Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Single cable from battery to power all.  (Read 1290 times)

Offline DanielJ

• Versys Member
  • City / Town: Carrigaline
Single cable from battery to power all.
« on: August 25, 2017, 08:56:43 AM »
Hi all, just acquired a 2014 versys 1000 after having used this forum for research I am pleased with my purchased. I have and still am a BMW 1600GT rider.  I seem to have the best of both worlds.

I am Considering fitting one cable from battery to front end of bike so I can supply power to a number of items, is there any new type of electronic gizmo[fusebox]?
My reason is to reduce the number of cables running the length of the bike? Is ther such a device.  In the past I would have fitted a second fuse box.

Thanks in anticipation
DanielJ

Offline Paul_Smith

• Versys Master
  • Bike: V1K 2016 Black
Re: Single cable from battery to power all.
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 11:51:44 AM »
Not sure what you mean by reduce? If you are thinking about changing the existing wiring loom then I have to assume you are already an electrical expert and don't need our help or advice. If you are just looking to add a few dodads in and around the cockpit area and don't want to run separate lines for each, the a €10 fuse block and a €3 relay will have you sorted. The Versys is not a BMW so you don't have to spend hundreds on simple jobs.

Offline kotbaun

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: klz1000lt 2016
  • City / Town: brooklyn
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 09:35:06 PM »
 I did on all my bikes one wire but it is necessary to put several relays

Offline DanielJ

• Versys Member
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2017, 09:43:20 PM »
Ya, one wire is what I want to do but I was wondering is there any electronics/box/gizmo etc to replace many relays? Something neat and tidy is what I'm after.
Regards
DanielJ

Offline Paul_Smith

• Versys Master
  • Bike: V1K 2016 Black
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2017, 02:41:21 PM »
Still not clear on what you are talking about? What "many relays"? If you want switched power to multiple devices then you need one relay to switch the power, and a distribution board (fuseblock) to deliver the power to the devices. Exactly how many devices are you thinking of running? How much power will they consume and how much power do you think you have available?

Offline TowerMan

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 650
  • City / Town: Biggar.
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2017, 04:59:59 PM »
*Originally Posted by DanielJ [+]
Hi all, just acquired a 2014 versys 1000 after having used this forum for research I am pleased with my purchased. I have and still am a BMW 1600GT rider.  I seem to have the best of both worlds.

I am Considering fitting one cable from battery to front end of bike so I can supply power to a number of items, is there any new type of electronic gizmo[fusebox]?
My reason is to reduce the number of cables running the length of the bike? Is ther such a device.  In the past I would have fitted a second fuse box.

Thanks in anticipation
DanielJ
Fuzebloks Fz1  :028:

Fuzeblocks.com has designed a fuse block that is easy to install and fits into a small space. The on board relay offers the choice for any device to be switched on or off automatically with the vehicle or to be powered constantly.
With the FZ-1 in place you can power all kinds of motorcycle accessories including, but not limited to, auxiliary lighting, GPS, radar detector, CB/FRS/GMRS radio, heated grips, XM radio, audio mixers, intercom system and any other device requiring 10A or less. Any of these accessories can have constant or switched power by simply placing the fuse in the correct position for the power desired.

Richard  :001:

and the  on www.versys.co.uk              

National Versys Meet - 18th to 20th May 2018
Location - Ross-on-Wye  -  Details HERE :028:

Offline kotbaun

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: klz1000lt 2016
  • City / Town: brooklyn
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2017, 05:44:49 PM »
bad idea!!!!!
1 in the event of a breakdown of the relay, all devices will not work!
2 light and heating correctly power on separate relays!
3 $ 89 wtf?
4 wires and several relay price is not more than 20 !!!!!!!

Offline DanielJ

• Versys Member
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2017, 09:54:55 PM »
Towerman your on my wave length, I'm just trawling to see what's out there.  I don't want a bunch of gadgets upfront and wires everywhere to power my needs.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 10:01:42 PM by DanielJ »

Offline Vespista1960

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000 2015
  • City / Town: Milano
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2017, 07:31:15 AM »
*Originally Posted by DanielJ [+]
...I don't want a bunch of gadgets upfront and wires everywhere to power my needs.
Paul_Smith's question is relevant. Exactly, what devices are you going to connect?
Versys oem wiring has many dedicated lines with connectors for the most common devices. Most (or all, I don't remember) of them are switched.
Are you sure you really need more lines?

Offline Ciboney

• Versys Pro
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2017, 05:49:13 PM »
*Originally Posted by Vespista1960 [+]
Paul_Smith's question is relevant. Exactly, what devices are you going to connect?
Versys oem wiring has many dedicated lines with connectors for the most common devices. Most (or all, I don't remember) of them are switched.
Are you sure you really need more lines?

:89:
Before you start running wires, see if whats already there works for you.
Old guys are still fast, when they want to be.

Recent Topics