Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Gear Position Indicator woes  (Read 1819 times)

Offline senpai71

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2015 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: San Francisco
Gear Position Indicator woes
« on: September 27, 2017, 07:11:19 PM »
So after being shocked by the price that Kawasaki wants to charge for a Gear Position Indicator (GPI) for my 2015 Versys 1000LT ($207), I figured I'd buy a third-party Chinese knock-off on eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/253066708053)...

It showed up in the mail yesterday, and it looks 'similar' to the Kawi version, although the lead is much longer (presumably because it's designed for multiple bikes with different requirements). Obviously not as nice, but what do you expect?

After taking off the fairings, I tried attaching it to the connector described in the official installation guide (https://www.kawasaki.com/Content/Uploads/Accessories/999940467/ii_999940467.pdf), but... nothing. Turned the bike on (on center stand), pulled in the clutch, put it into 1st gear, let out the clutch, but nothing displayed in the GPI.

My question is - is there an easy way of telling if the problem is with the shoddy GPI or whether it's something in the wiring? Obviously the former is much more likely, but should I be seeing different voltages across the three contacts in the connector when I'm in different gears? I was getting some voltage (which makes me think the GPI is just...crap), but does anyone know what I would see as I go up/down the gears?

Before I return this particular GPI, does anyone have any experience with third-party GPI's? Should I bite the bullet and get the Kawi one? Or just not bother anyway - I don't really need to know what gear I'm in anyway...

Thoughts?

Offline kotbaun

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: klz1000lt 2016
  • City / Town: brooklyn
Re: Gear Position Indicator woes
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 08:46:41 PM »
wrong installed plug!!!!
the right plug is under seat next to battery (diagnostic connector)!!!!!
you lucky nothing burned out!!!!!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 08:48:19 PM by kotbaun »

Offline senpai71

• Versys Member
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 09:57:47 PM »
Aha!

But in that case, how come the Kawi GPI only comes with a short cable? At least, that's what I see on the installation instructions...

Offline kotbaun

• Versys Pro
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 10:08:25 PM »
let me understand you have original or aftermarket gear position indicator?

Offline Sonny

• Versys God
  • Bike: '15 V1K LT, VN900C
  • City / Town: DFW, TX
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 10:44:35 PM »
Senpai, once you get familiar with the numbers, the tach and speedo will tell you what gear you're in, and the neutral light is there to help getting through to first when coming to a stop.  :028:
G2Ergo throttle tube, Givi Airflow screen, Dan Moto carbon fiber exhaust, Grip Puppies, Moto Werk bar risers, Kaw rad guard

Offline senpai71

• Versys Member
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2017, 10:59:16 PM »
*Originally Posted by kotbaun [+]
let me understand you have original or aftermarket gear position indicator?
I have an aftermarket one. The instructions that came with it are poorly translated into English, so it's really not clear where it should connect, so I looked at the installation instructions for the OEM one and assumed (see, there's the problem!) that it would connect to the main wiring loom connector behind the dash, just like the OEM one.

But it sounds like you're saying that aftermarket ones connect to the diagnostic connector next to the battery?

Offline kotbaun

• Versys Pro
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2017, 11:02:52 PM »
aftermarket connected under seat!!!!

Offline senpai71

• Versys Member
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2017, 11:20:04 PM »
*Originally Posted by Sonny [+]
Senpai, once you get familiar with the numbers, the tach and speedo will tell you what gear you're in, and the neutral light is there to help getting through to first when coming to a stop.  :028:
Sonny, TBH, I was just looking for another gadget to buy! This is the first bike (of many I've owned and ridden over the years) where there is even the possibility of having a GPI - every other bike you just know by feel (the combo, as you say, of speed & tach).

Offline senpai71

• Versys Member
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2017, 11:21:03 PM »
*Originally Posted by kotbaun [+]
aftermarket connected under seat!!!!

OK, I'll try it! Thanks for letting me know.

Weird that the OEM model and aftermarket ones connect differently....

Offline Sonny

• Versys God
  • Bike: '15 V1K LT, VN900C
  • City / Town: DFW, TX
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2017, 01:06:35 AM »
*Originally Posted by senpai71 [+]
...This is the first bike (of many I've owned and ridden over the years) where there is even the possibility of having a GPI...).

I know, it's one of those things we didn't know we needed until it was promoted and offered to us. Like cell phones...?

My whole riding life I sloshed the tank or peeked inside to see how much gas I had and flipped over to Reserve when the engine sputtered, and had no problems with it. Then suddenly everybody was griping about the accuracy of the gas gauge on their bikes!  :027:

G2Ergo throttle tube, Givi Airflow screen, Dan Moto carbon fiber exhaust, Grip Puppies, Moto Werk bar risers, Kaw rad guard

Recent Topics

waggish