Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Bought one sight unseen  (Read 1245 times)

Offline Rmplstlskn

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2016 Versys 1000 LT
  • City / Town: Charlottesville, VA
Re: Bought one sight unseen
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2017, 05:05:47 PM »
*Originally Posted by Oldplodder [+]
Can I suggest a radiator guard be added to your list of farkles?

Dave T

+1! I just added a fender extender after seeing a line of road dirt thrown up into the radiator fins after hitting a muddy puddle. That was my "writing on the wall" so to speak. Fender extender since that was fast & easy, I am now researching my radiator guard options. Any suggestions?

Rmpl

Offline Richs V1K

• Versys Member
  • The orange dreamsicle
  • Bike: '15 Versys 1000 LT
  • City / Town: Waconia, MN
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2017, 05:28:23 PM »
My farkle wish list was by no means all-inclusive.
There is WAY too much cool stuff available for this bike for the long term health of my wallet.
Must. Stay. In. Control.  :33:  :124:

Thankfully, most of it I don't really "need." Wait...did I just say that out loud?

I've had a fender extender on previous bikes and it sounds as if this one could use one as well.
Radiator guard still needed with fender extender fitted?

Wow, what a boring motorcycle.
-no one, ever.

Offline Oldplodder

• Versys Master
  • Knows bugger all
  • Bike: V1K Mk1-GL1800 '13
  • City / Town: Buckley
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2017, 05:59:27 PM »
*Originally Posted by Richs V1K [+]
I've had a fender extender on previous bikes and it sounds as if this one could use one as well.
Radiator guard still needed with fender extender fitted?

Definitely a rad guard - preferably with a fender extender.

Dave T
Lord, Please make me into the person my dog thinks I am.

Offline Richs V1K

• Versys Member
  • The orange dreamsicle
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2017, 03:44:24 AM »
It's home!!  :celebrate:
Every bit as nice as the dealer described. Not a single blemish that I could see/find.

First impressions/opinions and comparisons to what I've been used to riding for the last 13 years: (2003 Aprilia RST1000 Futura)

Yes, it's tall but manageable for me. I'm 6'2" and flat-footing it is no problem. Mounting and dismounting is more of an effort for my wife.
It has WAY more steering lock than my Aprilia. I can maneuver in the garage much easier.
It weighs about the same as the Aprilia, and I know it must carry that weight higher, but it doesn't feel like it does.
It handles absolutely beautifully. Those wide bars make counter steering and object-avoidance almost telepathic. Just think about it and it happens.
My better half tells me the pillion seat is better. That's saying something as the Futura is known for having one of the better seats in sport touring for both rider and passenger.
The stock mirrors are actually functional for more than looking at your shoulders! TallyRex you were absolutely correct. No extenders for me.
Power is more than adequate, no need for more as far as I'm concerned.
Stock exhaust can is hideous, too big and too quiet. My only styling dislike on the entire bike. Slip-on coming soon.
PO put a Givi screen on it. Tried it low to high, not liking it. Buffeting hits me square in the eyeballs at lowest setting and all the way up is not much better. Looking at Madstad screens. Suggestions?
Saddlebags are smaller than the Futura but I now have a tail trunk. For the daily commute I'll likely leave the bags off and just go with the trunk.

Pictures coming.
-no one, ever.

Offline Sonny

• Versys God
  • Bike: 2015 KLZ1000, VN900C
  • City / Town: DFW, TX
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2017, 03:57:08 AM »
Heh-heh... handling, power, brakes and ergos all work together very well as a package, don't they? It starts to hit you how smoothly and well the bike can be ridden, how much mastery you can attain on it, and it's exciting.  :celebrate:
G2Ergo throttle tube, Givi Airflow screen, Dan Moto carbon fiber exhaust, Grip Puppies, Moto Werk bar risers, Kaw rad guard

Offline Sonny

• Versys God
  • Bike: 2015 KLZ1000, VN900C
  • City / Town: DFW, TX
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2017, 02:12:14 PM »
The Delkevic slip-on cans are popular. They shave 8lbs off the bike's weight. The sound of the V remains fairly quiet unless you perform a catalytic converter-ectomy. The sound is tamed there, upstream of the muffler.

For technical and legal reasons, not a lot of us perform the de-cat. But those who do like it.
G2Ergo throttle tube, Givi Airflow screen, Dan Moto carbon fiber exhaust, Grip Puppies, Moto Werk bar risers, Kaw rad guard

Offline FootlOZe

• Versys Pro
  • Ulysses Motorcycle Club member
  • Bike: 2012 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Culburra Beach
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2017, 06:47:25 AM »
Welcome: I bought my bike based purely on the pictures in the ad but I have not been in the least bit disappointed in my purchase. Mine came well 'farkled' with SW Motech panniers, top box, driving lights, radguard etc and I have since added tyre pressure monitor, spoiler screen, heated grips. I might be nearing the end of my mods  :124: :033: (maybe!!!!).
FootlOZe
Growing older doesn't mean growing up!

Offline Richs V1K

• Versys Member
  • The orange dreamsicle
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2017, 06:46:45 PM »
Thought I better get around to posting a pic.

So here is "old faithful" that I referenced earlier in this thread. She'll be up for sale in the spring and will be missed.

And the new one, christened The Orange Dreamsickle.

An update to the farkle list:
Purchased the Kawi rad guard and a carbon fiber fender extender from an ebay seller in Spain. Quality and fit seem good but haven't installed yet.
-no one, ever.

Online longdog

• Versys God
  • Bike: Kawasaki Versys
  • City / Town: Swansea
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2017, 07:12:32 PM »
*Originally Posted by Rmplstlskn [+]
+1! I just added a fender extender after seeing a line of road dirt thrown up into the radiator fins after hitting a muddy puddle. That was my "writing on the wall" so to speak. Fender extender since that was fast & easy, I am now researching my radiator guard options. Any suggestions?

Rmpl

IMHO, Evotech is one of the very best, both for looks and from a practical point of view. I'm not sure which model you have, (I guess it's the latest model Versys?), but here's the link:

https://evotech-performance.com/collections/kawasaki-versys-1000-motorcycle-parts
Titty bars aren't bad if you enjoy being sexually aroused without an outlet. Oh, and they're also convenient if you're in the mood for paying double the normal price for a drink. If I'm in the mood to be treated poorly while giving up large amounts of cash, I visit a BMW dealership

Offline 100milesaway

• Versys God
  • Bike: Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Leyburn. N Yorks
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2017, 09:24:59 PM »
*Originally Posted by longdog [+]
IMHO, Evotech is one of the very best, both for looks and from a practical point of view. I'm not sure which model you have, (I guess it's the latest model Versys?), but here's the link:

https://evotech-performance.com/collections/kawasaki-versys-1000-motorcycle-parts
Just a note  !!!!!!!! The evotech rad guard on my MK2 is the same article that was fitted to my MK1.  So the guard is suitable for ALL Versys 1000s.  :152:
If man evolved from monkeys, why are there still monkeys?

Recent Topics

waggish