Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: OEM Heated Grips Controller Lights Flashing?  (Read 445 times)

Offline BikerMan

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2018 V1K GT SE
  • City / Town: SE London
OEM Heated Grips Controller Lights Flashing?
« on: March 17, 2018, 10:39:23 PM »
Can anyone assist me please?
I recently picked up my new V1K which has OEM Kawasaki heated grips fitted. I have absolutely no problem with the fit and the grips heat up really well. But, on a couple of occasions now whilst using the grips on a reasonably low setting I have looked down and seen all three red indicator lights flashing simultaneously together. Can anyone please tell me what that means.......... :187: :187:
Many thanks  :028:

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: GREEN, 2017 GT
  • City / Town: Ballymena, Antrim
Re: OEM Heated Grips Controller Lights Flashing?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 10:42:02 AM »
Can't help with the Kawasaki grips I'm afraid, I have Oxford Touring fitted 

Hopefully someone will be along soon to advise  :002:   
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

Roger (Rog)

Offline BikerMan

• Versys Pro
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 10:51:11 AM »
*Originally Posted by TYKE [+]
Can't help with the Kawasaki grips I'm afraid, I have Oxford Touring fitted 

Hopefully someone will be along soon to advise  :002:
Thanks Rog, I sincerely hope so.
I can't really believe that I am the first Kawasaki owner to experience this with their OEM heated grips................ :42:  but there again maybe I am.......... :157:

Online Deso_70

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2017 Versys 1000 GT
  • City / Town: Grimsby
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 03:37:41 PM »
You are the first person I know that has gone down the OEM heated grips on the VERSYS Bikerman.
I too have the Oxford Touring grips. In my opinion the Oxford control box looks neater and it has 8 (or there abouts) heat settings rather than the OEMís 3 IIRC.

I would suggest giving your dealer who fitted them a call in the morning. Iíve had a look online for info and have drawn a blank.
The only thing I can think that it might be, is that the control is telling you that itís on the lowest setting?

Let us know how you get on
What if the whole world farted at once?

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2018, 09:25:48 PM »
I also looked on line (youtube ) but couldn't find anything relevant  TBH from what you describe bikerman it doesnt sound as if that is correct

It could be that it is normal functionality,   your dealer should be able to clear things up for you

Good luck, and keep us posted.   :002:   
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

Roger (Rog)

Offline BikerMan

• Versys Pro
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2018, 11:43:29 PM »
*Originally Posted by Deso_70 [+]
You are the first person I know that has gone down the OEM heated grips on the VERSYS Bikerman.
I too have the Oxford Touring grips. In my opinion the Oxford control box looks neater and it has 8 (or there abouts) heat settings rather than the OEMís 3 IIRC.

I would suggest giving your dealer who fitted them a call in the morning. Iíve had a look online for info and have drawn a blank.
The only thing I can think that it might be, is that the control is telling you that itís on the lowest setting?

Let us know how you get on
*Originally Posted by TYKE [+]
I also looked on line (youtube ) but couldn't find anything relevant  TBH from what you describe bikerman it doesnt sound as if that is correct

It could be that it is normal functionality,   your dealer should be able to clear things up for you

Good luck, and keep us posted.   :002:
Hi Deso_70 & TYKE, many thanks to both of you for trying to find the cause of the flashing lights on my controller. It was very much appreciated  :028:.
However, having spoken to mother Kawasaki today the reason the three lights flash simultaneously is a safety feature built into the circuitry of the controller to say there is too much draw on the battery when, for expample, the grips are on full power drawing maximum current and you have the fog lights on etc., and the bike is slow moving or stationary in traffic on tick over. The three flashing lights signifies the controller is shutting down the heated grips but it automatically restarts them when the bike moves off and the alternator charges up the battery again to cope with the excess current draw on it. A safety feature none of the aftermarket heated grips have got.

Furthermore, Deso_70, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, in my opinion, I think the OE Kawasaki heated grips controller is a lot more subtle and aesthetically better looking and fits in with the styling of the bike rather than an in your face, non-Kawasaki, obvious aftermarket add-on. But there again that is just my opinion. Also, the grips heat up really quickly and produce more than enough heat on the full settling and, FYI, they have five heat settings and not three as you originally thought. I am more than happy with them  :152:

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2018, 08:03:52 AM »
Good to hear that you answered the question BM  :002:   

Roger (Rog)

Online Deso_70

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2017 Versys 1000 GT
  • City / Town: Grimsby
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2018, 08:05:02 AM »
Thatís definitely a good idea on Kawasakiís part

Glad you got to the bottom of it.
What if the whole world farted at once?

Offline BikerMan

• Versys Pro
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2018, 08:46:27 AM »

Thanks guys  :028: :028: :028:

Recent Topics

waggish