Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: After Market Gear Indicator...  (Read 3346 times)

Offline Crosshairs

• Versys Master
Re: After Market Gear Indicator...
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2017, 10:33:15 PM »
*Originally Posted by Keener [+]
I have to ask...Why do you need to have a gear indicator, I know what gear I am in and in reality it does not matter, when you ride by your tach ..especially on bike like the Versys which has such a flat torque curve ..fifth and sixth gear will pull well from 3000 rpm .
To me its all done by feel ..once you have learned your ratios then even the tach means little .
Not trying to start a feud but I don't get it

I could just as easily ask you why anyone  needs a tach.. I rode bikes for many years that had no tach and just shifted by ear, I'm sure many others did also........  different people like different things and for some, a gear indicator is nice to have. This is also why they make different bikes in different colors...no 2 people are exactly the same and will prefer different things  :031:

Offline Keener

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2015 Versys 1000
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2017, 10:58:52 PM »

*Originally Posted by Crosshairs [+]
I could just as easily ask you why anyone  needs a tach.. I rode bikes for many years that had no tach and just shifted by ear, I'm sure many others did also........  different people like different things and for some, a gear indicator is nice to have. This is also why they make different bikes in different colors...no 2 people are exactly the same and will prefer different things  :031:
Not so sure on that,  a tach is pretty useful especially when it comes to tuning , or racing but then again racing is not street riding  :7:
I am starting to think that gear indicators are just another farkle that lends itself to more to sparkle than anything else , never needed one myself... but if it floats your boat then go for it.

Offline Crosshairs

• Versys Master
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2017, 11:49:05 PM »
Not so sure on that

Like I said, everyone is different...if you don't find a gear indicator useful,  then don't get a gear indicator..I promise I won't judge you or tell you it's just a farkle......  :001:

Offline Keener

• Versys Pro
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2017, 02:34:20 AM »
*Originally Posted by Crosshairs [+]
Like I said, everyone is different...if you don't find a gear indicator useful,  then don't get a gear indicator..I promise I won't judge you or tell you it's just a farkle......  :001:

I am ok with that.. but i am still curious as to why it is necessary to have one , its really that simple .

Farkles are ok  and most of them are just that  "farkles" if someone wants to hang a little bell on their bike so be it..no worries on my part and i wont judge them for it , as you said everyone is different.
i wonder at the validity of a gear indicator and whether it is necessary  , for me it does not make sense and becomes a farkle...SO enlighten me if you please and share what designates a gear indicator as something other than a farkle .

:002:
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 02:35:55 AM by Keener »

Online weljo2001

• Versys God
  • Bike: 2016 Versys 1000LT
  • City / Town: Norwalk,CA
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2017, 04:10:46 AM »
I am ok with that.. but i am still curious as to why it is necessary to have one , its really that simple .

Farkles are ok  and most of them are just that  "farkles" if someone wants to hang a little bell on their bike so be it..no worries on my part and i wont judge them for it , as you said everyone is different.
i wonder at the validity of a gear indicator and whether it is necessary  , for me it does not make sense and becomes a farkle...SO enlighten me if you please and share what designates a gear indicator as something other than a farkle .

:002:

Some feel it necessary.... Others don't...You're trying to make a big deal out of nothing.....
I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Offline Keener

• Versys Pro
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2017, 04:46:55 AM »
*Originally Posted by weljo2001 [+]

Some feel it necessary.... Others don't...You're trying to make a big deal out of nothing.....

frick...all i want is some one, anyone to do is explain to me WHY they feel that it is necessary to have a gear indicator and perhaps why it would benefit them....as I do not ..and i am absolutely not trying to make a big deal out of nothing ...
again WHAT DOES A GEAR INDICATOR DO FOR THOSE THAT HAVE THEM  AND WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS  .....I personally do not require one or need one  but i am interested in the other side, perhaps i am missing something ...

:142:

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: GREEN, 2017 GT
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2017, 06:05:32 AM »
I have no intention of joining a debate about the necessity of a gear indicator,  but personally I like mine as it confirms to me which gear I am in, which I like, as it saves me having to remember,  however there is also the point that I have successfully ridden bikes without such a feature for many years. It also confirms to me that I don't need to go in search of that elusive 7th gear  :008:   

Gear indicators are seen on most competition cars and bikes too I guess, there is also one on my Audi which includes an arrow suggesting when a higher or lower gear should be selected, I must admit that I don't feel that I benefit from that feature though  :152:   
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Offline Crosshairs

• Versys Master
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2017, 11:45:27 AM »
frick...all i want is some one, anyone to do is explain to me WHY they feel that it is necessary to have a gear indicator and perhaps why it would benefit them....as I do not ..and i am absolutely not trying to make a big deal out of nothing ...
again WHAT DOES A GEAR INDICATOR DO FOR THOSE THAT HAVE THEM  AND WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS  .....I personally do not require one or need one  but i am interested in the other side, perhaps i am missing something ...
 :142:

Actually, what  I think you want is for someone to explain why they feel its necessary so that you can disagree with them much like you did with my tach analogy...but I'll bite anyway.

I do not feel it's necessary, but I have one because I like it.many things on my bike are not necessary, but they do add some convenience or value for me....it is after all my bike... Ive owned many bikes over the years, and outside of my Sportster, the V is the only bike that came without one. Kawasaki have remedied that for 2017 as its now standard equipment. ..perhaps you should ask them why its necessary

« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 11:47:03 AM by Crosshairs »

Offline Keener

• Versys Pro
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2017, 03:40:11 PM »
Thank you Crosshairs/ Tyke for your ..opinions
Went for a ride on the Versys last night  . I thought to purposely be aware of what gear the bike was in .. I found that sixth gear was the only one that could fool me once, definitely wanted to shift up from sixth on occasion , the 1000 has such a broad torque curve in that sixth pulls so well that it feels like you should have a seventh ..a testament to the midrange power that our bikes have . perhaps a indicator for me would be good... a dash lite only just for sixth .
I will try to check rpm via the tachometer  at a given cruising speed instead for the time being for fifth and sixth and perhaps that will be enough to remedy unneeded upshifts from sixth gear.

on the discussion that came about as to my threads on why a indicator was needed , I was not trying to bait anyone as to a argument ..one of the best parts of belonging to a site like this is opinion , I think it is important to explore this and have some banter back and forth as to the topic at hand ..I have never had a gear indicator and probably do not need one , I use a tach to help as well as engine feel ...but that is me and I am entitled to do so ..yes
From the initial responses that I received there was no explanation as to why , just defensive  feed back for the most part that kinda made me believe that it was a farkle and no explanation was necessary.
anyway I am outa here , ride well
Cheers
Keener

Offline tall-mike

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: versys 1000
  • City / Town: san diego
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2017, 03:04:35 AM »
Change out the front sproket to 16 teeth, and your upshifting from 6th gear will disappear.

Recent Topics