Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: New Skene Controller  (Read 5685 times)

Offline Bike_nerd

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2015 Versys 1000 LT
  • City / Town: Edmonton
New Skene Controller
« on: April 21, 2017, 03:17:56 AM »
For anyone interested in having both headlights active for better visibility and appearance, Skene is coming out with a new controller built for this purpose.  I ordered one  to test, with the promise that I can return it for a full refund if I'm not satisfied with it.  Part number is IQ-270 (High Beam Controller).  It is designed to light the OEM 55 watt highbeam at a brightness that is programmable between 0 and 100% in 10% increments.  Seems to do the same thing as the Doubletronics product but at a lower cost (US$60). I plan to install it this weekend.

Offline tall-mike

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: versys 1000
  • City / Town: san diego
Re: New Skene Controller
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 04:14:09 AM »
I think a lot of folks would like to hear your review on this.

Offline Halesowen Kid

• Versys Member
  • City / Town: Halesowen
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 05:18:18 PM »
Please post updates....

Offline fasteddie

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2016 Grey
  • City / Town: suffolk cty, NY
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 05:30:30 PM »
Im a big fan of the regular skeene visibility lights.  I use front and rear "photon blasters."  It's well made stuff.
1974 suzuki ts185 enduro ('the grey one')
1981 kawasaki kz750, 1992 suzuki gsxr1100,
2006 Hayabusa, 2006 Multistrada 1000,
2012 Triumph Thunderbird Storm supercharged

Offline Bike_nerd

• Versys Pro
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2017, 06:57:58 AM »
Well this week, I upgraded the OEM headlights to PIAA Night Tech units and also completed the installation of the new Skene IQ-270 module.  It's quite tiny and I ended up installing it on the back side of the instrument cluster with the included 3M velcro-type stuff.

I already had the fairings stripped to wire up my power outlets and install the new headlight bulbs.  For the Skene module, I took a battery feed from my fuse block under the seat and routed it up to the front.  The module also requires a few milliamps from a switched ignition feed which I took from the accessory power outlet connection.  I took a ground from a bolt near the regulator module on the left side.  The only other connections are to the high beam lamp (one to the switched feed and the other one to the bulb itself).  All in all, a straight forward installation.  You can set the brightness between 0 and 100% to match the brightness of the low beam.  When you hit the high-beam switch, it goes to 100%.  Haven't test ridden the bike in the dark yet, but they look pretty good in the garage.  I hope to go for a ride this weekend as the weather is finally getting better.

Offline 190 Octane

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2015 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Houston
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2017, 01:03:13 AM »
I have a 275-A from an old LED driving light install on the self.  I've thought about wiring it up to do this.  It looks like the 275-A would work the same way in driving light mode.
2K15 V1K "Rooster"
02 Moto Guzzi Stone

Offline Bike_nerd

• Versys Pro
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2017, 04:07:11 AM »
*Originally Posted by 190 Octane [+]
I have a 275-A from an old LED driving light install on the self.  I've thought about wiring it up to do this.  It looks like the 275-A would work the same way in driving light mode.

Could work.  If in doubt, shoot Bill Skene an e-mail.  They are very good to deal with.

Offline davpag1

• Versys Pro
  • A Brit living abroad
  • Bike: 2016 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Cebu City
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2017, 02:28:37 AM »
*Originally Posted by Bike_nerd [+]
Could work.  If in doubt, shoot Bill Skene an e-mail.  They are very good to deal with.

Tried emailing these guys, never replied. Do you have a direct email address, as I used the one in their web page.
If you ever make a trip to the Philippines, get in touch. I may need a courier for some bike items...:)

Offline Bike_nerd

• Versys Pro
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2017, 03:54:39 AM »
Try this one:

bill@skenedesign.com

Offline davpag1

• Versys Pro
  • A Brit living abroad
  • Bike: 2016 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Cebu City
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2017, 02:28:30 AM »
Have now ordered my unit. Helpful company.
If you ever make a trip to the Philippines, get in touch. I may need a courier for some bike items...:)

Recent Topics