oldtimer oldtimer
1 Posts
sporthog93
1 Posts
Sonny Sonny
1 Posts
weljo2001 weljo2001
1 Posts

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Rear Wheel removal for new tyre help  (Read 766 times)

Offline skyliner

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versys 1000 - 2013
Rear Wheel removal for new tyre help
« on: July 19, 2017, 08:51:40 PM »
Hi Guys

I got a rear puncture last weekend and have got a new tyre but the local bike shop can only fit me in this week for the new tyre replacement if I take a loose wheel. I have never taken the wheel off a bike before so after watching some videos and reading up I had a go tonight. Well the wheel is off ok after a bit of jiggling about but I cannot seem to get the sprocket off like I have seen in some videos and I don't want to force anything. My question is will the bike shop be expecting the sprocket off or on? Also I assume the disc is usually left alone?

Cheers in advance

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: GREEN, 2017 GT
  • City / Town: Ballymena, Antrim
Re: Rear Wheel removal for new tyre help
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 08:59:23 PM »
No need to remove either sprocket or disc
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Offline Floydsz1

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000 2015
  • City / Town: Morecambe
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 09:18:00 PM »
If they're going to balance the wheel, which I presume they are, the disc and sprocket should be fitted. Some tyre machines won't fit with the cushdrive fitted but it should just pull off the wheel, but definitely leave the disc on.

Offline skyliner

• Versys Member
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 09:22:37 PM »
Thanks for the replies, I will leave them all on then and carefully transport it to the bike shop. If they want them off then they can remove them as they do the puncture!

Online Crosshairs

• Versys Master
  • Bike: 2016 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: East Coast
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 11:01:45 PM »
The sprocket just pulls right out...lay the wheel down with the sprocket facing up, and pull on it...it will come right out..if not, just wiggle it side to side a bit as you are pulling. ...the disc stays on.

Offline Paul_Smith

• Versys Master
  • Bike: V1K 2016 Black
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2017, 09:56:09 AM »
*Originally Posted by Crosshairs [+]
The sprocket just pulls right out...lay the wheel down with the sprocket facing up, and pull on it...it will come right out..if not, just wiggle it side to side a bit as you are pulling. ...the disc stays on.
Those are the words of somebody who knows how to do it already and he is absolutely correct but what he forgot to mention (because it was obvious to him) is that to lay the wheel disc side down you must put it on supports so the rim takes all the weight and the disc is not touching anything. The cush drive is a set of hard rubber blocks that take the shock of power being applied to the chain so they are designed to be a very tight fit. A Very tight fit! You will usually need to apply leverage to remove the drive socket, just pulling on it will usually just lift the wheel up. You must apply it evenly and carefully so as to not damage the sprocket or send it flying. When it comes loose, it has a tendency to pop, sending the rubber blocks that make up the cush drive flying. You will need to be careful because it is important to understand exactly how they fit or putting it back together will be an even tougher job then necessary.

Once you have it off, you will need to apply force to put it back on, as I said, it is a very tight fit. The blocks have to be correctly positioned or it wont go in. If you don't have a press (and who does) then you will need to use impact and that risks damage, so make sure you have a rubber mallet before you start. Did you remember to make sure your disc is not touching anything? Part of the challenge is the fact that you are using a rubber mallet to hit a piece of metal to make it sit in a rubber bed. It bounces. I have heard some people recommend lubricating the rubber blocks. I am not a fan of it but if you do, make sure it is not something that is going to damage them (so no WD40 etc). You would probably be OK with some soapy water but I am not sure how much it would help you. 

Offline skyliner

• Versys Member
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2017, 08:22:37 PM »
Cheers guys, tyre was changed last weekend and I managed to get the wheel back on with a bit of jiggery pokery!

Recent Topics

waggish