Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Fork Revalve ?  (Read 5801 times)

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: GREEN, 2017 GT
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
Re: Fork Revalve ?
« Reply #100 on: January 17, 2018, 07:15:31 PM »
Great explanation, however I would suggest that this is awork best carried out by an expert if indeed you are not as skilled as Bart   :028:   
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Offline Topbox

• Versys Pro
« Reply #101 on: January 17, 2018, 07:45:01 PM »
Some great improv with the special tools  :152:

Well done.

Your new shim stack seems to have similar shimming to bikes where both legs have compression damping.

Cheers
TB
Life, its not a rehersal.

Offline Bart

• Versys Pro
  • City / Town: West Wales
« Reply #102 on: January 17, 2018, 08:31:26 PM »
Thanks Tyke,
Yes, a bit of workshop ability is needed, but if you can change a fork seal/bushes then this should be possible.

Topbox,
I "borrowed" several techniques/ideas from YouTube to help things along so don't claim any credit for anything.
Re the shim stack, yes it was pretty soft but as you probably know there are so many variables, oil viscosity, valve hole area to name just two. It seemed to me that it needed lots of shims to be removed for my weight and preference to make a significant difference.
I suppose KHI have to allow for if the bike is ridden two up with luggage, which is the opposite to how I ride it.

It sounds like you have seen a few cartridge setups ??

Hopefully another will have a go for a second opinion.......

Offline Paul_Smith

• Ex Member
  • Versys God
  • Account Terminated
  • Bike: V1K 2016 Black
« Reply #103 on: January 18, 2018, 11:19:06 PM »
That is a good write up, I only feel a little bit scared. You talked about using heat to loosen the loctight, where did you apply the heat? The end cap, the tube hole? One of the tube ends looks slightly blued but that could be something else so I son't want to get that wrong.

Final question. Would you be willing to cut and paste this into its own thread in the General Maint section. It would be much easier to find then page 11 of a long winded thread like this one.

Offline Bart

• Versys Pro
« Reply #104 on: January 19, 2018, 12:52:28 AM »
Hi Paul,
The heat is applied to the bottom 1/2", you are trying to melt the loctite on the thread that holds the compression valve in the cartridge tube. If you google "breaking red loctite" this come up
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=breaking+red+loctite&oq=breaking+red+loc&aqs=chrome.0.0j69i57.8704j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#kpvalbx=1
A heat gun may work but I haven't tried it myself,  the vice needs to be very tight to hold the cartridge and also keep the damper rod in the clamped area to help support the cartridge tube wall.

I'm unsure how to go about a copy and paste because of the photo's...is this possible ?

Offline TowerMan

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 650
  • City / Town: Biggar.
« Reply #105 on: January 19, 2018, 09:50:42 AM »
*Originally Posted by Bart [+]
I'm unsure how to go about a copy and paste because of the photo's...is this possible ?
Bart

1. click quote
2. select & copy all text inside "Quote" marks
3. open new thread / post
4. Paste all text (+ image references) into new post

:028:
                  Details HERE  :123A:

Offline Bart

• Versys Pro
« Reply #106 on: January 19, 2018, 03:45:54 PM »
*Originally Posted by TowerMan [+]
Bart

1. click quote
2. select & copy all text inside "Quote" marks
3. open new thread / post
4. Paste all text (+ image references) into new post

:028:

TM to the rescue again..Ta Muchly

Offline raptorchris

• Versys Pro
  • City / Town: Hartford CT
« Reply #107 on: January 30, 2018, 12:30:14 PM »
I'm in the process of deciding what to do with my suspension on my 2015 V1K. Racetech does list a Gold Valve for the V1K. Would propper shims, along with a Gold Valve make a big difference? You felt you did all you could with the stock valve.

Offline Bart

• Versys Pro
« Reply #108 on: January 30, 2018, 02:54:56 PM »
Hi Chris,

It seems to me with the Versys that the heavier you are the less there is a need to revalve, ie the bike is set up to carry a bit of weight, so how much improvement you need/want will vary from rider to rider.
Revalving the the stock valve does make a big difference IMHO and it does have "proper shims", but just rather a lot of them for me. I've never used a Gold valve so have no reference but presumably you would be told what shims to use thus increasing the chance of getting it right without too many iterations and also looking at the Gold valve they have larger holes so will flow more oil and hopefully giving a plusher ride.

If you are going to do the work yourself then you have a choice, if you have to pay a mechanic maybe the Gold valve would work out better.

Let us know how you get on, I've not been fit to ride recently so cannot report on my Maxton setup to further compare to the above revalve.

Recent Topics