Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Hand Wind Deflectors  (Read 755 times)

Offline Dannyboy1949

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2017 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Medford, Oregon
Hand Wind Deflectors
« on: October 25, 2017, 04:51:13 AM »
It gets cold here and I don't like to wear heavy gloves for riding. I formed these deflectors to work with the stock hand guards and supplement the heated grips. They're made of acrylic. Polycarbonate would be tougher, but it's also a bit harder to form and these are under no stress. They help keep the thumbs and fingertips warm.

They look better on the bike than in the pics.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 04:56:05 AM by Dannyboy1949 »
I used to do self deprecating humor, but I wasn't very good at it.

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: GREEN, 2017 GT
  • City / Town: Ballymena, Antrim
Re: Hand Wind Deflectors
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 09:06:01 AM »
Neat job  :028:   
You preach what you need to hear

Roger (Rog)

Offline Kryton

• Versys Master
  • Bike: Gen 2 V1K
  • City / Town: Brighton
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 06:45:01 PM »
Nice job. The Givi hand guards or the Barkbusters do that for free. That's the issue with the Kawasaki ones, too small, too expensive and a bit useless
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid" - Benjamin Franklin

Offline Dannyboy1949

• Versys Member
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2017, 05:39:03 AM »
*Originally Posted by Kryton [+]
Nice job. The Givi hand guards or the Barkbusters do that for free. That's the issue with the Kawasaki ones, too small, too expensive and a bit useless

Not sure what you mean...the OEM handguards came stock on my bike and it cost me nothing to add the deflectors. Plus, in the hot weather I will spend the 5 minutes it takes to remove the deflectors for a bit more cooling.

But on a bike that has no handguards I agree there may be better options than OEM equipment.

Offline Le ptit Quebec

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Paris
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2017, 07:17:18 AM »
Very good idea, especially the bottom part, this is where it's the most difficult to keep the fingers alive during cold days.

What did you use to shape the pieces? Heat i'm sure but any woob form or something like this?

Offline Kryton

• Versys Master
  • Bike: Gen 2 V1K
  • City / Town: Brighton
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2017, 05:51:15 PM »
*Originally Posted by Dannyboy1949 [+]
Not sure what you mean...

Well the Givi hand guards and the Barkbusters are way bigger than the Kawasaki offering, so no need to fit deflectors. I agree on the stock guards, you need all the help you can get
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid" - Benjamin Franklin

Offline Dannyboy1949

• Versys Member
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2017, 04:16:44 AM »
*Originally Posted by Le ptit Quebec [+]
Very good idea, especially the bottom part, this is where it's the most difficult to keep the fingers alive during cold days.

What did you use to shape the pieces? Heat i'm sure but any woob form or something like this?

Nothing special used for forming. I used a 1500w heat gun and a vise to hold the material steady, heating along the areas I wanted to bend. Heavy gloves are a big help too because the acrylic gets really hot and retains the heat for awhile.

Where polycarbonate is easy to drill or machine without cracking...acrylic can be a bear. I've found that a step drill works great on acrylic.

Offline cloudwalker

• Versys Member
  • Walk the clouds, dream and live, never let them go
  • Bike: Versys 1000/GTR1400
  • City / Town: Ipswich
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2017, 06:58:56 PM »
 :020:Nice idea. I ride all year round either on the Versys or the GTR, so far, best solution for me is Gerbing heated gloves. Good sensitivity and they heat the whole hand including the end of the fingers. Grips only heat up the palm of the hands, saying that I have heated grips as well!!!!
Semi retired and loving it. Riding with Suffolk Advanced Motorcyclists.

Recent Topics