Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Versys Gen 1 fitting / adjusting to accomodate LED conversion.  (Read 468 times)

Offline vincentder

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: versys 1000 gt
  • City / Town: Zoetermeer
Versys Gen 1 fitting / adjusting to accomodate LED conversion.
« on: September 05, 2017, 11:54:00 AM »
Been looking to upgrade the standard filaments with LED and with the current offerings mimicking the focal point of halogen feel confident that they will meet the requirements of lighting the road ahead and not blinding the upcoming traffic in the process.

I am looking for actual Gen 1 owners experience that have replaced the standard with LED and/or Gen 2 owners that can either confirm or deny that the bulb mounting setup on the G2 is similar or the same (in which case their input is highly appreciated aswell)

I'm looking for answers on the following questions:
  • Will the selected Led fit the space required behind the headlight?
  • Will the selected Led fit the rubber grommet?
  • Will the grommet need cutting into/modification?
  • I have seen aftermarket rubber grommets, has somebdy used them?
  • Will the original wiring need cutting into/modification?
  • Are all the questions above applicable for the dipped beam only and/or is the full beam more/less difficult?
  • Anything else anybody wants to share regarding the topic

I'm looking into these Lumiled Led lights:

I think Paul Smith has them on his Gen2

This is how the Gen 1 headlight looks like:

I think the rubber grommet 49016 can also expand to the back....

Had my headlight unit off beginning of this year (original bulbs lasted for 30.000 km and since getting them replaced is a  :172: job because you need to practically get all the front and side fairing off I thought Id replace them with some new ones to avoid needing to do it roadside)

Looked like this:

Wanted to make sure I did my homework before getting it all off again so thought I'd consult you guys.  :152:
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 07:40:24 PM by Admin »

Offline vincentder

• Versys Pro
Re: Versys Gen 1 fitting / adjusting to accomodate LED conversion.
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 05:05:14 PM »
Ow if anybody else has successfully mounted  anything else on the gen1 without modifications I'd be interested in that aswell. Might give a feel for size.

Offline vincentder

• Versys Pro
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 07:10:48 PM »
Ok, tried to prepare but will be pioneering I guess :)

What I found out so far is that there is an adaptor mounted on the h7 bulb that holds the bulb in place with the spring, and also converts the h7 prongs into 2 of 3 h4 ones that fit the female side of the loom.

Need to work this out, especially some kind of spacer that transfers the spring load to the bulb base. Can't use a Hid adaptor because the lamp body cannot fit in one. Will report back on this.

Secondly I'm trying to figure out whether to put the heat sink in or outside the rubber dust cap. If I put it outside (better for passive cooling since there is no fan)  there is only 50% thread connection between the heat sink and the lamp body.

I seem to read a lot that people stick the sink behind the dustcap because that's the oem thing to do, can it hurt? Does it weigh up against the half connection to put it outside.....

Any comments would be great.

Offline longdog

• Versys God
  • Bike: Kawasaki Versys
  • City / Town: Swansea
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2017, 07:47:28 PM »
I have bought some LEDs for my Gen 1 Versys and they have a built in fan...... But..... I have not got around to trying to fit them yet!

I am currently touring Northern Germany on my Versys and will not be home until after the 18th. so I can't offer any part numbers or spec on the ones that I have.
Titty bars aren't bad if you enjoy being sexually aroused without an outlet. Oh, and they're also convenient if you're in the mood for paying double the normal price for a drink. If I'm in the mood to be treated poorly while giving up large amounts of cash, I visit a BMW dealership

Offline vincentder

• Versys Pro
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2017, 08:26:57 PM »
*Originally Posted by longdog [+]
I have bought some LEDs for my Gen 1 Versys and they have a built in fan...... But..... I have not got around to trying to fit them yet!

I am currently touring Northern Germany on my Versys and will not be home until after the 18th. so I can't offer any part numbers or spec on the ones that I have.

Thanks longdog, have pulled the trigger on the ones mentioned above so I will try to fit these. But chances are you will be encountering some of the same issues I am so hopefully I can help you out a bit aswell in the process.

Enjoy your trip in Germany. I will be there later this month aswell for a weekend.

Recent Topics