Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: LED Ugrade  (Read 4836 times)

Offline Crosshairs

• Versys Master
Re: LED Ugrade
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2017, 05:19:44 PM »
*Originally Posted by Huckleberry [+]
I've found these bulbs to be a very effective replacement for the O.E.M.'s.  And they are literally plug & play, no heat sinks to accommodate.

PIAA 70785 H7 Night-Tech 55W=100W Halogen Bulb

Side note:  Not sure how tight the manufacturer QC is on aiming headlights.  Spending a little time on adjustments makes a world of difference, no matter what system you prefer.

Those are great bulbs, Ive used them on other bikes..I went LED on the Verys not just for better light, but for lower power draw....I ride through the winter, and heated gear can really put a load  on a bikes electrical and charging system...replacing the headlights with LED lights, frees up a lot of wattage that can now be used to keep my toes warm..:)

Online Yox

• Versys God
  • Bike: V 1000
  • City / Town: Heathfield
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2017, 07:39:57 PM »
*Originally Posted by Huckleberry [+]

Side note:  Not sure how tight the manufacturer QC is on aiming headlights.  Spending a little time on adjustments makes a world of difference, no matter what system you prefer.

:89: even the stock light was improved with adjusting it properly.
Those that live by the sword get shot by those that don't.

Offline Capt Ron

• Versys Member
  • 500K mi on 2 wheels and counting!
  • Bike: 2015 Metallic Orange
  • City / Town: Sunnyvale, Ca
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2017, 06:09:35 AM »
Everyone talks about using the H7 LED bulb replacements. I have Euro H7 lamps in my bike and can't find any LED lamps to fit. Are some of the Versys 1000's fitted with regular H7 type lamps and Euro H7 type? Model year 2015 for me. Thanks!

Offline Huckleberry

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2016 V1
  • City / Town: Portland, OR
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2017, 07:11:38 AM »
Pretty sure H7 is H7 everywhere.  Take a look and see if there isn't some sort of adapter between the bulb and the wiring harness.

There's a pretty good explanation here:           

http://www.cbr1100xx.org/forums/index.php?/topic/25188-what-kind-of-h7-bulb-do-we-have/
I've rarely gotten in hot water over something I didn't say.

Dave

Offline Paul_Smith

• Ex Member
  • Versys God
  • Account Terminated
  • Bike: V1K 2016 Black
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2017, 10:56:00 AM »
*Originally Posted by Capt Ron [+]
Everyone talks about using the H7 LED bulb replacements. I have Euro H7 lamps in my bike and can't find any LED lamps to fit. Are some of the Versys 1000's fitted with regular H7 type lamps and Euro H7 type? Model year 2015 for me. Thanks!
H7's are H7's. There are no variations, so what is it you mean by 'fit'. 
You will have to change the wiring to use LED bulbs because they use ballasts, and you may have to alter or cut change the rubber dust boot depending on the heat sink the LED bulb uses.

Online Le ptit Quebec

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Paris
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2017, 07:04:17 PM »
Not with the model I installed. They took the place of the OEM wiith no mod to the harness or the dust cap...

Offline Capt Ron

• Versys Member
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2017, 11:55:09 PM »
Nope, there are two kinds of H7 lamps. Euro and regular. See attachment. Also, with previous LED installs I have done, I have used the LED's with the ribbon heat sinks to not have to do any mods to the dust caps  on previous bikes. My question, if I want LED's for my bike with Euro H7 lamps, then I have to get regular H7 lamps and modify the harness? If so, no big deal and thank you.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 11:57:09 PM by Capt Ron »

Offline Capt Ron

• Versys Member
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2017, 11:59:28 PM »
*Originally Posted by Paul_Smith [+]
H7's are H7's. There are no variations, so what is it you mean by 'fit'. 
You will have to change the wiring to use LED bulbs because they use ballasts, and you may have to alter or cut change the rubber dust boot depending on the heat sink the LED bulb uses.
Paul,
 See my above post. There are two types. Why? I can't figure it out, but my bike has the Euro type, as I already tried getting a headlight modulator kit and ordered the wrong one (H7) and had to reorder the correct one (Euro). I do know it doesn't work with LED's, also.

Offline Paul_Smith

• Ex Member
  • Versys God
  • Account Terminated
  • Bike: V1K 2016 Black
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2017, 11:50:29 AM »
I think someone has lead you down a rabbit hole. That website you posted the image from is the only one I have encountered that makes any distinction, but they are selling wiring harnesses not bulbs. 

Some manufacturers sometimes use spacers or adapters which can make the use of aftermarket kits more challenging. For example, our sister bike the Z1000SX also takes standard H7 bulbs, but is fitted with an adapter that makes mounting non-standard bulbs problematic. The adapter converts the bikes plug from what ever it currently is to the Px26D standard required to connect to a H7 bulb. The Versys doesn't have that problem.

Offline Capt Ron

• Versys Member
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2017, 12:09:32 AM »
*Originally Posted by Paul_Smith [+]
I think someone has lead you down a rabbit hole. That website you posted the image from is the only one I have encountered that makes any distinction, but they are selling wiring harnesses not bulbs. 

Some manufacturers sometimes use spacers or adapters which can make the use of aftermarket kits more challenging. For example, our sister bike the Z1000SX also takes standard H7 bulbs, but is fitted with an adapter that makes mounting non-standard bulbs problematic. The adapter converts the bikes plug from what ever it currently is to the Px26D standard required to connect to a H7 bulb. The Versys doesn't have that problem.

Paul,
 Thank you for the info. When I ordered the first modulator wiring harness, it was for a regular H7 bulb and wasn't close to fitting. Then, I ordered the harness for the Euro H7 and it fit. The first harness was one for Japanese bikes, so that's what I ordered thinking it was an H7 bulb in the Versys. Unfortunately, that was wrong. Then I did some research and realized my Versys is the Euro H7. The second harness fit fine. I just want to get rid of the modulator altogether and find some H7 LED replacement bulbs. As far as the picture I posted, I just copied that from Google images, as it showed the differences of the bulbs.

Recent Topics