Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Warning about a running/city light potential fire risk.  (Read 908 times)

Offline Throttled

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versys 1000 GT MkI
Warning about a running/city light potential fire risk.
« on: July 24, 2017, 08:35:42 PM »
This is a warning about running light, or city light as it is in the manual, the small upper most light in the front light cluster. I had noticed mine was not working and today I decided to do the laborious task of removing the fairing to change the bulb.

What I found was that the bulb was not blown. Instead the holder had come away and the bulb had come to rest on the plastic that makes up the headlight casing. It had then BURNT A HOLE through the casing and I found the bulb was covered in melted plastic.

So, keep an eye out and if that light goes out, investigate to see if it has just blown a bulb, or the holder has slipped. If it has slipped the bulb is now potentially burning its way through something it has come to rest against. I am thankful it did not burn through a wire or it set the bike on fire. 
KLE500 - Versys 650 Touring MkII - Versys 1000 GT MkI

Offline Throttled

• Versys Member
Re: Warning about a running/city light potential fire risk.
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 08:57:33 PM »
The good news is that to refit the holder, you do not need to removal all the of the fairing etc. Remove the screen and then there are two screws holding a section just above the headlight cluster. Mine was also stuck on with double sided tape, I presume to stop buzzing. You should be able to reach in through that gap. 

Online Sonny

• Versys God
  • Bike: KLZ1000, VN900C
  • City / Town: DFW, TX
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 10:28:32 PM »
I didn't know it was fitted on the Mk.I, but on the Mk.2 you need that light for safety, too. Viewed at an acute angle from the left, it's the only (and inadequate!) light visible on the front of the bike, unless the high beam is lit. I know there are workarounds, but this one-eyed business truly might be the most needless and misguided design detail on our otherwise fine motorcycles.  :187:
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 10:31:53 PM by Sonny »

Offline Huckleberry

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Vs 2009, Vs 2016
  • City / Town: Portland, OR
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 04:20:14 AM »
The logic for only the one light on mode baffles me.  Electrical load ?  Cosmetics ? Don't really care, it's just silly.
I've rarely gotten in hot water over something I didn't say.

Dave

Online Sonny

• Versys God
  • Bike: KLZ1000, VN900C
  • City / Town: DFW, TX
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 05:13:44 AM »
This might be a dumb question, but: aren't the bulbs an H4 socket? Why couldn't you just install common double-filament bulbs and wire the low beam and high beam filaments each pair in series and have the usual both sides on arrangement in every other car and bike in the world?

Maybe the R & L headlight reflectors are different shapes and it wouldn't work...

Offline Huckleberry

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Vs 2009, Vs 2016
  • City / Town: Portland, OR
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2017, 05:25:08 AM »
Throttled is referring to the running light, not the H4 headlight.  They're significantly different.
I've rarely gotten in hot water over something I didn't say.

Dave

Online Bob

• Versys Pro
  • Acts 4:12
  • Bike: 2016 V1K
  • City / Town: Palmdale
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2017, 07:03:00 AM »
*Originally Posted by Throttled [+]
The good news is that to refit the holder, you do not need to removal all the of the fairing etc. Remove the screen and then there are two screws holding a section just above the headlight cluster. Mine was also stuck on with double sided tape, I presume to stop buzzing. You should be able to reach in through that gap.
I replaced those with LEDs, so even if they slip out, they won't melt anything.
Bob
----------
Repay no one evil for evil, but give thought to do what is honorable in the sight of all. (Romans 12:17)

Offline Paul_Smith

• Versys Master
  • Bike: V1K 2016 Black
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2017, 09:37:20 AM »
The headlight bulbs are H7 not H4 so you can not just stick in a dual element bulb. The other issue being lowbeam and high beam selection is controlled by the shape of the reflector, not the bulb, so even if you could put a dual element bulb in their and wire it up, it would be no different to just leaving your high beam on. The current best option (in my opinion) is to use something like the Skene controler which lets have the High beam on at about 20% power when the low beam is on, which is bright enough to be visible but not bright enough to blind. 

The city lights can be replaced with LED bulbs which have a much lower power consumption, and correspondingly lower heat output (and they are brighter). The ones I used are: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0088XET0S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

Offline Throttled

• Versys Member
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2017, 09:50:08 AM »
I will be doing the same and will get an LED.

The bulb sits behind the opaque, upper part of the headlight, above the main and dipped beam. That the plastic is opaque is why I had not noticed the bulb was missing and not just blown

Offline Throttled

• Versys Member
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2017, 07:59:51 PM »
LED fitted, way brighter and I have made sure the fitting is secure. It popped into place, a quarter turn and job done.

Recent Topics