Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: New Skene Controller  (Read 6276 times)

Offline fasteddie

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2016 Grey
  • City / Town: suffolk cty, NY
Re: New Skene Controller
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2017, 04:13:01 PM »
The brightness of the highbeam can be adjusted in increments very easily upon startup.  So although it is aimed differently, you can adjust the intensity to avoid blinding anyone while it's active.  It's only about being conspicuous.  Someone on your left side will notice you easier with that left lens lit up, right?  Not a perfect solution, but better than having nothing on that left side.  I'm installing mine tonight.
1974 suzuki ts185 enduro ('the grey one')
1981 kawasaki kz750, 1992 suzuki gsxr1100,
2006 Hayabusa, 2006 Multistrada 1000,
2012 Triumph Thunderbird Storm supercharged

Offline BillfromSkene

• Versys Newbie
  • City / Town: Chicago
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2017, 10:31:20 PM »
Hello Folks,

The high beam lens is angled differently than the low beam lens. The IQ-270-A controller allows you to adjust the brightness level of the bulb in the high beam lens so that it is not blinding to oncoming traffic.  The default is 20% and that is adjustable through the programming mode so that you can determine which brightness level works best for your bike to:  provide a balanced look, make you more conspicuous, and put more light on the road.  The high beam still goes to its 100% brightness level when the high switch is turned on.

Installation details can be found here:  https://www.skenelights.com/installation-iq-270-a

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: GREEN, 2017 GT
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2017, 07:14:55 AM »
Brilliant  Bill (no pun intended ) thanks for the explanation, even I  can understand that   :028:   

I dont suppose you can arrange free U.K shipment can you ?   :008: ........I  am joking of course   :002:   8

Seriously,  is there a U.K distributor   :question:   
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Offline BillfromSkene

• Versys Newbie
  • City / Town: Chicago
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2017, 04:08:11 PM »
Hello TYKE,

We do have a UK distributor for our products, but I do not believe they have any of our new IQ-270-A in stock.  The reseller is Adventure Bike Shop so please ask if they will carry it.  The url is:  https://www.adventurebikeshop.co.uk/

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2017, 07:39:55 PM »
*Originally Posted by BillfromSkene [+]
Hello TYKE,

We do have a UK distributor for our products, but I do not believe they have any of our new IQ-270-A in stock.  The reseller is Adventure Bike Shop so please ask if they will carry it.  The url is:  https://www.adventurebikeshop.co.uk/

That's great, thanks Bill, I have dealt with adventurebike shop previously, and didn't think to check them out

I'll follow your advice and contact them, it could be that others on here will do the same

Thanks again.   :002:   

Roger (Rog)

Offline Motor_psycho

• Versys Member
  • Bike: V1000 2015
  • City / Town: Petoskey,MI
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2017, 06:04:47 PM »
Bill, Thanks for inventing this product. I've been reading about some "home-brewed" attempts on this cyclops problem. Plus from your site I find the solution to my too bright LED lights.

This bike needs a turn signal cancelling device like the Kisan.

Thanks for your hard work

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2017, 06:05:33 PM »
I have contacted Adventurebikeshop and received immediately the response below, I reckon that if there is enough demand than they will put some into stock.   :028: 

Hi Roger

Not seen these before myself and they did not mention them to me when I did my last order, I could add these to my next order but I have only just had a delivery from Skene so I don’t need any new stock at the moment, sales of everything are very  slow at the moment so I do not expect to order again from Skene for probably about another two months, unless that is I had several orders for these which would be enough to justify the cost of shipping, customs etc, price would probably be £75 by the time I have covered shipping, duty and VAT

If you can get a few others interested I would get some shipped over sooner

Cheers

Cliff

Roger (Rog)

Offline senpai71

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2015 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: San Francisco
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2017, 09:06:23 PM »
*Originally Posted by Peter629 [+]
I finished wiring the  skene controller on my 2015. It is a nice bit of kit. I did email the company a couple of times with questions, and they replied very quickly. Installation was not too difficult and I would recommend it. Do keep in mind that your high beam light will always be on, so if you find that annoying, then it may not be for you. Thank you for this post, I hated the one light headlight

@Peter629, when you say "Do keep in mind that your high beam light will always be on", you mean the bright blue hi-beam indicator on the dash, correct?

FWIW, I've hit a snag. Well, more a lack of understanding on my part...

I followed the instructions as follows (supplied with the module and also online at https://www.skenelights.com/installation-iq-270-a):

• Connect the controller's black wire on the controller to any bike ground connection
  • Disconnect or cut the wire to the high beam
  • Connect the high beam bulb end to the orange/white striped and violet/white striped wires
  • Connect the high beam bike end to the white and orange wires
  • Connect the violet wire through an appropriately sized fuse either to a switched 12 volt circuit or to the battery. The switched circuit must be able to supply the full current drawn by the high beam bulb which is typically ~5 amps. If a switched circuit is used, this same circuit may be used to power the control module
  • Connect the controller's red wire to switched power.  The current draw on the red wire is only a few milliamps so any switched source will work.  The red wire can share he same switched circuit as the violet wire.

Questions:

1. For #1 above, can the "any ground connector" include the ground wire to the hi-beam bulb itself?
2. For #4/#5 above, can anyone point me to a suitable fused and/or switched circuit?

In the attached picture, I've attached the black wire to the hi-beam ground wire, and done all the other connections, except for the violet wire and the red wire (#4 and #5).

This is probably an easy question/answer, and however it gets figured out (either by me or by someone else pointing me to the right answer, I'll let y'all know. I'm also going to email Bill Skene, but since this module is designed for numerous bikes,not just the Versys, I figured one of you would know the answer just as quickly.

Thanks in advance!

UPDATE

Bill Skene responded to me within about 15 minutes! Just...fantastic :) Bill, mate, you're setting a very high bar for any other product vendors, y'know!

Anyway, his answer to my first question is yes, you can simply tap the black module wire to the ground wire of the hi-beam itself. So that's good - my photo is fine as-is.

He's going to look into my second question, but he had this response:

"You might be able to tap the positive wire going to the low beam, I just don’t know off hand if that can support the draw from both bulbs."

Anyone here got any idea whether the low beam positive can take the draw from both bulbs?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 09:36:09 PM by senpai71 »

Offline senpai71

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2015 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: San Francisco
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2017, 07:19:33 PM »
OK, it's all complete, and working like a charm.

FWIW, I tapped the black module wire to the ground wire of the hi-beam itself, and I tapped the violet and red module wires to the hot wire for the low beam headlight. The only downside is it's not as 'neat' as I would have liked - those two last wires are draped across under the dash. Nothing a little bit of electrical tape can't fix. No problems (yet!) with having a too high of a draw on the low beam hot wire, but I assume that if the draw was too great, it would just blow a fuse...

As @Peter629 said "Do keep in mind that your high beam light (on the dash) will always be on". So it's not easy to tell whether you have your high beam actually on - you have to flash the passing switch to see if anything gets any brighter.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 07:24:52 PM by senpai71 »

Offline Ezy

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: 2017 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Gold Coast
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2017, 03:08:03 AM »
Well, I finally got around to fitting my Skene kit on Boxing day, along with the new driving lights. Very easy to fit I thought, even though it was 36 degrees (Celcius) 90% RH and I was sweating like a catholic priest at a choir boys recital. I didn't use the connectors supplied, I used my own. I did it all at the module/relay's on the left hand side of the bike, because I wasnt really interested in trying to get to the back of the headlights. It's great bit of kit I thought, but the only problem I seem to have is I can only set the high beam to about 40% before my driving lights also come on ( whilst still on low beam). I have taken the feed for the driving lights off the line (bike) side of the high beam wire with white/orange wires, which should be constant 12v. More investigation is required me thinks. Anyone had a similar problem. Good part about the whole thing is, Now I can melt the retina's out of a kangaroo at 300mtrs!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 03:11:13 AM by Ezy »
"True Wilderness". The space between a greenie's ears!

Listen, Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

Recent Topics