Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Any way to calibrate speedometer?  (Read 3124 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Paul_Smith

  • Ex Member
  • Versys God
  • *
  • Posts: 1046
  • Account Terminated
  • Bike: V1K 2016 Black
  • Country: ie
Re: Any way to calibrate speedometer?
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2017, 04:32:43 PM »
*Originally Posted by Topbox [+]
Its funny this topic should be revived now as I was thinking about my speedo error.

The speedo error just annoys the hell out of me, I note Pauls and Tykes view on better safe than sorry. However, there are times when knowing your speedo is accurate would be helpful.

I refer to road works with 50mph limits policed by average speed cameras  :003: (lets not get into forward facing or not). The issue here is that HGV Tachos are calibrated accurate so when they come to road works they can and want to travel at exactly 50mph. So if I ride my Versys at an indicated 50mph when its really (say) 46.5mph then I could well have a 40 tonner right up my jacksie trying to bully me into going faster, not a nice feeling.

I aren't saying this is the reason I would like to make mine more accurate but it is a reason. I want to change it to cure my OCD on speedo reading. Paul, your point on tyre circumference is well made.

Special note:- when writing this opinion I accept the risk of Paul's and Tykes response  :016:

TB
 :2: :152:
For every risk there is a reward, though there is always the risk that the reward might not have been worth the risk. Here you get two rewards. One, the advice that if you have a 40 tonner up your jacksie pushing you to go faster, then who cares what your speedo says, go f*cking faster! And two, no cop is going to bust you unless you are doing over 10% plus 3 unless you have done something else to piss them off.   

Offline Paul_Smith

  • Ex Member
  • Versys God
  • *
  • Posts: 1046
  • Account Terminated
  • Bike: V1K 2016 Black
  • Country: ie
Re: Any way to calibrate speedometer?
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2017, 04:36:57 PM »
*Originally Posted by Justa_Poser [+]
Yes, well - you must first understand some rather technical measurement methods
.
http://list25.com/25-humorous-and-unconventional-units-of-measurement/
Some good ones there, but have you seen these? https://www.theregister.co.uk/Design/page/reg-standards-converter.html

Offline Keener

  • Versys Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 465
  • Bike: 2015 Versys 1000
  • Country: ca
Re: Any way to calibrate speedometer?
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2017, 04:44:05 PM »
 :notsure:  My speedo is pretty accurate at least according to my GPS ....
for example speedo shows 120kph ...GPS shows 122kph
again speedo shows 100kph ...GPS shows 101..
close enough for me , hopefully the GPS is accurate . :016:


Offline Topbox

  • Versys Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 303
  • Country: england
Re: Any way to calibrate speedometer?
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2017, 06:13:47 PM »
*Originally Posted by Paul_Smith [+]
For every risk there is a reward, though there is always the risk that the reward might not have been worth the risk. Here you get two rewards. One, the advice that if you have a 40 tonner up your jacksie pushing you to go faster, then who cares what your speedo says, go f*cking faster! And two, no cop is going to bust you unless you are doing over 10% plus 3 unless you have done something else to piss them off.

Paul,

Noted, and filed  :016:

What help can you offer me for my OCD   :187:

Ever yours

TB  :2:
Life, its not a rehersal.

Offline Keener

  • Versys Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 465
  • Bike: 2015 Versys 1000
  • Country: ca
Re: Any way to calibrate speedometer?
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2017, 07:31:59 PM »
*Originally Posted by Keener [+]
:notsure:  My speedo is pretty accurate at least according to my GPS ....
for example speedo shows 120kph ...GPS shows 122kph
again speedo shows 100kph ...GPS shows 101..
close enough for me , hopefully the GPS is accurate . :016:

oops never mind .....checked this again today  :157:
GPS shows  120 kph  speedo shows 124
GPS shows 100 kph  speedo shows 106


Offline Floydsz1

  • Versys Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 376
  • Bike: Versys 1000 2015
  • City / Town: Morecambe
  • Country: gb
Re: Any way to calibrate speedometer?
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2017, 10:28:26 PM »
*Originally Posted by Topbox [+]
Its funny this topic should be revived now as I was thinking about my speedo error.



I refer to road works with 50mph limits policed by average speed cameras  :003: (lets not get into forward facing or not). The issue here is that HGV Tachos are calibrated accurate so when they come to road works they can and want to travel at exactly 50mph. So if I ride my Versys at an indicated 50mph when its really (say) 46.5mph then I could well have a 40 tonner right up my jacksie trying to bully me into going faster, not a nice feeling.

I aren't saying this is the reason I would like to make mine more accurate but it is a reason. I want to change it to cure my OCD on speedo reading. Paul, your point on tyre circumference is well made.

Special note:- when writing this opinion I accept the risk of Paul's and Tykes response  :016:

TB
 :2: :152:

I've been a hgv driver for 30yrs. My speed limiter is set at 90kph but when fitted with new tyres (it still reads 90kph)  I can overtake other wagons with their Speedo reading 90kph. With new tyres a hgv will be about 2 mph quicker for the same registered speed than a hgv with worn tyres.

Offline Paul_Smith

  • Ex Member
  • Versys God
  • *
  • Posts: 1046
  • Account Terminated
  • Bike: V1K 2016 Black
  • Country: ie
Re: Any way to calibrate speedometer?
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2017, 03:34:00 PM »
*Originally Posted by Topbox [+]
...
What help can you offer me for my OCD   :187:
...
I was going to say don't worry about it, but that would be a bit pointless.

 



Recent Topics


waggish