Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: New Skene Controller  (Read 3611 times)

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: GREEN, 2017 GT
  • City / Town: Ballymena, Antrim
Re: New Skene Controller
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2017, 08:17:08 AM »
I'm definitely not a wiring guru, nor can I offer advice, but it sounds to me that you have taken a feed from your driving lights and that is where there may be an issue...others will no doubt be along to help

You could always send a P.M to Billfromskene, who has posted in this thread, aI'm sure he will be able to help

Good luck  :028: 
You preach what you need to hear

Roger (Rog)

Offline Crosshairs

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2016 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: East Coast
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2017, 03:22:42 PM »
*Originally Posted by senpai71 [+]
"Do keep in mind that your high beam light (on the dash) will always be on". So it's not easy to tell whether you have your high beam actually on - you have to flash the passing switch to see if anything gets any brighter.

Well thats rather stupid.....if Im going to have the indicator on all the time, i certainly dont need this contraption

Offline Paul_Smith

• Versys Master
  • Bike: V1K 2016 Black
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2018, 03:09:49 PM »
OK, it's all complete, and working like a charm.

FWIW, I tapped the black module wire to the ground wire of the hi-beam itself, and I tapped the violet and red module wires to the hot wire for the low beam headlight. The only downside is it's not as 'neat' as I would have liked - those two last wires are draped across under the dash. Nothing a little bit of electrical tape can't fix. No problems (yet!) with having a too high of a draw on the low beam hot wire, but I assume that if the draw was too great, it would just blow a fuse...

As @Peter629 said "Do keep in mind that your high beam light (on the dash) will always be on". So it's not easy to tell whether you have your high beam actually on - you have to flash the passing switch to see if anything gets any brighter.
Sorry, but Crosshairs is right, there is something very wrong if the indicator is on when it shouldn't be. The only earth on the entire bike that you can not use is the high beam earth. Using it means you are leaking power through the high beam circuit when you shouldn't be and that is why your indicator is on. Take the black off the high beam earth wire and put it to ground as the instructions tell you and send a note to Bill telling him to make this much clearer! 

If you are using LED bulbs with a draw of 30watts or less, then the rest of your wiring should be borderline OK, but otherwise I would suggest you re-consider how you have it wired. The low beam is already pretty skinny and, unless you have upgraded to LEDS or are running via relays, it is already under its near max safe load. The fuse will only blow if the draw exceeds the limit of the fuse, but that is a lot higher then the safe load on the wire to allow for brief bursts of draw or temporary low voltage conditions. The risk of exceeding that safe load is that you are putting increased heat through every component and connection in the system which increases wear and the likelyhood of failure, and any failure with the way you currently have it wired will leave you with no lights at all.

It is alright to use instructions as mere suggestions when you know what you are doing, but if you are not completely certain, then it is always safer to assume the person who wrote the instructions was. If you follow their instructions and it still doesn't work, it is their fault. If you don't follow the instructions... you have only yourself to blame. 
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 03:11:26 PM by Paul_Smith »

Offline senpai71

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2015 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: San Francisco
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2018, 12:05:48 AM »
*Originally Posted by Paul_Smith [+]
[...]It is alright to use instructions as mere suggestions when you know what you are doing, but if you are not completely certain, then it is always safer to assume the person who wrote the instructions was. If you follow their instructions and it still doesn't work, it is their fault. If you don't follow the instructions... you have only yourself to blame.
@Paul_Smith,

Not sure if you're trying to be sarcastic, but...

Clearly I thought the instructions aren't entirely clear. That's why I a) posted questions on this forum, including fairly detailed pictures and b) contacted Bill from Skene directly. If you read my post, it was Bill who suggested using (or at least confirmed that it was OK to use) the high beam ground. So I followed the instructions, and when I wasn't certain what to do, I asked people who know better, including the guy who wrote the instructions! I'm honestly not sure what anyone else (you?) would have done differently.

As far as the high beam indicator light being on all the time, it was another poster who first saw that. Once I saw the same thing, I guessed it was a limitation of the product. If not, that's great - I'll try using a different ground and report back.

Offline Paul_Smith

• Versys Master
  • Bike: V1K 2016 Black
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2018, 04:54:03 PM »
@Paul_Smith,

Not sure if you're trying to be sarcastic, but...

Clearly I thought the instructions aren't entirely clear. That's why I a) posted questions on this forum, including fairly detailed pictures and b) contacted Bill from Skene directly. If you read my post, it was Bill who suggested using (or at least confirmed that it was OK to use) the high beam ground. So I followed the instructions, and when I wasn't certain what to do, I asked people who know better, including the guy who wrote the instructions! I'm honestly not sure what anyone else (you?) would have done differently.

As far as the high beam indicator light being on all the time, it was another poster who first saw that. Once I saw the same thing, I guessed it was a limitation of the product. If not, that's great - I'll try using a different ground and report back.
I haven't seen what Bill actually said, only what you said he said, and I would be disappointed if he did say you could tap into the high beam earth without adding some qualification for the reasons I have already given. I was trying to be tactful, not sarcastic, but I must admit that I am tempted now.

Offline senpai71

• Versys Member
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2018, 05:21:04 PM »
*Originally Posted by Paul_Smith [+]
I haven't seen what Bill actually said, only what you said he said, and I would be disappointed if he did say you could tap into the high beam earth without adding some qualification for the reasons I have already given. I was trying to be tactful, not sarcastic, but I must admit that I am tempted now.
Oh FFS!

Given the lengths I went to to ask questions, add updated information and provide photos, I would have thought that it's pretty clear that I was trying to get very explicit answers to my questions and I was trying to help anyone else who might have similar questions themselves... So don't you think that if Bill had said "NO, FOR GOD'S SAKE, DON'T TAP INTO THE HIGH BEAM GROUND WIRE" or even just "Yes, you can tap into that, but you might see issues with X, Y or Z" I would have said so?

Oh wait, I did say so - I explicitly pointed out the warning he provided about the current draw, and asked a question to the forum.

FWIW, I too am trying to be tactful. But at this point, I don't see any sense in continuing this conversation with you, except to say the following:

• Following Bill's "OK", I tapped into the high-beam ground wire, and so far (several thousand miles) it doesn't seem to have caused any issues with excessive current draw - wire damage, overheating etc. However, I take your point about the fact that I might not notice such problems anyway, and it may cause problems over the long-term including sudden light failure, so I will change it to use a different ground connection
  • If the issue with the dashboard indicator goes away when using a different ground, I will update my original post to note that. If not, I'll note that also

Finally, none of this is meant in any way to say anything other than that I think the Skene controller is fantastic, and I really appreciate the help from Bill in answering my questions. I even appreciate your initial comment - it was only the final paragraph that got my back up.

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: GREEN, 2017 GT
  • City / Town: Ballymena, Antrim
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2018, 08:54:11 PM »
Bike nerd was the O.P of this thread, which was  straight forward and uncomplicated.

I become increasingly frustrated at how a straight forward posting can become so agitated, personalised and unproductive.

I could say more........a lot more.......but have decided not to add any fuel to the fire.

FWIW...... I am still interested in the Skene conversion  :whistle:   

You preach what you need to hear

Roger (Rog)

Offline Crosshairs

• Versys Pro
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2018, 08:57:50 PM »
*Originally Posted by TYKE [+]
Bike nerd was the O.P of this thread, which was  straight forward and uncomplicated.

I become increasingly frustrated at how a straight forward posting can become so agitated, personalised and unproductive.

I could say more........a lot more.......but have decided not to add any fuel to the fire.

FWIW...... I am still interested in the Skene conversion  :whistle:   

I have one sitting here on my desk unopened and considering what Im reading I doubt very much I will be fitting it to my bike.

I dont know what it would cost to post it to England, but I could potentiality save you some money if you decide to buy one

Offline senpai71

• Versys Member
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2018, 09:11:49 PM »
*Originally Posted by Crosshairs [+]
I have one sitting here on my desk unopened and considering what Im reading I doubt very much I will be fitting it to my bike.

I dont know what it would cost to post it to England, but I could potentiality save you some money if you decide to buy one
Crosshairs (and TYKE),

All else being equal, I've actually found it to be great at "run-time" - it does exactly what it says it should do. If TYKE and Paul_Smith are correct and the high beam indicator light being on are indicative of poor installation by me, then I'd suggest you hold up, at least for a couple of days, until I've determined whether that problem is directly due to me tapping to the high beam ground. FWIW, I wasn't the only person who saw this problem (Peter_629 first saw it), but he may have made a similar mistake to me.

In any event, I'm going to take the fairings off tonight and put the ground wire onto a 'proper' ground and see if that resolves the problem. If it does, then it's clear that I'm at fault and in that case I would unreservedly recommend this.

Basically, don't decide not to install it simply on the basis of a forum disagreement between two people you've never met... :)

Offline Crosshairs

• Versys Pro
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2018, 09:17:50 PM »
 :152: :152:

Recent Topics

waggish