Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: service intervals  (Read 10753 times)

Offline peter73

• Ex Member
  • Versys Master
  • Account Terminated
  • Bike: Versys 1000 Mk2
  • City / Town: Sofia
Re: service intervals
« Reply #80 on: January 04, 2018, 10:42:34 PM »
My service intervals (except for oil, brake pads and tyres, obviously) are mostly winter to winter, which for me is 25k to 30k kms.

Below is a picture of how my spark plugs look after nearly 30k kms. The gaps are still precisely 0.9 on all four of them and they look pretty good. Replacing them at the prescribed service interval of 12k kms is a total waste IMO.

Last winter I also adjusted the valves within 0.02 of the wide end of the range leaving one at the limit so that I can hear it ticking slightly and have an idea of what's going on without having to open the engine. I stopped hearing it just recently, meaning that the gap closed by 0.02 max for almost 30k and the rest should be at about the middle of the specified range. Therefore I've decided not to bother with them until next winter - that will be way more than the recommended service nterval.

There is 0 (zero) lateral play in the swingarm (there was some last winter)

The oil in my forks (motorex 2 5) was also fine after 30k as opposed to the factory oil that I drained last winter at about 26k, which was mostly foam.

The stearing stem felt slightly loose and I disassembled it - no rust whatsoever and the bearing were perfectly smooth.

At 50+k I'm still on the original chain and real sprocket (changed the front sprocket last winter).

I would say the bike seems to pretty much settle by 20k and from there on wear and tear is minimal.

Online Keener

• Versys Master
  • Bike: 2015 Versys 1000
« Reply #81 on: January 05, 2018, 12:31:24 AM »
Good to hear :152:

Offline peter73

• Ex Member
  • Versys Master
  • Account Terminated
« Reply #82 on: January 05, 2018, 05:41:10 AM »
Sorry, forgot the picture.

Offline doboy

• Versys Pro
« Reply #83 on: January 08, 2018, 09:54:12 AM »
just to confuse matters even more about service intervals .. i called in at a kawasaki dealer on passing and i heard the sales man talking to a customer interested in a new red 1,000 versys & the customer asked about the service intervals on it , when he told the customer  3,800mls he said that seems low ..the salesman then said what we do is ... we work on a yearly system, if you do say 7,600mls in a year then you only need one service, if you only do 3,000mls  you still have to have a yearly service done when its a year old....i think its a case of if your prepaired to pay for a service every 3,800mls thats fine ..but..if you only want it serviced at 7,600mls some dealers are happy to go with that and others are not ..
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 09:59:37 AM by doboy »

Offline peter73

• Ex Member
  • Versys Master
  • Account Terminated
« Reply #84 on: January 08, 2018, 10:04:25 AM »
*Originally Posted by doboy [+]
... i heard the sales man talking to a customer interested ...

I'm afraid that hardly ever means anything. Whenever I talk to a sales people with the intention of actually buying from them. I ask them to put all their sales pitch claims on a piece of paper and sign them just so I can remember them for further consideration. It, then, becomes very funny to watch.

Offline doboy

• Versys Pro
« Reply #85 on: January 08, 2018, 11:25:26 AM »
a dishonest salesman ..never.. :008: :008: :008:

Online Sonny

• Versys God
  • Bike: '15 V1K LT, VN900C
  • City / Town: DFW, TX
« Reply #86 on: January 08, 2018, 01:02:25 PM »
That salesman was merely explaining (not very clearly) how the periodic maintenance chart in the owner's manual works. For each maintenance item there is an interval in years and also in miles, and whichever comes first, that is when that item is to be checked or serviced. But the mileage increment isn't 3K miles, it is 3,800.

Still, if an owner took the bike in for service for both every time period and mileage interval, well, that would be a heck of a lot of service visits. I'd be surprised if the owner or shop could even keep track of it for each item.  :027:
G2Ergo throttle tube, Givi Airflow screen, Dan Moto carbon fiber exhaust, Grip Puppies, Moto Werk bar risers, Kaw rad guard

Offline Joe

• Versys Newbie
  • Carpe diem
  • Bike: Versys1000
  • City / Town: Amsterdam
« Reply #87 on: March 06, 2018, 07:48:50 PM »
Here every 6000 km

Recent Topics