Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: LED Ugrade  (Read 4826 times)

Offline zamfield

• Versys Pro
  • Originally from Doncaster in the U.K. 26 years ago
  • Bike: 2016 V1 Green
  • City / Town: WV - East Pan.
LED Ugrade
« on: April 22, 2017, 09:41:19 PM »
Upgraded the headlights to a set of Leds and changed the side lights out at the same time.
Thanks to the web site for instructions on removing the headlight... Easy than I expected!

Offline otrp

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2015 V1000 LT
  • City / Town: Pennsylvania
Re: LED Ugrade
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 09:51:21 PM »
Very nice. This is something I think I will be doing in the near future.  :002:

Offline Golfatha

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: versys 1000 GT
  • City / Town: Northumberland
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 10:08:48 PM »
Wow that looks really nice thinking of changing to this myself.can I ask what screen do you have on ur bike thanks
Golfatha

Offline zamfield

• Versys Pro
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 10:38:56 PM »
The first two pics there's no screen on... The last shows part of it... It's the Puig screen.

Offline Bike_nerd

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2015 Versys 1000 LT
  • City / Town: Edmonton
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2017, 12:06:25 AM »
*Originally Posted by zamfield [+]
Upgraded the headlights to a set of Leds and changed the side lights out at the same time.
Thanks to the web site for instructions on removing the headlight... Easy than I expected!

Which LED headlights and side lights did you end up going with?  Have you had a chance to give the new lighting a good test run on a dark stretch of highway?

Thanks.

Offline zamfield

• Versys Pro
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2017, 01:58:38 AM »
Got the V16 Leds... EBay I think or Amazon. They're $35 to $40, simple plug and play.
Went for a ride around the local area tonight and they're a massive improvement over stock.
Brighter obviously and light up a wet road very well.
The T10 side light bulbs were some I had left over from one of the cars I had.

Offline davpag1

• Versys Pro
  • A Brit living abroad
  • Bike: 2016 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Cebu City
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 01:08:03 PM »
Love the white light, far superior than yellow. Using the T10s were also a good mod, but I think they've now been superseded with the 5W T10 3030, unless your's are that model?

What about the dust cap. Did you have to cut it in anyway, or did you replace it with a different one, if so which type and do you have a link to purchase place.

Where did you place the driver chip box?
If you ever make a trip to the Philippines, get in touch. I may need a courier for some bike items...:)

Offline Le ptit Quebec

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Paris
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2017, 03:25:48 PM »
I installed similar H7 LEd bulbs. No mods to the support, clamps or dust caps. I even installed the bulbs without taking the fairing off.  :001:

Offline zamfield

• Versys Pro
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2017, 01:08:49 AM »
*Originally Posted by davpag1 [+]
Love the white light, far superior than yellow. Using the T10s were also a good mod, but I think they've now been superseded with the 5W T10 3030, unless your's are that model?

What about the dust cap. Did you have to cut it in anyway, or did you replace it with a different one, if so which type and do you have a link to purchase place.

Where did you place the driver chip box?

Not sure about the T10's... they work though! They were from EBay a couple of years ago!
I made the area where the wire comes through wider by cutting into it with a razor blade. I wanted the box that is on the cable inside the headlight unit and thus, under the dust cap.
Squeezed the spade connector through the gap and then fed the OEM cable under the area where the headlight screw is, just to take up some of the slack... I could have easily zip tied these somewhere around the headlight (Lots of room under there) but thought this was an easy fix.
Didn't have to modify the dustcap in any other way... there is plenty of room under it for these LED's.
I did zip tie the caps onto the headlight, just for my own peace of mind. I didn't want them flying off or letting water / dust in... even though these LED's are waterproof.
All in all, very happy with them!
The hardest part to all this was actually getting the wire holder to fit around the bulb and then fit into the hook of the headlight (You know, that thing that keeps the bulb inside the headlight.
It was a Beech! but, some patience, lots of cursing and long nose pliers had them hooked (I can't say no time, because it took F'ing ages!!).
 :008:

Offline Thomasec

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2016 V1K
  • City / Town: Portland, OR
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2017, 03:12:01 AM »
The LED headlights do need to be cooled. They either have little fans offering cool airflow or have some sort of passive heat sinking. In either case they require access to outside air. Stuffing an LED under the rubber boot will not allow them to cool properly and will shorten their life. But prices are coming down enough now that changing them out when they fail is not a huge issue. Unless you are far from home on a dark night and BOTH LED's fail.  :5:  I would advise cutting the back of the boot somehow to allow them to cool. I am working on a solution to that right now myself. Will share when I finish my own install.
Thomasec

Recent Topics