Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Brake light strobe  (Read 2007 times)

Offline TNGW1500SE

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2016 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Oliver Springs, TN
Brake light strobe
« on: May 24, 2017, 04:41:03 PM »
First make sure this is legal where you live and if so you should buy one of these things. I added this brake light strobe to the V1000. These things work great and they're on Ebay (search for GS-100A) for a couple of bucks. I paid $2.25 (U.S.) shipped! Be careful, I bought the two wire one. Some have a blue wire and I don't know what that wire is for. Mine just had a red and a black wire coming out each side. I just grounded one of the black wires and cut the brake light feed wire and installed this. This is not my video and I don't sell these things but they really do make you stand out when stopping.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 04:45:29 PM by TNGW1500SE »
"The feeling of the wind in your face will lift your heart." Phil Collins / On My Way

Offline Kryton

• Ex Member
  • Versys Master
Re: Brake light strobe
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 07:56:55 PM »
Fair play for showing how to do this but definitely illegal in the UK  :2:

Offline TNGW1500SE

• Versys Pro
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 02:56:30 PM »
*Originally Posted by Kryton [+]
Fair play for showing how to do this but definitely illegal in the UK  :2:

I'd asked the reasoning behind making it illegal but I'd assume that your side of the pond doesn't always use "reason" when making laws, same as our side does. I guess it's legal to flash them manually.
"The feeling of the wind in your face will lift your heart." Phil Collins / On My Way

Online Sonny

• Versys God
  • Bike: 2015 KLZ1000, VN900C
  • City / Town: DFW, TX
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 04:39:17 PM »
I'm of mixed mind about these devices. On one hand they surely help draw attention to a MC braking in front of other motorists. But OTOH, I can imagine that in a heavy stop 'n go traffic situation calling for continual application of brakes, the constant stuttering an flickering of the brake light might slowly drive the following driver nuts, maybe enrage him, make him hate motorcycle riders in general, adding one more element that fuels this hate to loud pipes, aggressive riding and passing and other startling biker behavior.

Every cager on the road who hates MC riders -- for whatever reason -- is an accident or road rage incident waiting to happen.

I tap the brake a few times when someone is coming up on me faster than I like, to get their attention. I think that might be enough... I'm dropping the clutch and getting out of the way if that doesn't do it.
G2Ergo throttle tube, Givi Airflow screen, Dan Moto carbon fiber exhaust, Grip Puppies, Moto Werk bar risers, Kaw rad guard

Offline Crosshairs

• Versys Master
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 05:20:56 PM »
I have one on my Versys and love it.......just take note that this particular controller is only for LED lights and will not work on incandescent bulbs.......so if you have another bike you want to install it on,  be sure that bike had LED rear lights

Offline davpag1

• Versys Pro
  • A Brit living abroad
  • City / Town: Cebu City
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 05:22:11 AM »
I've had a rear brake light strobe for the last 5 Years. Certainly needed here in the Philippines. I found this company after reading a review somewhere. The reason i went with this brand was it did not keep flashing when at standstill, different modes, and so forth. Also lifetime guarantee. Further to that Bernard great to deal with.

I had mine on my Suzuki Gladius for that 5 Year period. I contacted Bernard again asking if I can do a direct swap to my V1k, no was the answer. He didn't try to sell me another, he popped the connectors into the post for me to change them over. He even suggested I send the unit to him to do, but living in Philippines made it not an option.

Overall a great experience with Bernard, his company, and product.

http://www.vizi-tec.com/
If you ever make a trip to the Philippines, get in touch. I may need a courier for some bike items...:)

Offline Kryton

• Ex Member
  • Versys Master
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2017, 07:06:38 AM »
*Originally Posted by TNGW1500SE [+]
I'd asked the reasoning behind making it illegal but I'd assume that your side of the pond doesn't always use "reason" when making laws, same as our side does. I guess it's legal to flash them manually.

To be fair it's a grey area. European legislation does allow for it, it's how it's interpreted at our end

Offline Grim

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2016 Versys 1K
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2017, 11:44:49 PM »
I know I'm late to the party, but just thought I'd toss my two cents in.  I wired in the "Brake Light Pro" from HealTech.  Easy installation, three wires, one that taps ground and two that are used to bridge the circuit through the module.  It has something like a dozen different flashing modes and a "bypass" which allows the light to function normally (great for going through inspection).  Switching between modes is very easy (enter program mode and touch module to cycle through).

As to the arguments regarding legality, technically flashing lights are illegal on motor vehicles here in the States (with some exceptions) due to people attempting to imitate police officers.  That said, the law isn't specifically written with this sort of thing in mind and it could be challenged in court.  One of the things I like best about the HealTech unit is that it flashes for a short duration (2-5 seconds) then lights solid.  If you set the flashes slow enough, a cop can't really tell if it's you tapping your brake manually, or a controller.

In the pic, the module is the tiny square stuck to the side of the seat pan with the wire wrapping around the back to the other side where it taps into the wires headed for the tail light.
Omnis moritur, sed non omnis vivit

Offline Crosshairs

• Versys Master
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2017, 12:08:15 AM »
*Originally Posted by davpag1 [+]
I've had a rear brake light strobe for the last 5 Years. Certainly needed here in the Philippines. I found this company after reading a review somewhere. The reason i went with this brand was it did not keep flashing when at standstill, different modes, and so forth. Also lifetime guarantee. Further to that Bernard great to deal with.

I had mine on my Suzuki Gladius for that 5 Year period. I contacted Bernard again asking if I can do a direct swap to my V1k, no was the answer. He didn't try to sell me another, he popped the connectors into the post for me to change them over. He even suggested I send the unit to him to do, but living in Philippines made it not an option.

Overall a great experience with Bernard, his company, and product.

http://www.vizi-tec.com/

$85.00 is downright  crazy though,...they are literally $5.00 shipped on eBay ...they serve the same purpose ..lifetime warranty is nice and all, but you could go through 10 of these and still be way ahead of the game
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GS-100A-Car-Truck-LED-Brake-Stop-Light-Flash-Strobe-Controller-Flasher-Module-/132274805784?hash=item1ecc315c18:g:WlUAAOSwXetZP5Oj&vxp=mtr

Offline TNGW1500SE

• Versys Pro
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2017, 08:33:14 PM »
*Originally Posted by Crosshairs [+]
$85.00 is downright  crazy though,...they are literally $5.00 shipped on eBay ...they serve the same purpose ..lifetime warranty is nice and all, but you could go through 10 of these and still be way ahead of the game
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GS-100A-Car-Truck-LED-Brake-Stop-Light-Flash-Strobe-Controller-Flasher-Module-/132274805784?hash=item1ecc315c18:g:WlUAAOSwXetZP5Oj&vxp=mtr

Yep,, at 85 bucks you're getting hosed! I have 4 of the two dollar ones in my trunk in case someone asked about them when I'm out riding. I've sold a few for $10.00 each. Profit isn't a dirty word!

I really don't care that much about them being legal. Here in Tennessee they appear to be legal. I printed out the law and keep a copy in the trunk along with the "Run traffic signal" law. Even if they're not, I'd rather be safe and I'd hope a cop had other things to worry about. I might even offer to sell the cop one ;)

« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 08:35:10 PM by TNGW1500SE »

Recent Topics

waggish