Vadim Vadim
1 Posts
Claude
1 Posts
weljo2001 weljo2001
1 Posts
Sonny Sonny
1 Posts

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmart III  (Read 3079 times)

Offline frenchminet

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys GT 2016
  • City / Town: ALES
Re: Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmart III
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2017, 07:22:20 AM »
After 3500kms on the Dunlop roadsmart 3, I must admit I don't feel confident with them :033:

They're too nervous for me when beginning to lean over and give me the creepy feeling I might be slipping on gravel or an oil patch. It's better when you reduce rear preload but all in all, I much prefer the "round" feeling of the Michelin PR4 or the Pirelli angel GT :1:

I won'the be fitting them again :sick:
There are many old bikers
There are many reckless bikers
There are few old and reckless bikers...

Offline Degraff

• Versys Member
  • Bike: V1000 2015
  • City / Town: Barcelona
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2017, 03:45:16 PM »

Now I ride an RS 3 and I'm not happy with them. I come from spending eight games of Road Smart 1 (on different bikes) I recognize that it will be weird but I prefer 1 to 3.
They do not give me the security and grip I expected. :003: :013:

Offline De Vaca

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2016 versys 1000
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2017, 06:59:40 PM »
I put front and rear RS3's on my 2016 before a 3,600 mile trip in May. The rear was near to the wear bars at 7,700 miles and I replaced it with a new RS3 yesterday. The front tire still has a lot of life left. I like the throttle, and never have surpassed 6,500 miles on a rear tire on a powerful bike before. The stock bridgestone was in need of replacement at 5,000 miles. Handling remained good throughout the life of the rear RS3. I rode in wet and dry, and in temps from 24 degrees F to 104 degrees. They are the best road tires I've found so far. I don't plan on riding on anything else for a street bike in the foreseeable future.

Offline saddlebag

• Versys Master
  • Bike: V1K
  • City / Town: Ohiya
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2017, 07:40:12 PM »
*Originally Posted by De Vaca [+]
I put front and rear RS3's on my 2016 before a 3,600 mile trip in May. The rear was near to the wear bars at 7,700 miles and I replaced it with a new RS3 yesterday. The front tire still has a lot of life left. I like the throttle, and never have surpassed 6,500 miles on a rear tire on a powerful bike before. The stock bridgestone was in need of replacement at 5,000 miles. Handling remained good throughout the life of the rear RS3. I rode in wet and dry, and in temps from 24 degrees F to 104 degrees. They are the best road tires I've found so far. I don't plan on riding on anything else for a street bike in the foreseeable future.

7700 sounds good to me. I just put a front RS3 on my Thruxton. Feels fine to me.
I've gotten around 8k out of a cruiser tire before, but ~6k is as good as I've ever done on a sport touring tire and I've tried about all of them over the years.

Offline mikep

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Satsuma 2015
  • City / Town: Lafayette, LA
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2017, 02:48:43 PM »
I'm at 5500 miles on my first set of RS3's, with about 2/32" left.  I may make it to 7500 miles.
I like 'em.  Just rode a few days in the rain up in the Ozarks. Felt good in the wet to me.   I passed slow pokes (legally) that must've thought I was crazy. No problem when your tires give you confidence in the pouring rain. 
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 02:53:18 PM by mikep »

Offline saddlebag

• Versys Master
  • Bike: V1K
  • City / Town: Ohiya
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2017, 03:32:28 PM »
*Originally Posted by mikep [+]
No problem when your tires give you confidence in the pouring rain.

From a vid I watched on them compared to the current Pilot Road, they were better in the rain which is saying a lot as that was the gold standard of the class.
Within 20 miles of putting the front one on, I was charging corners in the dry as hard as I ever do and it gives excellent feedback and sticks great.

Offline Degraff

• Versys Member
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2017, 07:10:16 PM »

I have been testing with the pressure of the front tire at 2.7 kg (39 Psi) and the driving has improved a lot.
I'll continue to test and report

Offline peter73

• Ex Member
  • Versys Master
  • Account Terminated
  • Bike: Versys 1000 Mk2
  • City / Town: Sofia
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2017, 08:04:08 AM »
*Originally Posted by Degraff [+]
I have been testing with the pressure of the front tire at 2.7 kg (39 Psi) and the driving has improved a lot.

You might want to keep tyre pressure at 2.5 and adjust damping instead.

Offline Degraff

• Versys Member
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2017, 06:37:12 PM »
*Originally Posted by peter73 [+]
You might want to keep tyre pressure at 2.5 and adjust damping instead.
In the front suspesion I carry a Matris cartridges and the rear a Wilbers shock absorber calibrated to my weight. I think with 2.7 kg, in my case, the tire works better. I'm starting to like  :152:

Offline peter73

• Ex Member
  • Versys Master
  • Account Terminated
  • Bike: Versys 1000 Mk2
  • City / Town: Sofia
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2017, 09:02:17 PM »
*Originally Posted by Degraff [+]
In the front suspesion I carry a Matris cartridges and the rear a Wilbers shock absorber calibrated to my weight. I think with 2.7 kg, in my case, the tire works better. I'm starting to like  :152:

I have absolutely no idea what's your point? Do you mean that your "upgraded" suspension doesn't"t have damping adjustments?

Addressing damping problems by increasing/decreasing tyre pressure is just ... not the smartest way to deal with it. Still, it's your bike and your bottom so carry on as you please :-)

Recent Topics