Top Posters Today

Keener Keener
3 Posts
Sonny Sonny
3 Posts
uralrob
2 Posts

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Around zero and subzero temps  (Read 2945 times)

Offline fasteddie

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2016 Grey
  • City / Town: suffolk cty, NY
Re: Around zero and subzero temps
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2017, 02:08:41 AM »
I'm in the northeastern USA, I ride in those temps more than I do in the summer.  I only roll with Michelins, and as soon as I can remove the stock tires, I'm going with PR4's.  I don't ride enough or have experience enough to ride other brands for trial purposes, but Michelins are one of my risk mitigation strategies .  About 10 years ago I had a bad experience with bridgestone, but it's not relevant because there have been several generations of improvements since then, and I can tell you so far the Bridgestones this bike came with have been the cat's ass.  When it gets cold out, I'll be experimenting.
1974 suzuki ts185 enduro ('the grey one')
1981 kawasaki kz750, 1992 suzuki gsxr1100,
2006 Hayabusa, 2006 Multistrada 1000,
2012 Triumph Thunderbird Storm supercharged

Offline Vespista1960

• Versys Master
  • Bike: Versys 1000 2015
  • City / Town: Milano
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2017, 11:05:46 AM »
I agree with Pickaxe.
At the last Elefantentreffen some of us including myself had mounted new winter tires widely advertised here in Italy as specific for cold, wet and snowy roads: Anlas Winter Grip Plus. The result was unsatisfactory. On wet road, very cold (-12/-15°C), I noticed some skidding that those with standard tires did not have.
Have a nice Pinguinos!

Offline Vladimir

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: Kawasaki Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Calpe
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2017, 12:35:01 PM »
Thank you guys, I'll opt for PR4 then. After Pinguinos 2018, I will report if they are as good as Anakee 2 in wet&cold. By the way, anyone here going to Pinguinos or Motauros in January 2018?

Offline Paul_Smith

• Ex Member
  • Versys God
  • Account Terminated
  • Bike: V1K 2016 Black
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2017, 03:58:38 PM »
*Originally Posted by TallyRex [+]
Cars weave to warm up their tires.  It's different on a bike.  Brisk acceleration heats the rear and hard braking heats the front.  Warming up your tires is more important than which name brand tire you are running.
Bikes can weave much harder then cars, use it to practice your counter steering. I use T30s all year round which in Ireland that means -5 to +25.

Online Sonny

• Versys God
  • Bike: '15 V1K LT, VN900C
  • City / Town: DFW, TX
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2017, 04:56:18 PM »
The Safety Information section of the OM says "Avoid Unnecessary Weaving... Unnecessary weaving jeopardizes the safety of both the rider and other motorists."

Pish. Use your damned chicken strips! Hmm... maybe they are referring to unnecessary weaving of a sweater while riding, in which case, good advice!  :027:
G2Ergo throttle tube, Givi Airflow screen, Dan Moto carbon fiber exhaust, Grip Puppies, Moto Werk bar risers, Kaw rad guard

Offline dancingweasel

• Versys Pro
  • City / Town: Exeter
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2017, 05:10:47 PM »
*Originally Posted by fasteddie [+]
.... I can tell you so far the Bridgestones this bike came with have been the cat's ass....

Please excuse my ignorance of matters feline - but is the cat's ass a good thing, or a bad thing ?

Online Sonny

• Versys God
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2017, 05:16:31 PM »
It's a very good thing, right up there with the cat's pajamas.

We say weird things over here in the colonies... but we have no monopoly on it!  :001:

For ex., we will "pick a booger" but would never tell someone to "bugger off." No, we precede the "off" with the 4-letter word for the reproductive act. That particular word is used for almost every purpose. We have noun, verb, adverb and adjective forms for the word so we can just lay it on anywhere.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 05:23:59 PM by Sonny »
G2Ergo throttle tube, Givi Airflow screen, Dan Moto carbon fiber exhaust, Grip Puppies, Moto Werk bar risers, Kaw rad guard

Offline dancingweasel

• Versys Pro
  • City / Town: Exeter
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2017, 05:31:28 PM »
Thank you for the update. :-) Will take it on board (as we say!).

Offline 100milesaway

• Versys God
  • Bike: Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Leyburn. N Yorks
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2017, 09:26:27 PM »
*Originally Posted by Sonny [+]
It's a very good thing, right up there with the cat's pajamas.

We say weird things over here in the colonies... but we have no monopoly on it!  :001:

For ex., we will "pick a booger" but would never tell someone to "bugger off." No, we precede the "off" with the 4-letter word for the reproductive act. That particular word is used for almost every purpose. We have noun, verb, adverb and adjective forms for the word so we can just lay it on anywhere.
And you call roads pavements, whereas in the UK the pavement is reserved for pedestrians. :138:
If man evolved from monkeys, why are there still monkeys?

Online Sonny

• Versys God
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2017, 10:17:39 PM »
That's right, any hardened improved road surface is called pavement here, be it concrete, asphalt or brick. "Unpaved" means sand, gravel, dirt, grass. The pedestrians are on a sidewalk, which is also paved. If it's not paved then it's not a sidewalk, it's a path.

Go figure.  :187:

Recent Topics