to drill through them and make them wider. The polycarbonate (lexan) will not crack. Just make sure you use steel drill bit and set your drill to "slowest"without "hammer action". You want to drill slowly thus avoiding overheating the lexan as it will disform from the heat. Do not use drills for wood as they heat up even faster. I used 0.9mm or 1mm, can't remember and it worked great. Just measure on the original screen. The drill bit should go through the original hole slightly touching the surface of the lexan.

Good luck

Thanks for the Info....see my post above    :002: 

Roger (Rog)

Offline rabbott5

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 98 ZG1000/08Wing
  • City / Town: Peru, IL.
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2017, 05:46:47 PM »
*Originally Posted by outdoorgb [+]
Interesting...design change on the 2017? The PUIG fits my 2016 very well. And as stated above, gets easier with practice as I've gone back and forth depending on weather/trip length.

Hope you get this sorted out.
I'm looking at the Puig screen for my 2016 Versys 1000. What is the part number for the clear touring windscreen and any recommended vendors? I'm finding different numbers listed and want to make sure I'm getting the right one. When looking on the Kawasaki website, if you compare stock windscreen #'s they are different from the 2016 to the 2017.

Online Sonny

• Versys God
  • Bike: KLZ1000, VN900C
  • City / Town: DFW, TX
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2017, 08:08:30 PM »
*Originally Posted by Netkovski [+]
Just make sure you use steel drill bit and set your drill to "slowest"without "hammer action". You want to drill slowly thus avoiding overheating the lexan as it will disform from the heat. Do not use drills for wood as they heat up even faster. I used 0.9mm or 1mm, can't remember and it worked great. Just measure on the original screen. The drill bit should go through the original hole slightly touching the surface of the lexan.

Another tip for drilling these materials is, countersink one side a small amount. Then when you drill thru from the other side you will get a clean exit hole and less tendency to crack. But going slow and keeping the cut cool is also important.
G2Ergo throttle tube, Givi Airflow screen, Dan Moto carbon fiber exhaust, Grip Puppies, Moto Werk bar risers, Kaw rad guard

Offline Huckleberry

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Vs 2009, Vs 2016
  • City / Town: Portland, OR
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2017, 04:18:58 AM »
Hey rabbott5- I got the light tint version from Amazon for my 2016 V.  Part #5999H.  Looks like the clear one is 5999W.  Works great for me.  Looks good too !
I've rarely gotten in hot water over something I didn't say.

Dave

Recent Topics

waggish