Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Chronicles from 12 months on the road: jfman rides the Americas, top a  (Read 2827 times)

Tank and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: GREEN, 2017 GT
  • City / Town: Ballymena, Co Antrim
Take care jfman, I reckon an argument with a Moose would not be a good idea

Great write up and photos as usual,  thanks   :152:   
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Offline francis83

• Versys God
  • Bike: V1K MK1 2012
  • City / Town: Trans en provenc
 :152: :152: :152: :152: :152:
The main point is invisible for the eyes

Offline Oldplodder

• Versys Master
  • Knows bugger all
  • Bike: V1K Mk1-GL1800 '13
  • City / Town: Buckley
Brilliant write-up - keep it coming.

I envy you on this ride

Dave T
Lord, Please make me into the person my dog thinks I am.

Offline SID-500

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2016 Versys 1000 LT
  • City / Town: Boerne, TX
C'mon jfman... how about another update?  Any more close calls?  Enjoyed the pics so much I showed the wife to see if will inspire her to take a long trip with me.
2016 Versys 1000
2016 CSC TT250

Offline jfman

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Montreal
[SIZE="7"]DAY 19 TO 22(June 19-22, 2017) - Anchorage [/SIZE]

Waking up here a little bit East of Palmer.

I rode to Anchorage and set up camp at House of Harley in town. They are an amazing dealer and very friendly staff from my experiences. If you hang out there a bit, you are certain to meet other travelers on all kinds of motorcycles.

This is the view from the second floor of Gwennies, a restaurant across the street from House of Harley. Having lived in the South for a decade, I developped a penchant for country fried steak. So I had my fix there.

I then went and bugged the guys at Motoquest to check out the new crop of rental bikes. Gone are the KLRs, replaced by Wee Stroms and Africa Twins.

I did some shopping to fix a few quirks on the bike, did a little blogging and then somehow managed to catch a pretty bad illness. I slept for over 24 hours straight, had high fever and could not hold down any food. I was not a happy camper.

Not pretty, the way it looked I was really hoping it was going to be strep throat and not something else! A few days before, when getting close to the Yukon/Alaska border, I had noticed that my throat felt a little sore. Like always, did not worry about it too much, but this one really knocked me out.

After even more sleep in my tent, in a state of semi awakedness, I heard the noise of one of the many planes who land and take off at the nearby Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport.

I jumped up, looked at the time and then quickly got dressed to make a run to the airport.

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
I look forward to your posts jfman...........this time you have left me wondering what happened next  :question:     :002:   

Roger (Rog)

Offline jfman

• Versys Pro
Day 22-23 (June 22-23rd, 2017) Anna Arrives in Anchorage

Outside the airport, right around midnight, Anna was patiently waiting for me. She had spent a full 24 hours in transit to fly from Montreal to Alaska. This picture of her below was taken on the day I left Montreal with my bike to ride to Alaska. I had met her for lunch break then I hit the road.

We met in December of 2016. We dated for a bit but not too seriously since I was leaving for this long trip in June. Somewhere in April, I offered her to come along with me on this trip and she quit her job an decided to join me on this year-long ride (she obviously have not read my previous ride reports) I told her we would do a lot of camping (at this time she thought that meant setting up in nice camgrounds).

A few months before leaving for this trip, I took her along on a small trip to NYC where we visited and partied with antirich. At that time this was her longest haul ever on a motorcycle but I figured she could get a feel for what it's like back there on the bike.

So while I rode to Alaska quickly to eat those long miles, she worked a little bit longer then she flew to Anchorage so we could tour the area together. If she (we) survived that then the plan was to do South America together.

This is her in her motorcycle attire which consist of a hand-me-down Bilt jacket, Firstgear riding pants, a Shoei helmet and some old riding boots.

She had to adjust to life on a motorcycle and the learning curve was pretty steep considering we had not really traveled together, she had not done any wild camping before and her motorcycle experience was very limited. Somewhere along this trip she made the comment that I should name the ride: "A full year of bad hair"  This year-long ride was no picnic and had no place for a gentlewoman.  Granted, I was not looking for one, because I knew the ride I had planned, the gnarly stuff I refused pass over, the remote riding I wanted to do was going to be quite a test for her, for me and for us.  That ride with a lady would not work out in the long run.

So this photo above is her in her "adv" attire. She claims and I quote: "this is not a good look" but I beg to differ.

I was still sick, really sick. The next day I was not feeling any better so we went to the medical clinic where, 210$ later, they quickly diagnosed a bad case of strep throat. They precribed me some antibiotics and off we went.

The next day, we shopped for rolltop bags. The extra passenger on the bike meant I had to use 3 drybags on top of the 3 cases on the bike.  I attached two bags containing the tent, the mats and the sleeping bags to the front crash bars and a third bag, containing all of our clothes, was resting on the top case. The left pannier contained the tools and spares, the stove and the cookwear. The right pannier was mostly food (we ate a lot) and finallly the top case what all of the electronics, our walkaround shoes, jacket liners, sandals and the fragile food (bread and fruits) And oh yeah! we carried a spare tire on top of the whole thing because we love to carry spare tires around.

After a long day in Anchorage, we went see if Hatcher Pass was open from the Wasilla side but no luck. Crews were working on the road and did not want to let us roll thru.

Our beast at the turnaround point, or the location where the road crew started to yell at us.

The cloud cover was thick but Anna was still pleased with her first little side trip in Alaska.

Then we rode to Palmer where we had some Mexican food and we met Alaskajeff. We had a nice chat with him then we rode back towards Hatcher pass to camp off Archangel road.

Offline stlee29

• Versys Master
  • Good rides.....
  • Bike: V1K 2013
  • City / Town: Penang
 :028: Cheers for the pics and continue good happy safe rides, Jfman.  :031:
This is a bloody great Bike....!

My V1K Blog: https://www.versys1000.com/index.php/topic,12733.0.html

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
Amazing.... enjoy your trip together, a journey like that would be a 'baptism of fire' for most relationships  :008:   

I can't help wondering .... how does your bike handle with two people and all that luggage on board  :question: 

Roger (Rog)

Offline jfman

• Versys Pro
*Originally Posted by TYKE [+]
Amazing.... enjoy your trip together, a journey like that would be a 'baptism of fire' for most relationships  :008:   

I can't help wondering .... how does your bike handle with two people and all that luggage on board  :question:

Handles just fin with the stiffer rear spring I put on it. its a 700lbs/in  :001:

Day 22-23 (June 22-23rd, 2017)

Outside the airport, right around midnight, Anna was patiently waiting for me. She had spent a full 24 hours in transit to fly from Montreal to Alaska. This picture of her below was taken on the day I left Montreal with my bike to ride to Alaska. I had met her for lunch break then I hit the road.

We met in December of 2016. We dated for a bit but not too seriously since I was leaving for this long trip in June. Somewhere in April, I offered her to come along with me on this trip and she quit her job an decided to join me on this year-long ride (she obviously have not read my previous ride reports) I told her we would do a lot of camping (at this time she thought that meant setting up in nice camgrounds).

A few months before leaving for this trip, I took her along on a small trip to NYC where we visited and partied with antirich. At that time this was her longest haul ever on a motorcycle but I figured she could get a feel for what it's like back there on the bike.

So while I rode to Alaska quickly to eat those long miles, she worked a little bit longer then she flew to Anchorage so we could tour the area together. If she (we) survived that then the plan was to do South America together.

This is her in her motorcycle attire which consist of a hand-me-down Bilt jacket, Firstgear riding pants, a Shoei helmet and some old riding boots.

She had to adjust to life on a motorcycle and the learning curve was pretty steep considering we had not really traveled together, she had not done any wild camping before and her motorcycle experience was very limited. Somewhere along this trip she made the comment that I should name the ride: "A full year of bad hair"  This year-long ride was no picnic and had no place for a gentlewoman.  Granted, I was not looking for one, because I knew the ride I had planned, the gnarly stuff I refused pass over, the remote riding I wanted to do was going to be quite a test for her, for me and for us.  That ride with a lady would not work out in the long run.

So this photo above is her in her "adv" attire. She claims and I quote: "this is not a good look" but I beg to differ.

I was still sick, really sick. The next day I was not feeling any better so we went to the medical clinic where, 210$ later, they quickly diagnosed a bad case of strep throat. They precribed me some antibiotics and off we went.

The next day, we shopped for rolltop bags. The extra passenger on the bike meant I had to use 3 drybags on top of the 3 cases on the bike.  I attached two bags containing the tent, the mats and the sleeping bags to the front crash bars and a third bag, containing all of our clothes, was resting on the top case. The left pannier contained the tools and spares, the stove and the cookwear. The right pannier was mostly food (we ate a lot) and finallly the top case what all of the electronics, our walkaround shoes, jacket liners, sandals and the fragile food (bread and fruits) And oh yeah! we carried a spare tire on top of the whole thing because we love to carry spare tires around.

After a long day in Anchorage, we went see if Hatcher Pass was open from the Wasilla side but no luck. Crews were working on the road and did not want to let us roll thru.

Our beast at the turnaround point, or the location where the road crew started to yell at us.

The cloud cover was thick but Anna was still pleased with her first little side trip in Alaska.

Then we rode to Palmer where we had some Mexican food and we met Alaskajeff. We had a nice chat with him then we rode back towards Hatcher pass to camp off Archangel road.

Recent Topics

waggish