oldtimer oldtimer
1 Posts
sporthog93
1 Posts
Sonny Sonny
1 Posts
weljo2001 weljo2001
1 Posts

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Avon Spirit tyres  (Read 1538 times)

Offline mikep

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Satsuma 2015
  • City / Town: Lafayette, LA
Re: Avon Spirit tyres
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2018, 08:25:16 PM »
Thanks for the update 100.  If I understand you correctly, the spirits are about the same as the 3D's. Generally.

I have a set or PR4s with a few thousand miles on them right now.  I like them ok and will probably buy some more, but the front wear is a bit funny also, making turn in more difficult as it wears.  PR series tires have done the same on other bikes too, for me.  The front will out last the rear by  2K miles, may get 7k out of the rear. 

So, I'm still looking for that perfect tire combo.  Yea, I know, maybe in the next life.

In the mean time, I'll look for some 3D's and give them a try.  Amazon has a pair for $287 shipped.

It seems that all the modern tires I'v tried are pretty damn good, it's just a matter of how long they last.

Offline 100milesaway

• Versys God
  • Bike: Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Leyburn. N Yorks
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2018, 08:29:17 AM »
*Originally Posted by TYKE [+]
Just a thought Geoff, and it may be completely irrelevant but since fitting your latest tyres you have made substantial changes to the bikes suspension,  do you think there could be any connection  :question:
Just browsing threads this morning, and came across this one. Sorry Rog but never saw it first time around.

In answer to your question, no I don't think the suspension upgrade made any noticeable difference to tyre wear, or steering input on the Versys. The Avon Spirits wore fantastically well right across the surface of the tyre. I still have the rear in the garage, and was looking at it yesterday. That tyre looks in great shape (literally), it did 8,000 miles, and would probably do another 2 thousand, but was replaced along with a new front, which was on the wear markers.

But even before the suspension upgrade the forerunner of the Spirit, the 3D XM wore great too.  :002:
If man evolved from monkeys, why are there still monkeys?

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: GREEN, 2017 GT
  • City / Town: Ballymena, Antrim
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2018, 10:33:30 AM »
*Originally Posted by 100milesaway [+]
Just browsing threads this morning, and came across this one. Sorry Rog but never saw it first time around.

In answer to your question, no I don't think the suspension upgrade made any noticeable difference to tyre wear, or steering input on the Versys. The Avon Spirits wore fantastically well right across the surface of the tyre. I still have the rear in the garage, and was looking at it yesterday. That tyre looks in great shape (literally), it did 8,000 miles, and would probably do another 2 thousand, but was replaced along with a new front, which was on the wear markers.

But even before the suspension upgrade the forerunner of the Spirit, the 3D XM wore great too.  :002:

Cheers Geoffers , interesting observations....I was beginning to think you didn't care about me anymore, or you were enjoying a little nap  (like I do - frequently)    :180:      :4:   
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Offline Rickrides

• Versys Member
  • City / Town: Grand Terrace, CA
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2018, 12:30:26 AM »
*Originally Posted by jackthebiker [+]
I really enjoy riding my Versys 1000, but I do miss the 16,000 to 18,000 miles from the tires of my previous bikes.

What were they, mopeds?  I've never heard of anyone getting that kind of mileage on a motorcycle tire. 

Offline Default

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versys 1000GT (2015)
  • City / Town: Edinburgh
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2018, 12:42:05 AM »
Hi :)

14k on Avon Storm 2

Brilliant dry, not so great in the wet.

Offline Kwakdave

• Versys Member
  • City / Town: Liverpool
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2018, 01:38:51 PM »
14K on Avons, now that is good. I just got 10.5K on a set of Pilot 3's. They were great in the wet and the dry. not done now in the bike size so ended up going for the Pilot 5's. really weird tread but we'll see if they are as good real soon
I wonder where this road leads...............

Recent Topics

waggish