Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: New Skene Controller  (Read 5682 times)

Online TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: GREEN, 2017 GT
  • City / Town: Ballymena, Co Antrim
Re: New Skene Controller
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2018, 09:22:56 PM »
*Originally Posted by senpai71 [+]
Crosshairs (and TYKE),

All else being equal, I've actually found it to be great at "run-time" - it does exactly what it says it should do. If TYKE and Paul_Smith are correct and the high beam indicator light being on are indicative of poor installation by me, then I'd suggest you hold up, at least for a couple of days, until I've determined whether that problem is directly due to me tapping to the high beam ground. FWIW, I wasn't the only person who saw this problem (Peter_629 first saw it), but he may have made a similar mistake to me.

In any event, I'm going to take the fairings off tonight and put the ground wire onto a 'proper' ground and see if that resolves the problem. If it does, then it's clear that I'm at fault and in that case I would unreservedly recommend this.

Basically, don't decide not to install it simply on the basis of a forum disagreement between two people you've never met... :)

Well said sir,   :020:   

I didn't intend to give any impression that I was offering advice regarding your electrical installation,  anyone who knows me will confirm that I am only just able to wire up a household plug     :goggle:   

Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Offline solidback

• Versys Pro
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2018, 07:40:37 AM »
The high beam warning light is part of the high beam circuit, so why would it not light when power is passing through the circuit?
I am no expert, it just seems logical, and it's what others have experienced...

http://www.other.com/forums/170-technical-discussion-v-650/131026-skene-iq-270-alert-intelligent-high-beam-controller-install.html

Offline senpai71

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2015 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: San Francisco
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2018, 08:14:49 PM »
Well it appears that the issue with the high beam indicator staying on is a known limitation of the product (which, as @solidback says above, may not be surprising):

(from https://www.skenelights.com/installation-iq-270-a):

When the controller is installed, the high beam indicator light may be lit at reduced brightness when the high beam switch is off.

I think that page is an updated version of the installation instructions, since I don't remember seeing that note when I did the installation...

FWIW, I moved the ground wire so that it's using its own ground directly, rather than tapping into the high beam ground. I am also figuring out the running of a dedicated hot wire, rather than using the low beam hot wire.

Despite the issue of the permanent indicator, I still really like the IQ-270 - because I only use the high beam at 20%, the high beam indicator light is pretty dim unless the high beams are actually on. Not a deal-breaker for me, but YMMV.

However...

After all of this back and forth over the past few weeks, I am probably going to eventually replace the IQ-270 with a headlight modulator (probably a Signal Dynamics, since I had that on my old Triumph Sprint ST and liked it a lot)!

Basically, the benefit of having both lights on (looks more 'balanced', more overall light, maybe more visible) is outweighed for me by the goal of making the bike much more visible - I commute in the San Francisco Bay Area, and have to split lanes a lot, and surprisingly, the Versys actually seems less visible than the Triumph, even though it's higher (and orange!) - I suspect this is because the headlight on the Versys is higher, and it doesn't line up with car driver's mirrors in the way the Triumph did. Even without a modulator, splitting lanes onthe Triumph caused a "parting of the Red Sea" kind of thing, which I don't see with the Versys, even with the IQ-270. Perhaps adding a modulator will help... If I add one, I'll document the whole thing - I can already see where there might be issues with the rubber bulb covers...

Of course, if I do that, I'll have an IQ-270 going cheap!

Offline Paul_Smith

• Versys God
  • Bike: V1K 2016 Black
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2018, 11:43:30 PM »
*Originally Posted by senpai71 [+]
Well it appears that the issue with the high beam indicator staying on is a known limitation of the product (which, as @solidback says above, may not be surprising):

(from https://www.skenelights.com/installation-iq-270-a):

When the controller is installed, the high beam indicator light may be lit at reduced brightness when the high beam switch is off.

I think that page is an updated version of the installation instructions, since I don't remember seeing that note when I did the installation...

FWIW, I moved the ground wire so that it's using its own ground directly, rather than tapping into the high beam ground. I am also figuring out the running of a dedicated hot wire, rather than using the low beam hot wire.

Despite the issue of the permanent indicator, I still really like the IQ-270 - because I only use the high beam at 20%, the high beam indicator light is pretty dim unless the high beams are actually on. Not a deal-breaker for me, but YMMV.

However...

After all of this back and forth over the past few weeks, I am probably going to eventually replace the IQ-270 with a headlight modulator (probably a Signal Dynamics, since I had that on my old Triumph Sprint ST and liked it a lot)!

Basically, the benefit of having both lights on (looks more 'balanced', more overall light, maybe more visible) is outweighed for me by the goal of making the bike much more visible - I commute in the San Francisco Bay Area, and have to split lanes a lot, and surprisingly, the Versys actually seems less visible than the Triumph, even though it's higher (and orange!) - I suspect this is because the headlight on the Versys is higher, and it doesn't line up with car driver's mirrors in the way the Triumph did. Even without a modulator, splitting lanes onthe Triumph caused a "parting of the Red Sea" kind of thing, which I don't see with the Versys, even with the IQ-270. Perhaps adding a modulator will help... If I add one, I'll document the whole thing - I can already see where there might be issues with the rubber bulb covers...

Of course, if I do that, I'll have an IQ-270 going cheap!
I think I probably need to apologise to you; when I questioned your report of Bills reponse, I wasn't questioning you, I meant to say that I would be disappointed in Bill if that was all he said. Of course you 'can' use the high beam earth, you are already doing so and every thing (expect the indicator) is working. If the Bill didn't warn you that using that earth would cause that effect then either he should have, or the device he made has an internal fault that leaks power through that circuit which he should have known about. Either way, I would be disappointed in Bill. He is a very nice person and tries to be very helpful, but my experience of his kit has not been excellent. 

Like you, I would far prefer to have both lights on and bought an IQ-275 in an (unsuccessful) attempt to achieve that. Mine is stuck in fog light mode so putting full beam on turns  the accessory lights off which is the opposite of what I wanted it. It is going cheap if anybody wants it.

I still get most of the 'parting of the waters' effect I am looking for by having LED headlight bulbs and LED sidelights and a pair of LED accessory lights:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01C8DKKE2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B016N9NAOE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Retrofit-W2-1x9-5d-interior-2850CW-02B-passenger/dp/B00I798TKO/ref=pd_nav_hcs_bia_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=K6D26KQJP1RY52RH1HJH&th=1
but it is nothing near as effective as the twin HIDs I used to have on a Yamaha Fazer.

I do know a little bit about simple electrical circuits and for the the indicator light to come on requires current to flow through it. If it is getting current when the high beam switch is open, then it can only come from the controller, which it shouldn't. By using the high beam earth, the circuit is completed and the indicator glows. I would be very interested to know if the indicator still illuminates when not using the high beam earth, as that would suggest there might be more than one internal issue with the controller. Either way, sorry for causing you offense, that was not my intention.

Offline senpai71

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2015 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: San Francisco
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2018, 12:58:03 AM »
*Originally Posted by Paul_Smith [+]
I think I probably need to apologise to you; when I questioned your report of Bills reponse, I wasn't questioning you, I meant to say that I would be disappointed in Bill if that was all he said.[...] Either way, sorry for causing you offense, that was not my intention.
No worries - we're all good :) Forum disagreements are all part of life's rich pageant... :)

What you say about high beam current 'bypassing' the high beam switch (and that's why the indicator light is on permanently) makes some sense, but it continued to happen even when I used a separate earth (attaching to a bolt). So my brain is a bit fried...

Like I said, I like the product, but I'm going for a modulator. The option of adding additional lights is more than I want to go with right now. Maybe next year, when I win the lottery...

Offline Paul_Smith

• Versys God
  • Bike: V1K 2016 Black
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2018, 12:48:23 AM »
That is really disappointing. It is not as if it is even a difficult circuit to design. This took me about ten minutes: https://easyeda.com/normal/IQ_270-936a5759a0dc4828bc54e8608856b3ed No guarantees that it will show up correctly, as I haven't used this tool before, but (on my computer) it shows how the IQ-270 should work. Notice that there is absolutely no way that power can get to the indicator unless one of the high beam switches is closed. I would be inclined to ask for your money back. At least it would help towards your modulator.

Offline BillfromSkene

• Versys Newbie
  • City / Town: Chicago
« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2018, 09:17:58 PM »
In order to clear up any confusion that may have been caused by this thread, a description on the operation of the IQ-270-A is warranted.

The IQ-270-A operates as follows:

When the high beam is on the IQ-270-A conducts voltage from the high beam wire coming from the bike’s harness to the high beam bulb’s wire, just like on a stock bike without the IQ-270-A.

When the high beam is off the IQ-270-A conducts a lower, programmable amount of voltage to the high beam bulb’s wire.

An inherent and fundamental characteristic of the switching transistors used in the IQ-270-A is that they conduct the voltage on the high beam bulb’s connection back to the bike’s high beam wire. This is what turns on the bike’s high beam indicator light. Note that this light will come on only at the reduced brightness setting that is selected to match the brightness of the low beam, which is typically 40 - 70% of its maximum brightness..

It’s likely that if you replace the bike’s incandescent high beam indicator bulb with an LED indicator bulb that the difference in brightness between fully on in high beam mode and partially on in low beam mode will be much more noticeable.

Note that the high beam’s ground wire is not involved with the high beam indicator, as the indicator bulb has its own ground wire. Whether the high beam’s ground is used or not will have no impact on the behavior of the indicator. There is no “leakage” through this ground wire. It is simply another connection to the common ground circuit on the bike.

It is possible to have the high beam indicator stay off until the high beam switch is activated by inserting a diode in the orange/white wire. A suitable diode (cost $1) is:

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/diodes-incorporated/SBR12A45SD1-T/SBR12A45SD1-TDICT-ND/3451530

I have attached a drawing of this.

Online TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: GREEN, 2017 GT
  • City / Town: Ballymena, Co Antrim
« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2018, 09:30:24 PM »
Perfect Bill, I'm sure everyone will join me in thanking you for your explanation   
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Offline dketchum

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 16 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: San Antonio
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2018, 01:21:13 AM »
Thanks Bill.
Diode being ordered..😉

Offline dketchum

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 16 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: San Antonio
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2018, 11:43:18 PM »
*Originally Posted by dketchum [+]
Thanks Bill.
Diode being ordered..😉

Installed the Diode today...did exactly what bill said it would..no more high beam indicator light unless I turn them on. 😉

Recent Topics