Top Posters Today

Keener Keener
3 Posts
Sonny Sonny
3 Posts
uralrob
2 Posts

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Around zero and subzero temps  (Read 2944 times)

Offline peter73

• Ex Member
  • Versys Master
  • Account Terminated
  • Bike: Versys 1000 Mk2
  • City / Town: Sofia
Re: Around zero and subzero temps
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2017, 05:06:16 PM »
*Originally Posted by Vespista1960 [+]
... On wet road, very cold (-12/-15°C), I noticed some skidding that those with standard tires did not have...

It would never come to my mind to take my bike out at such temperatures, let alone try and ride it. RESPECT!!!

Online Sonny

• Versys God
  • Bike: '15 V1K LT, VN900C
  • City / Town: DFW, TX
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2017, 05:51:11 PM »
No kidding! When it's that cold I am leaving the bike in the garage big time.  :43:

Forget traction... I have ridden into serious hypothermia several times to finish a trip and it is dangerous as can be. You get where you can't feel your hands and feet on the controls and even worse, your brain and reaction time slow down and turn to fudge. Your basic judgement goes inactive. I have bored numbly through in a straight line until, when I came to a stop, I had a very hard time standing up and getting off the bike. Never again!  :25:
G2Ergo throttle tube, Givi Airflow screen, Dan Moto carbon fiber exhaust, Grip Puppies, Moto Werk bar risers, Kaw rad guard

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: GREEN, 2017 GT
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2017, 07:54:51 PM »
I'm with you Sonny...brrrrrr too cold for me and my old bones

I used to have Trials bikes and remember at one event being soooooo cold that my fingers wouldn't work the levers and my head was hurting due to the frosty weather and it was no where near -15  :5:   
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Offline Vespista1960

• Versys Master
  • Bike: Versys 1000 2015
  • City / Town: Milano
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2017, 07:06:46 AM »
With good gear and muffs over heated grips it's not so bad.
Only issue of BigV is that it offers no protection for feet. Vladimir should invent something to divert wind from the feet, for next Pinguinos, and report.

Offline Vespista1960

• Versys Master
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2017, 09:32:58 AM »
Something like this would be great: "footguard"

Offline wozzamatta

• Versys Master
  • Bike: Mk I Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Melbourne
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2017, 10:37:50 AM »
*Originally Posted by Paul_Smith [+]
Bikes can weave much harder then cars, use it to practice your counter steering. I use T30s all year round which in Ireland that means -5 to +25.

:180:  Riding all year round in southern Oz means -2C to + 45C, head north and temps climb into the 50C region.

Personally I think the heat is worse, anything over 40C and the faster you ride the hotter it gets, I generally drop back to about 90 kph on the freeways, dehydration is the big killer.
2012 Kawasaki Versys 1000
2015 KTM 1050 Adventure

Offline peter73

• Ex Member
  • Versys Master
  • Account Terminated
  • Bike: Versys 1000 Mk2
  • City / Town: Sofia
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2017, 10:40:09 AM »
I was wondering, though - does the engine get within normal operating temperature range under these conditions?

The lowest temperature I have ever ridden at was 1C and while it was a mountain pass so slow riding in lower gears, the coolant temp still got to below 60C.

Offline Vespista1960

• Versys Master
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2017, 02:09:56 PM »
I don't think low temperatures can be a problem for the engine if the coolant is ok. After warming up you see constantly a bit below 60C on the dashboard because the thermostat opens at 57C.
The component which suffers is rather the battery. It must be in good conditions and it's good idea for somebody in the group to have jumper cables or a portable starter.

Offline dancingweasel

• Versys Pro
  • City / Town: Exeter
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2017, 07:46:57 PM »
With good gear and muffs over heated grips it's not so bad.
Only issue of BigV is that it offers no protection for feet. Vladimir should invent something to divert wind from the feet, for next Pinguinos, and report.
I think the Tucano Urbano Gaucho I mentioned earlier will cover legs and feet. Certainly the one I saw (on a CB500X) did.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 07:48:59 PM by dancingweasel »

Offline Paul_Smith

• Ex Member
  • Versys God
  • Account Terminated
  • Bike: V1K 2016 Black
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2017, 11:50:42 PM »
I agree with Pickaxe.
At the last Elefantentreffen some of us including myself had mounted new winter tires widely advertised here in Italy as specific for cold, wet and snowy roads: Anlas Winter Grip Plus. The result was unsatisfactory. On wet road, very cold (-12/-15°C), I noticed some skidding that those with standard tires did not have.
Have a nice Pinguinos!
Below a sustained -5C, or in snow or ice, you need spiked tyres and god like skills, or you need more than two wheels.

I was working in Sweden in January a few years ago where the temperatures reached a high of -12C at lunchtime when a motorcycle courier turned up outside the office I was in. I don't think I have ever felt quite the same degree of hero worship before or since.

Recent Topics