Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Any way to calibrate speedometer?  (Read 3125 times)

Offline Old school

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000 2015
  • City / Town: Wisconsin, USA
Any way to calibrate speedometer?
« on: April 13, 2017, 02:46:43 AM »
Fellow riders,
I have now realized that my speedometer is fairly inaccurate.  When the speedometer reads 65 mph, two different GPS sources show the speed to be 61 mph.  The difference increases as speed increases (as one would expect).  Is there a way to correct this, other than putting larger tires on the bike?

Thanks for any suggestions...    :biker3:

Offline Bike_nerd

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2015 Versys 1000 LT
  • City / Town: Edmonton
Re: Any way to calibrate speedometer?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 04:29:49 AM »
I bought a Speedohealer from Healtech for my ZX-14 and it worked brilliantly.  Once you have quantified the error using a GPS or other accurate speed reference (mine was out 7%), you can dial it in exactly.  I believe they work on any bike that has an electronic speedo (not a cable-driven type).  Also corrects for sppedo error caused by non-stock gearing.

Offline wozzamatta

• Versys Master
  • Bike: Mk I Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Melbourne
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2017, 04:43:32 AM »
From what I understand no one has ever done it, common opinion on the site is that the Versys takes its speed information from the front or rear ABS rings - and that would make a lot of sense, it would also mean it can't be intercepted with a Speed Healer.

On other bikes the Speed Healer takes an output from the gearbox but I've searched everywhere and can't find anything that fits with that idea on the Versys.

With my speedo I just add 6km @ 100 kph, 4 kms @ 80 kph and 2 kms @ 60 kph, checks out with my GPS.

BTW the down side of adjusting your speed readout with a Speed Healer is the odometer becomes inaccurate, odometers on bikes are usually very accurate for obvious reasons.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 04:45:14 AM by wozzamatta »
2012 Kawasaki Versys 1000
2015 KTM 1050 Adventure

Offline Bike_nerd

• Versys Pro
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2017, 04:49:18 AM »
If the speedo is inaccurate, how can the odometer be accurate?  Would they not be driven by the same signal?

Offline Paul_Smith

• Ex Member
  • Versys God
  • Account Terminated
  • Bike: V1K 2016 Black
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2017, 10:00:27 AM »
*Originally Posted by Old school [+]
Fellow riders,
I have now realized that my speedometer is fairly inaccurate.  When the speedometer reads 65 mph, two different GPS sources show the speed to be 61 mph.  The difference increases as speed increases (as one would expect).  Is there a way to correct this, other than putting larger tires on the bike?

Why do you want to fix it? it is within 10% so it is accurate enough and it is on the safe side so it will save you tickets. And seriously? Do you really think that putting larger tyres on, something that will completely mess up the handling of a bike you already find a challenge, just so something as unimportant as a number on the dash will be closer to what you think it should be is good idea?

Also, why were you so suspicious of the speedo that you felt the need to compare to to not one, but two GPS sources? If you want something to freak you out, have you seen how unreliable the air temperature gauge can be?

Offline wozzamatta

• Versys Master
  • Bike: Mk I Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Melbourne
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2017, 11:16:17 AM »
*Originally Posted by Bike_nerd [+]
If the speedo is inaccurate, how can the odometer be accurate?  Would they not be driven by the same signal?

You have a basic signal that is accurate which is the odometer, the ECU then converts it to speed and adds an error which is approx 6%.

I have a device that plugs into my OBDII bus on my car and I can set it to read speed etc from the ECU, the speed readout is accurate, the dash speedo readout is +5% so it is just an error added by the manufacturer and common to all vehicles.
2012 Kawasaki Versys 1000
2015 KTM 1050 Adventure

Offline Pickaxe

• Versys Pro
  • City / Town: Droitwich
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2017, 12:40:16 PM »
*Originally Posted by Old school [+]
Fellow riders,

I've also noticed an inaccuracy which is about 2mph at 30mph and rises to about 4mph above 70mph. However, on my bike it remains at approximately 4mph up to very high speeds.
For me the accuracy is more than acceptable and allows a margin for error when travelling in built up areas and subject to a speed limit.
2017 BMW R1200RT LE
2015 Blue Triumph 1050 Sprint GT

Offline Grim

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2016 Versys 1K
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2017, 03:57:58 PM »
I have to side with Bike_Nerd on the Healtech SpeedoHealer Wozz.  It does allow for correction of the speedometer.

I noticed my speedo is off by about 2mph in the 20's and 30's, 3mph in the 40's and 50's, and 4 mph in the 60's and 70's (beyond that, I'm speeding anyway so who cares?).  I read up on this because it bothered me a bit at first, too.  From what I read, manufacturers are allowed for the speedo to read a certain percentage over actual, but if it reads under, they are severely penalized.  So, they have a tendency to err on the "high" side.

Personally, I've just learned to accept it and I make the mental calculations to estimate actual speed.  But, to be honest, most of the time (at least in my neck of the woods) as long as you're traveling at roughly the rate of the surrounding traffic, cops don't bother you.
Omnis moritur, sed non omnis vivit

Offline Old school

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000 2015
  • City / Town: Wisconsin, USA
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2017, 07:33:09 PM »
*Originally Posted by Paul_Smith [+]
And seriously? Do you really think that putting larger tyres on, something that will completely mess up the handling of a bike you already find a challenge, just so something as unimportant as a number on the dash will be closer to what you think it should be is good idea?

I was actually kidding about the larger tires... just hard to be sarcastic in text form.  I just finished a long ride and had both my GPS and cell phone mounted to the bike (hence 2 GPS sources).  I was hoping there was just some simple fix.  I can do the math, I would rather just not be bothered.  I'm guessing that my odometer has the same error, so my gas mileage is even worse than I thought.

Offline Bike_nerd

• Versys Pro
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2017, 07:51:44 PM »
I agree it's a small thing in the big picture but I do like to know how fast I'm going.  It's like if my watch was out by a few minutes.  It doesn't really matter and I can do the mental math every time I check the time, but I'd rather just make it accurate in the first place.  I realize I'm weird that way.  :124:

If anyone is interested, I checked with Healtech and their Speedohealer will work just fine with our bikes. Not sure if there are other solutions out there for this or not.

Recent Topics