Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: New Skene Controller  (Read 6519 times)

Offline Bike_nerd

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2015 Versys 1000 LT
  • City / Town: Edmonton
Re: New Skene Controller
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2017, 02:50:00 AM »
*Originally Posted by davpag1 [+]
Have now ordered my unit. Helpful company.

I think you will be very happy with the product.  I have mine set so the high and low beams are both the same brightness.  Won't bother oncoming traffic, but makes you more visible and the bike looks so much better with both headlights lit.

Offline davpag1

• Versys Pro
  • A Brit living abroad
  • Bike: 2016 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Cebu City
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2017, 09:03:01 AM »
*Originally Posted by Bike_nerd [+]
I think you will be very happy with the product.  I have mine set so the high and low beams are both the same brightness.  Won't bother oncoming traffic, but makes you more visible and the bike looks so much better with both headlights lit.
So what was the settings you used to get the highlights equal brightness?
If you ever make a trip to the Philippines, get in touch. I may need a courier for some bike items...:)

Offline Bike_nerd

• Versys Pro
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2017, 01:53:06 AM »
*Originally Posted by davpag1 [+]
So what was the settings you used to get the highlights equal brightness?

I put it into programming mode by turning on the key, starting the engine and waiting for the confirmation flash.  Then I kept cycling the highbeam switch on-off until they looked about the same.  Each click changes the brightness by 10%. Once you get to max brightness, it goes back to minumum and starts over again.  I had to do it a couple of times to be sure but it seems good now.  :028:

Offline Peter629

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2015 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Elmira NY
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2017, 08:31:31 PM »
As both wires from the bulb are black, how do you know which one is the ground and which is the bikes high beam wire?
88 Ducati Paso, 1995 Ducati 900 SP, 99 Moto Guzzi V11, 15 Versys 1000

Offline Bike_nerd

• Versys Pro
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2017, 06:13:32 AM »
*Originally Posted by Peter629 [+]
As both wires from the bulb are black, how do you know which one is the ground and which is the bikes high beam wire?

There are a few ways to do this.

You can use either a test light (the type with a sharp probe) to poke into the connector or wire, or a volt meter to check which of the two wires is at 12 volts when the high beam switch is on.  The bike will have to be running for this to work.  Attach the ground lead from the test light or meter to battery negative or to a good frame ground. Unplug the connector that goes to the high beam.  Probe the two contacts in the connector to see which one lights up the test light or shows 12-14 volts on the volt meter when the high beam switch is turned on.

Another way to do it would be to use an ohmmeter to measure which of the two wires is connected to ground.  The wire that is connected to ground will show very low resistance (0-1 ohms) on the meter.  This is a passive measurement so the bike does not have to be running.

Offline Peter629

• Versys Member
  • City / Town: Elmira NY
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2017, 02:49:10 AM »
I finished wiring the  skene controller on my 2015. It is a nice bit of kit. I did email the company a couple of times with questions, and they replied very quickly. Installation was not too difficult and I would recommend it. Do keep in mind that your high beam light will always be on, so if you find that annoying, then it may not be for you. Thank you for this post, I hated the one light headlight
88 Ducati Paso, 1995 Ducati 900 SP, 99 Moto Guzzi V11, 15 Versys 1000

Offline senpai71

• Versys Member
  • City / Town: San Francisco
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2017, 11:53:57 PM »
Just ordered mine also. I see that @BillfromSkene is watching this thread, so I guess that's a good sign, right?

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: GREEN, 2017 GT
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2017, 08:10:56 AM »
Welcome along   senpai71, thanks for the information regarding the Skene adaption

I have looked into purchasing this modification but shipping costs to the U.K and potential customs + V.A.T charges are a little prohibitive  (obviously this is no fault of Skene).

However I may well bite the bullet as the 'cyclops ' appearance of my bike is not very attractive  !  Plus the Skene adaption will probably further improve my visibility to other road users   :028:   
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Offline Paul_Smith

• Ex Member
  • Versys God
  • Account Terminated
  • Bike: V1K 2016 Black
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2017, 02:42:13 PM »
*Originally Posted by Bike_nerd [+]
Well this week, I upgraded the OEM headlights to PIAA Night Tech units and also completed the installation of the new Skene IQ-270 module.  It's quite tiny and I ended up installing it on the back side of the instrument cluster with the included 3M velcro-type stuff.

I already had the fairings stripped to wire up my power outlets and install the new headlight bulbs.  For the Skene module, I took a battery feed from my fuse block under the seat and routed it up to the front.  The module also requires a few milliamps from a switched ignition feed which I took from the accessory power outlet connection.  I took a ground from a bolt near the regulator module on the left side.  The only other connections are to the high beam lamp (one to the switched feed and the other one to the bulb itself).  All in all, a straight forward installation.  You can set the brightness between 0 and 100% to match the brightness of the low beam.  When you hit the high-beam switch, it goes to 100%.  Haven't test ridden the bike in the dark yet, but they look pretty good in the garage.  I hope to go for a ride this weekend as the weather is finally getting better.
I don't get what you mean by "Same brightness". Both bulbs are the same, it is just that the reflectors that point the light in different directions.

Offline Sonny

• Versys God
  • Bike: '15 V1K LT, VN900C
  • City / Town: DFW, TX
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2017, 03:44:15 PM »
I assume that on a split system as provided on our bike, the high beam's reflector not only aims higher but also focuses the beam more narrowly, and the controller reduces wattage to the bulb so an oncoming driver can take it more easily "right in the eye." Skene users, is this the idea?
G2Ergo throttle tube, Givi Airflow screen, Dan Moto carbon fiber exhaust, Grip Puppies, Moto Werk bar risers, Kaw rad guard

Recent Topics

waggish