Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: After Market Gear Indicator...  (Read 2856 times)

Offline olie

• Versys Pro
Re: After Market Gear Indicator...
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2017, 09:33:50 PM »
*Originally Posted by Bike_nerd [+]
I assume going down 2 teeth to a 41 on the back sprocket also changes things enough to wack out the gear indicator?

If I understand it correctly, the OEM gear indicator has the same issues with non-standard sprockets?  So that would leave the GIPro DS from HealTech as the only option because it can be "taught" the new gearing setup. Unfortunately, it's even more money than the OEM GI!

... at the moment I will be riding without a GI... not a big deal deal for me.

Online FootlOZe

• Versys Pro
  • Ulysses Motorcycle Club member
  • Bike: 2012 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Culburra Beach
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2017, 01:22:08 PM »
Thanks TNGW1500SE. I wish I had have seen this prior to my post as it answers all my questions and then some. Great installation.

Craig
FootlOZe
Growing older doesn't mean growing up!

Offline longdog

• Versys God
  • Bike: Kawasaki Versys
  • City / Town: Swansea
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2017, 02:01:16 PM »
*Originally Posted by tall-mike [+]
2 things; The backside of the gear indicator has no locking system to attach it to the back side of your dash, and if you do the 16 tooth gear change ( which I highly recommend) your gear indicator will no longer function correctly.  :012:

Can you tell me why it will not function correctly if you change the gearbox sprocket please? What if you change the rear wheel sprocket?
Titty bars aren't bad if you enjoy being sexually aroused without an outlet. Oh, and they're also convenient if you're in the mood for paying double the normal price for a drink. If I'm in the mood to be treated poorly while giving up large amounts of cash, I visit a BMW dealership

Offline davpag1

• Versys Pro
  • A Brit living abroad
  • Bike: 2016 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Cebu City
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2017, 03:25:52 PM »
Have installed one of these a month back. Generally installation is easy enough using the sticking tape supplied, as mentioned in another post, and attached behind the battery in the correct socket on my 16V1k.

As for usage. Well it doesn't react immediately sometimes, also it moves to a different gear number as you accelerate or slow BEFORE you shift gear.

This is really not a big problem as I use the gauge as a 6th gear indicator, and only as a 'which gear am I in' when in slow traffic.

Overall, for the price its a good add-on. But why they didn't put it in the original dash I can't understand.
If you ever make a trip to the Philippines, get in touch. I may need a courier for some bike items...:)

Offline chris gale

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Verseys 1000 gt
  • City / Town: Gatwick
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2017, 06:12:47 PM »
Know what u mean   rode the bike to the ferry last week at night and the dash space looked like a bloody Xmas tree ...... Gear indicator , spot light indicator , heated grips indicator , full beam , dash lights ...... Still something to look at whilst riding along the M20 at four thirty in the morning
 On a different strand averaged 57 mpg . UK over the thousand mile trip ....could of got to sixty but too busy giving it a handful on the autobahns  :scooter:

Offline zonvanzon

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: KAWASAKI VERSYS 1000
  • City / Town: THESSALONIKI
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2017, 07:47:57 AM »
*Originally Posted by Wrenchy [+]
Hi,

Take a look at this, it may help. I fitted one earlier this year and don't regret it. It works well and reliable so far :152:

https://www.versys1000.com/index.php/topic,17222.0.html

Can we do a conversion to the wires to connect the indicator straight to the original socket? And avoid the socket under the seat?

Offline Crosshairs

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2016 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: East Coast
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2017, 11:29:14 AM »
*Originally Posted by zonvanzon [+]
Can we do a conversion to the wires to connect the indicator straight to the original socket? And avoid the socket under the seat?

I tried that and could not make it work no matter how I switched the wires around...it would light up, but would only display a "0" ....maybe I  missed the right combo , but with only 3 wires, I'm pretty sure I didn't..:) ...who knows....

Offline kotbaun

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: klz1000lt 2016
  • City / Town: brooklyn
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2017, 12:06:59 AM »
v1k 2016 got today same gear indicator from amazon checked its working ok!!! (conecting to diagnostic plug) stil not installed have no time for this(((((
power outlet  bikemaster https://bikemaster.com/12v-15a-standard-cigarette-lighter-socket-for-power-supply.html
good for versys $8.45 save money!!!!!!!)))))
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 12:10:03 AM by kotbaun »

Offline Keener

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2015 Versys 1000
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2017, 03:18:51 PM »
I have to ask...Why do you need to have a gear indicator, I know what gear I am in and in reality it does not matter, when you ride by your tach ..especially on bike like the Versys which has such a flat torque curve ..fifth and sixth gear will pull well from 3000 rpm .
To me its all done by feel ..once you have learned your ratios then even the tach means little .
Not trying to start a feud but I don't get it 

Offline kotbaun

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: klz1000lt 2016
  • City / Town: brooklyn
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2017, 05:41:31 PM »
I came from cruisers jus to understand "sport bike" and all time looking for 7th gear)

Recent Topics

waggish