Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: LED Upgrade on a V1 anybody?  (Read 3952 times)

Offline DeuceBG

• Versys Pro
  • Reality is a Matter of Perception...
  • Bike: 2015 versys 1000 GT
  • City / Town: Grantham
Re: LED Upgrade on a V1 anybody?
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2017, 04:09:14 PM »
I want to Upgrade to LED's when I have the Conversion done to get both Units on together.
Waiting for the Module to arrive from the States.

Offline Bart

• Versys Pro
  • City / Town: West Wales
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2017, 08:06:20 PM »
*Originally Posted by jeckgp [+]
Installed those ones on my V1K last week.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F172792521212

Took about 2 hours, I removed the headlight in order to get proper access to the bulbs following the instructions in the service manual.

It's all pretty straight forward, I only had to adapt a washer to the fork that clip the bulb in place to be sure the light won't shake once installed.

Results are great, the light is pure white and gives a fresher look to the bike.

On my recent Spanish trip I had a few drivers pull out on me, never normally get that over there so thought some brighter lights were needed.
I also fitted a set of these the other day, I had some H4's of the same type on another bike and they went straight in but with the H7's on the V I found the clip interfered with heat sink slightly so just cut a small piece off and bent the retaining clip. Also decided it would be better if the heat sink was exposed to moving air so cut a snug hole in the rubber so the heat sink is outside.
Haven't tried them yet but along with some LED side lights it looks a awful lot brighter.

Offline Dannyboy1949

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2017 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Medford, Oregon
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2017, 04:57:21 AM »
I've yet to read a full review of ANY LED bulbs swapped directly into reflectors designed for halogens that pass the real world test of night driving. Usually the light pattern and output prove to be unacceptable and uncontrollable...i.e. they blind other drivers.

Are your's different than that?
I used to do self deprecating humor, but I wasn't very good at it.

Offline wozzamatta

• Versys Master
  • Bike: Mk I Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Melbourne
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2017, 08:56:07 AM »
*Originally Posted by Dannyboy1949 [+]
I've yet to read a full review of ANY LED bulbs swapped directly into reflectors designed for halogens that pass the real world test of night driving. Usually the light pattern and output prove to be unacceptable and uncontrollable...i.e. they blind other drivers.

:028:

When you look at a pic of a LED replacement the position of the LED in the base pretty much makes it impossible to have the same beam pattern as a globe. Don't know about other countries but here in Oz they are illegal for obvious reasons.

Separate LED lights are a much better solution
2012 Kawasaki Versys 1000
2015 KTM 1050 Adventure

Offline TowerMan

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 650
  • City / Town: Biggar.
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2017, 12:53:12 PM »
What to look for when buying LED Headlight Bulbs

With regards to what to look for with regards to beam pattern see 18:45 onwards  :028: :028:

Richard  :001:
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 12:55:38 PM by TowerMan »
                  Details HERE  :123A:

Offline Richs V1K

• Versys Member
  • The orange dreamsicle
  • Bike: '15 Versys 1000 LT
  • City / Town: Waconia, MN
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2017, 12:24:34 AM »
TowerMan, thanks for that. Just watched the entire video, very informative!  :123A:
Wow, what a boring motorcycle.
-no one, ever.

Offline DeuceBG

• Versys Pro
  • Reality is a Matter of Perception...
  • Bike: 2015 versys 1000 GT
  • City / Town: Grantham
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2017, 08:52:44 AM »
*Originally Posted by TowerMan [+]
What to look for when buying LED Headlight Bulbs

With regards to what to look for with regards to beam pattern see 18:45 onwards  :028: :028:

Richard  :001:

Thanks for that, very Informative  :028:

Offline jfman

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Montreal
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2018, 04:29:04 AM »
Is there any wattage savings with this bulb? Would like to free up a little wattage on the bike.

Offline Paul_Smith

• Ex Member
  • Versys God
  • Account Terminated
  • Bike: V1K 2016 Black
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2018, 12:50:46 PM »
*Originally Posted by jfman [+]
Is there any wattage savings with this bulb? Would like to free up a little wattage on the bike.
That depends on the specific bulb you get, but a typical LED replacement for an H7 halogen bulb will put out three times more light and use one third less power (4500LM @35W for LED vs. 1550LM @ 55W for H7). It was one of the first upgrades I made to my 2016 Versys as the stock reflectors are not very good and a single H7 bulb in a second rate reflector could not put out enough light for me to feel safe. In addition to changing the bulb, I supplement the headlight with LED driving lights https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B075NZ68FS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s02?ie=UTF8&th=1 which use 40W so there is no net saving, though they are on different circuits. I have never had problems, other road users are clearly aware of me, I don't get flashed, I ride at night and in the rain, and I can see where I am going. 

Recent Topics

waggish