Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Front paddock stand  (Read 946 times)

Offline doc

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: versys 1000
  • City / Town: Huddersfield
Front paddock stand
« on: September 18, 2017, 11:52:11 AM »
Hi,Can anyone recommend a front stand to get the front wheel off the ground while the bike is on the centre stand please.Few i have looked at say a front paddock stand must be used with a rear one.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 11:56:14 AM by doc »

Offline fasteddie

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2016 Grey
  • City / Town: suffolk cty, NY
Re: Front paddock stand
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 04:23:00 PM »
*Originally Posted by doc [+]
Hi,Can anyone recommend a front stand to get the front wheel off the ground while the bike is on the centre stand please.Few i have looked at say a front paddock stand must be used with a rear one.
Such a stand may not exist.  Most front stands will want to drag the bike forward when you pop it up.  A centerstand is not stable enough longitudinally to risk popping off it's lift point.  You can always try it, but have a friend ready to catch the bike if it doesn't stay up.  Also keep in mind it's going to rock back onto the back wheel if you remove the front wheel or forks (which is just fine).  I would also surmise the most stable way to lift the front is with the pin-type lifter that goes under the head-stock.  I believe you will need a pin for a ZX-14 that can be bought from Pitbull (different pins for different bikes).  Other options are - have a friend sit on the back seat to lift the front wheel.  Also, I'm not sure if you can use a fork type stand with the Versys as only one fork leg has a spring.  It may not be stable enough.
1974 suzuki ts185 enduro ('the grey one')
1981 kawasaki kz750, 1992 suzuki gsxr1100,
2006 Hayabusa, 2006 Multistrada 1000,
2012 Triumph Thunderbird Storm supercharged

Offline Nighthawk

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2015 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Washington State
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 06:36:08 PM »
I bought this one at Cycle Gear, but I did need to shorten the top tube supports, and should have taken a couple more inches off so the rear tire was further off the ground.  It rolls under the tire and rocks the bike backwards when lifting the front.  Seems that any stand with wheels would work okay, and not cause the bike to rock forward and cause it to come off the center stand?

Offline Ciboney

• Versys Pro
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 06:50:25 PM »
*Originally Posted by Nighthawk [+]
I bought this one at Cycle Gear, but I did need to shorten the top tube supports, and should have taken a couple more inches off so the rear tire was further off the ground.  It rolls under the tire and rocks the bike backwards when lifting the front.  Seems that any stand with wheels would work okay, and not cause the bike to rock forward and cause it to come off the center stand?

I got the same one.  It was cheap, like $60 and it works fine.
Old guys are still fast, when they want to be.

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: GREEN, 2017 GT
  • City / Town: Ballymena, Antrim
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2017, 09:31:11 PM »
*Originally Posted by doc [+]

I bought a Draper low height scissor type jack, which lifts the bike under the sump, just enough to let the front wheel turn. It works really well, I guess alow level trolley jack will do the same

I've looked for a link to one like mine but cannot find it anywhere which is odd  :187:   
You preach what you need to hear

Roger (Rog)

Offline doc

• Versys Pro
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 01:46:33 AM »
*Originally Posted by TYKE [+]
I bought a Draper low height scissor type jack, which lifts the bike under the sump, just enough to let the front wheel turn. It works really well, I guess alow level trolley jack will do the same

I've looked for a link to one like mine but cannot find it anywhere which is odd  :187:

I will see if i can find one online.Sounds as though that would do the job thanks

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: GREEN, 2017 GT
  • City / Town: Ballymena, Antrim
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2017, 06:44:31 AM »
Sorry I can't find a link doc, look for a flat plate type lift not your usual car spare tyre scissor jack, mine is anout 1f˛ot by 6 inches rectangular with a rubber mat top, its funtional for other tasks too

A trolley  jack would work just as well  but make sure that you look for one that is low enough, I use a small block of wood between the lift and sump

Hope that helps 
You preach what you need to hear

Roger (Rog)

Offline doc

• Versys Pro
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2017, 04:52:24 PM »
*Originally Posted by TYKE [+]
Sorry I can't find a link doc, look for a flat plate type lift not your usual car spare tyre scissor jack, mine is anout 1f˛ot by 6 inches rectangular with a rubber mat top, its funtional for other tasks too

A trolley  jack would work just as well  but make sure that you look for one that is low enough, I use a small block of wood between the lift and sump

Hope that helps

Cheers pal

Offline 100milesaway

• Versys God
  • Bike: Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Leyburn. N Yorks
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2017, 05:28:43 PM »
Doc, have you looked at the Abba Superbike stand :question:. I use one for my bike, the stand will lift front and rear wheels clear of the ground enabling bother wheels to be removed. the front lift arm fits to the main part of the stand. Very handy when you want to take both wheels out at tyre change time.      www.abbastands.co.uk
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 05:34:41 PM by 100milesaway »
If man evolved from monkeys, why are there still monkeys?

Offline doc

• Versys Pro
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2017, 06:15:15 PM »
*Originally Posted by 100milesaway [+]
Doc, have you looked at the Abba Superbike stand :question:. I use one for my bike, the stand will lift front and rear wheels clear of the ground enabling bother wheels to be removed. the front lift arm fits to the main part of the stand. Very handy when you want to take both wheels out at tyre change time.      www.abbastands.co.uk

I will take a look thanks

Recent Topics

waggish