Komboloi Komboloi
4 Posts
TYKE TYKE
3 Posts
Floydsz1 Floydsz1
2 Posts
Skip
2 Posts

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Avon Spirit tyres  (Read 3265 times)

Offline mikep

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Satsuma 2015
  • City / Town: Lafayette, LA
Re: Avon Spirit tyres
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2018, 08:25:16 PM »
Thanks for the update 100.  If I understand you correctly, the spirits are about the same as the 3D's. Generally.

I have a set or PR4s with a few thousand miles on them right now.  I like them ok and will probably buy some more, but the front wear is a bit funny also, making turn in more difficult as it wears.  PR series tires have done the same on other bikes too, for me.  The front will out last the rear by  2K miles, may get 7k out of the rear. 

So, I'm still looking for that perfect tire combo.  Yea, I know, maybe in the next life.

In the mean time, I'll look for some 3D's and give them a try.  Amazon has a pair for $287 shipped.

It seems that all the modern tires I'v tried are pretty damn good, it's just a matter of how long they last.

Online 100milesaway

• Versys God
  • Bike: Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Leyburn. N Yorks
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2018, 08:29:17 AM »
*Originally Posted by TYKE [+]
Just a thought Geoff, and it may be completely irrelevant but since fitting your latest tyres you have made substantial changes to the bikes suspension,  do you think there could be any connection  :question:
Just browsing threads this morning, and came across this one. Sorry Rog but never saw it first time around.

In answer to your question, no I don't think the suspension upgrade made any noticeable difference to tyre wear, or steering input on the Versys. The Avon Spirits wore fantastically well right across the surface of the tyre. I still have the rear in the garage, and was looking at it yesterday. That tyre looks in great shape (literally), it did 8,000 miles, and would probably do another 2 thousand, but was replaced along with a new front, which was on the wear markers.

But even before the suspension upgrade the forerunner of the Spirit, the 3D XM wore great too.  :002:
If man evolved from monkeys, why are there still monkeys?

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: GREEN, 2017 GT
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2018, 10:33:30 AM »
*Originally Posted by 100milesaway [+]
Just browsing threads this morning, and came across this one. Sorry Rog but never saw it first time around.

In answer to your question, no I don't think the suspension upgrade made any noticeable difference to tyre wear, or steering input on the Versys. The Avon Spirits wore fantastically well right across the surface of the tyre. I still have the rear in the garage, and was looking at it yesterday. That tyre looks in great shape (literally), it did 8,000 miles, and would probably do another 2 thousand, but was replaced along with a new front, which was on the wear markers.

But even before the suspension upgrade the forerunner of the Spirit, the 3D XM wore great too.  :002:

Cheers Geoffers , interesting observations....I was beginning to think you didn't care about me anymore, or you were enjoying a little nap  (like I do - frequently)    :180:      :4:   
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Offline Rickrides

• Versys Member
  • City / Town: Grand Terrace, CA
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2018, 12:30:26 AM »
*Originally Posted by jackthebiker [+]
I really enjoy riding my Versys 1000, but I do miss the 16,000 to 18,000 miles from the tires of my previous bikes.

What were they, mopeds?  I've never heard of anyone getting that kind of mileage on a motorcycle tire. 

Offline Default

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versys 1000GT (2015)
  • City / Town: Edinburgh
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2018, 12:42:05 AM »
Hi :)

14k on Avon Storm 2

Brilliant dry, not so great in the wet.

Offline Kwakdave

• Versys Member
  • City / Town: Liverpool
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2018, 01:38:51 PM »
14K on Avons, now that is good. I just got 10.5K on a set of Pilot 3's. They were great in the wet and the dry. not done now in the bike size so ended up going for the Pilot 5's. really weird tread but we'll see if they are as good real soon
I wonder where this road leads...............

Offline Paul_Smith

• Ex Member
  • Versys God
  • Account Terminated
  • Bike: V1K 2016 Black
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2018, 11:30:53 AM »
:758:

14k from a set of tyres? Why? Why would you want to?

Everybody would agree that worn tyres are not as good as new tyres.
Almost everybody would agree that most short life tyres are better then most long life ones at everything (expect life).
Most people would agree that any 'new tyre' advantage is gone by about 4,000 miles to the extent that really sticky tyres may not even last 4,000 miles!

Even expensive tyres are only about £250 fitted.

Change at 2,500 miles  = 250/2500 = 10p a mile
Change at 4,000 miles  = 250/4000 = 6p a mile
Change at 6,000 miles  = 250/6000 = 4p a mile
Change at 8,000 miles  = 250/8000 = 3p a mile 
Change at 10,000 miles = 250/10000 = 2.5p a mile 
Change at 12,000 miles = 250/12000 = 2p a mile
Change at 14,000 miles = 250/14000 = 1.8p a mile
Change at 20,000 miles = 250/20000 = 1.25p a mile
Change at 28,000 miles = 250/28000 = 0.9p a mile.

So my question is why would you spend 10,000 miles or more riding on tired tyres when you don't have to? If the available grip is most significant factor then changing around 2,500 miles costs you 10p a mile. If cost savings are significant to you then changing between 6,000 and 8,000 gives you the maximum grip for the minimum cost. You have to double your mileage to save an extra 1p a mile, and double it again to save another one. If a penny a mile is significant to your motorcycling budget, then there are cheaper options then a litre class bike.

If you come from a cruiser or tourer background and have never experienced riding a bike with sticky tyres, treat yourself. For your birthday or your bikes or just because you can, put on a set of super sticky tyres, knowing you will be changing them out soon if you don't like them. It really is a lot of fun and as you can see, just not as expensive as you thought!   

Online Bart

• Versys Pro
  • City / Town: West Wales
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2018, 08:04:59 PM »
Food for thought there Paul, I think a lot of us sometimes get too hung up on mpg or tyre mileage.
I run sports tyres on my Blade, they are very very nice for the summer and was considering a set for the Vk, has anyone ever fitted sports tyres to the Vk ?

Offline saddlebag

• Versys God
  • Bike: V1K
  • City / Town: Ohiya
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2018, 08:21:17 PM »
*Originally Posted by Bart [+]
Food for thought there Paul, I think a lot of us sometimes get too hung up on mpg or tyre mileage.
I run sports tyres on my Blade, they are very very nice for the summer and was considering a set for the Vk, has anyone ever fitted sports tyres to the Vk ?

Depending on what you're using them for they're fine, but generally speaking, sport touring tires are you best bet for a road bike. They are plenty sticky for warm dry days and work a lot better in the rain and colder weather.
I'm actually running Avon Trailriders. I can scrape the pegs with them and they are perfectly grippy an neutral handling. As a bonus, they can make a good rooster tail on gravel roads.  :celebrate:

Online Bart

• Versys Pro
  • City / Town: West Wales
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2018, 10:47:37 PM »
*Originally Posted by saddlebag [+]
Depending on what you're using them for they're fine, but generally speaking, sport touring tires are you best bet for a road bike. They are plenty sticky for warm dry days and work a lot better in the rain and colder weather.
I'm actually running Avon Trailriders. I can scrape the pegs with them and they are perfectly grippy an neutral handling. As a bonus, they can make a good rooster tail on gravel roads.  :celebrate:

I understand what you are saying and know about the pro's and con's etc  but was just asking if anyone has fitted any.

I had a set of Trailriders on my 650 Versys and discovered that the front , which is the same sizes for the 1000 and 650, was wider than a typical sports touring tyre and it slowed the steering down a bit. I compared it to three other brands of sports touring tyre and it was 5 to 8 mm wider  :760:

Recent Topics

waggish