Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: LED Ugrade  (Read 5168 times)

Offline senpai71

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2015 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: San Francisco
Re: LED Ugrade
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2017, 05:55:49 PM »
Hey Capt Ron,

I never knew there was such a thing as two different types of H7 bulb... :(

Is it possible to easily see which I have, without removing the fairings?

I was going to order a modulator for my US-spec 2015 V1K, and I was going to assume that I have non-Euro H7 bulbs, but now I feel like I should check - especially since you're just down the street from me in CA, and your bike has Euro-H7 bulbs...

Thanks!

Online DeuceBG

• Versys Pro
  • You don't need Eyes to see, you need Vision...
  • Bike: 2015 versys 1000 GT
  • City / Town: Grantham
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2017, 06:40:20 PM »
*Originally Posted by senpai71 [+]
Hey Capt Ron,

I was going to order a modulator for my US-spec 2015 V1K, and I was going to assume that I have non-Euro H7 bulbs, but now I feel like I should check - especially since you're just down the street from me in CA, and your bike has Euro-H7 bulbs...

Thanks!
How are they different, is it the Fitment or some other Aspect?

Offline senpai71

• Versys Member
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2017, 06:47:59 PM »
*Originally Posted by Capt Ron [+]
Nope, there are two kinds of H7 lamps. Euro and regular. See attachment. Also, with previous LED installs I have done, I have used the LED's with the ribbon heat sinks to not have to do any mods to the dust caps  on previous bikes. My question, if I want LED's for my bike with Euro H7 lamps, then I have to get regular H7 lamps and modify the harness? If so, no big deal and thank you.

Basically the same size bulb, but with different spacing on the two electrical contact pins. Obviously an issue when buying a product that needs to correctly fit those pins.

Offline peter73

• Ex Member
  • Versys Master
  • Account Terminated
  • Bike: Versys 1000 Mk2
  • City / Town: Sofia
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2017, 09:19:51 AM »
*Originally Posted by davpag1 [+]
Love the white light, far superior than yellow.

In what particular way is the "white" light superior to the "yellow" light?

The cooler light seems brighter at similar output but is in fact much harder on the eyes. Furthermore, the bright cool light bassically blinds you completely for anything outside of the beam.

Warmer light, on the other hand, is easier on the eyes, is less reflective and the eyes are more sensitive to details in the wavelenghts of the warmer light (remember those yellow/orange driving eyeglasses?). The transition from the beam to the area outside of it is also smoother and you still retain some visibility of the surroundings.

Offline Capt Ron

• Versys Member
  • 500K mi on 2 wheels and counting!
  • Bike: 2015 Metallic Orange
  • City / Town: Sunnyvale, Ca
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2017, 05:10:31 PM »
*Originally Posted by senpai71 [+]
Hey Capt Ron,

Thanks!
Senpai,
 I was in the process of installing other accessories, so I had the fairing apart. It was easy to work on the headlight at that point. I haven't tried to get to the headlight bulbs without having the fairing apart, so I can't attest to how easy or hard that would be pal. Good luck.

Offline Capt Ron

• Versys Member
  • 500K mi on 2 wheels and counting!
  • Bike: 2015 Metallic Orange
  • City / Town: Sunnyvale, Ca
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2017, 05:13:36 PM »
*Originally Posted by peter73 [+]
In what particular way is the "white" light superior to the "yellow" light?

The cooler light seems brighter at similar output but is in fact much harder on the eyes. Furthermore, the bright cool light bassically blinds you completely for anything outside of the beam.

Warmer light, on the other hand, is easier on the eyes, is less reflective and the eyes are more sensitive to details in the wavelenghts of the warmer light (remember those yellow/orange driving eyeglasses?). The transition from the beam to the area outside of it is also smoother and you still retain some visibility of the surroundings.
Everyone is different when it comes to light color, but the whiter light usually reflects further to the sides and down the road for better visibility. Also, it is a "crisper" light, making it easier to see objects or what is in front of you. It all depends on the Kelvin (K, or color) you get as to how the light will work for you. The recommended K is usually in the 5-8000 K range. I use 6-8000K on my bikes and it looks and works great.

Offline peter73

• Ex Member
  • Versys Master
  • Account Terminated
  • Bike: Versys 1000 Mk2
  • City / Town: Sofia
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2017, 07:03:12 PM »
Everyone is different when it comes to light color, but the whiter light usually reflects further to the sides and down the road for better visibility ... I use 6-8000K on my bikes and it looks and works great.

We are not all that different, actually. The humans, that is :-)))

Anything higher than 6000K is actually blue and its sole purpose is to look cool (to bystanders - anyone actually driving towards you is getting blind and hates you wholeheartedly :-))). If you have riden in fog or rain and had to stare at the reflections of your own headlights you sure have gotten the idea of how the oncoming drivers feel about them. Bluish lights are NOT recommended for road use due to intense glare and decreased visibility.

Offline Ezy

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: 2017 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Gold Coast
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2017, 01:33:17 AM »
*Originally Posted by zamfield [+]
Upgraded the headlights to a set of Leds and changed the side lights out at the same time.
Thanks to the web site for instructions on removing the headlight... Easy than I expected!

Looks very nice mate, can you put up the link to remove headlights please?. I need to get mine apart to fit a headlight controller. TIA
Ian
"True Wilderness". The space between a greenie's ears!

Listen, Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

Offline senpai71

• Versys Member
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2017, 04:12:17 AM »
Senpai,
 I was in the process of installing other accessories, so I had the fairing apart. It was easy to work on the headlight at that point. I haven't tried to get to the headlight bulbs without having the fairing apart, so I can't attest to how easy or hard that would be pal. Good luck.
Well I managed to unplug the connector without taking the fairing off, and I too have a "Euro" H7 (12.5mm pin spacing). I'll no doubt have to take the fairing off to actually install the modulator, but good to know the bulb type in advance.

For those that doubt there is a difference, see, for instance, http://www.signaldynamics.com/plug-play-dual-h7-harness-adapter-japanese/:

"There are 2 different types of H7 headlight bulbs, Japanese and European. These 2 H7 headlight plugs are very similar but not the same, it is easy to mistake one for the other when deciding on a harness. The best way to discover which type of bulb you have is by looking at your owners manual or contacting your local dealership. An alternitave method you can use to verify your bulb type is by measuing the pin spacing on your headlight plug."

FWIW, as far as I can tell, the V1K uses the Euro type, with pins about 12.5mm apart, rather than the Japanese type, with pins 15.8mm apart. Odd, being as how it's a Japanese bike.

All hail Capt Ron, without whom I would totally have ordered the Japanese type and gotten frustrated.

Recent Topics