Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Did someone ask for a glowstik?  (Read 1143 times)

Offline Grim

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2016 Versys 1K
Did someone ask for a glowstik?
« on: August 03, 2017, 12:03:21 AM »
Finally got around to adding some "auxiliary lighting" to the bike.  What can I say, I like to be seen at night and every little bit helps.

I used the Plug-Nz kit from ChromeGlow.  I bought everything piecemeal so right now, I have in use the Deluxe Controller (18 colors, 13 modes), 4 10-inch strips and 4 4-inch strips.  Had to do some wire cutting and re-terminating since the lights come with a 50" wire attached to each and that would have been a cable-routing nightmare.  Fortunately, I found a website that sells the connectors (same stuff used on computer fans).  Sorry I don't have under-seat pictures at the moment, I forgot to take them when I finally got done that night.  I'll try to remember to upload in the near future.

I have a couple more lights rigged up front (under the front fairing), but need to buy some more wire to run to the controller.  I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but if you're interested and need links to where I got everything, just ask.
Omnis moritur, sed non omnis vivit

Offline Huckleberry

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2016 V1
  • City / Town: Portland, OR
Re: Did someone ask for a glowstik?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 12:28:43 AM »
Not sure it's for me, but I'll give you points for creativity !  Nice.
I've rarely gotten in hot water over something I didn't say.

Dave

Offline Deso_70

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2017 Versys 1000 GT
  • City / Town: Grimsby
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 07:36:57 AM »
I like this sort of thing. Unfortunately it's illegal over here. Anything other than white at the front and red at the back will get you pulled by an over zealous police person. 🏍🚔🚨👮🏻
What if the whole world farted at once?

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: GREEN, 2017 GT
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 09:25:06 AM »
not my style, sorry   :151:   
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Offline frenchminet

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys GT 2016
  • City / Town: ALES
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 10:44:39 AM »
Christmas already ??

Haven't seen the time pass :138: :138:
There are many old bikers
There are many reckless bikers
There are few old and reckless bikers...

Online Pickaxe

• Versys Pro
  • City / Town: Droitwich
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 11:09:26 AM »
Looks like Blackpool illuminations :002: or in translation Las Vegas.
2017 BMW R1200RT LE
2015 Blue Triumph 1050 Sprint GT

Offline Paul_Smith

• Ex Member
  • Versys God
  • Account Terminated
  • Bike: V1K 2016 Black
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2017, 05:35:28 PM »
*Originally Posted by Deso_70 [+]
I like this sort of thing. Unfortunately it's illegal over here. Anything other than white at the front and red at the back will get you pulled by an over zealous police person. 🏍🚔🚨👮🏻
Actually, that is not strictly correct. There are two things you can't do;
You can't 'imitate' an emergency vehicle, or be confused for one, so blue lights and flashing lights are a problem they take seriously.
You can't disguise or confuse your direction of travel, you can have rear facing white lights (reversing lights, work lights etc) and front facing red lights (indicators, position lights etc) but you can not shine a white light against your direction of travel, and you can not show only red light in the direction of travel.

Offline fasteddie

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2016 Grey
  • City / Town: suffolk cty, NY
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2017, 05:57:19 PM »
Pretty wild.  I like it. 
1974 suzuki ts185 enduro ('the grey one')
1981 kawasaki kz750, 1992 suzuki gsxr1100,
2006 Hayabusa, 2006 Multistrada 1000,
2012 Triumph Thunderbird Storm supercharged

Offline Sonny

• Versys God
  • Bike: '15 V1K LT, VN900C
  • City / Town: DFW, TX
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2017, 06:39:19 PM »
Around Dallas, all kinds of sportbikes and cruisers are so adorned, and taste be damned, you surely can see them at night, and see them again as you do a double take...

Down here on the south side, the Polaris three-wheelers are popular, and a lot of them look like rolling Christmas parade floats after dark. More power to 'em, says I.

The colored illumination on the patch of pavement under the bike draws the eye as well.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 06:42:12 PM by Sonny »
G2Ergo throttle tube, Givi Airflow screen, Dan Moto carbon fiber exhaust, Grip Puppies, Moto Werk bar risers, Kaw rad guard

Offline Grim

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2016 Versys 1K
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2017, 10:10:44 PM »
I was looking for a way to be a bit more visible with my last bike (Harley) since the one little white light up front and one little red light in back wasn't overly visible at night (same problem I have with V).  A couple of brothers recommended an LED setup from ChromeGlow.  I did what I could to light that bike up, but it's hard to hide wires on a bike with no fairings and I wasn't too froggy to get into custom wiring at the time.  Still I managed to light it up pretty well with strips under both sides of the tank and on the rear frame.

From then on, I liked the improved visibility at night time (people seeing me, not me seeing them).  With the choice of 18 colors, I can avoid emergency colors if necessary based on location (some states consider blue the police color, mine it's red and blue).  I've spoken with police and have been told that so long as the lights do not shine out toward traffic (reflecting off of bike or ground is fine) and they are not blinking or changing color while riding, they are fine.

A little extra attention is nice when you're out at night and park the bike as well.  The LEDs have very little draw from the battery and I like to leave them in a flashing, attention-getting mode while I'm off the bike.  It draws attention and helps to deter those with nefarious intent.
Omnis moritur, sed non omnis vivit

Recent Topics