Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Oxford Heated Grips  (Read 1538 times)

Offline CuddyBuddy

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Brighton
Oxford Heated Grips
« on: October 30, 2017, 05:27:45 PM »
I've just picked up a 2012 Versys 1000.  Loving the Versys so far!  A few members here have recommended Oxford Heated grips.  Two questions.  One, which Oxford Grips have people chosen?  There appears to be three choices, of which only two probably make sense.  http://oxford-products.com/us/categories/Heated-Grips-%7B47%7D-Hot-Hands-/?sort=priceasc&page=4

Heaterz Premium Adventure - Heated Grips
They will fit onto most motorcycles that use 7/8" (22mm) ě handlebars. Each grip has an open end to allow the bar end weight to be refitted without the need to trim the grip. The standard length of the Premium Adventure Heaterz grip is 5.19" (132mm). Should the length need to be shortened, they can be trimmed to a minimum length of 4.80"

Heaterz Premium Touring - Heated Grips
They will fit onto most motorcycles that use 7/8" (22mm) ě handlebars. Each grip has an open end to allow the bar end weight to be refitted without the need to trim the grip. The standard length of the Premium Touring Heaterz grip is 4.72"" (120mm). Should the length need to be shortened, they can be trimmed to a minimum length of 4.37"

Second question - where are people placing the control unit?

TIA.

Paul
Paul
2012 Versys 1000
2004 Gold Wing 1800

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: GREEN, 2017 GT
  • City / Town: Ballymena, Antrim
Re: Oxford Heated Grips
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 05:33:22 PM »
Paul, I don't know about availability in Canada but I have Oxford Advanced Touring grips fitted to my bike and they are truly outstanding, in fact I have to turn them down most of the time as they can get too hot.

I've attached a link which provides detail of the features of these grips so that you can make an informed decision

Hope this helps

https://www.thevisorshop.com/en/gb/Oxford-Hot-Grips-Advanced-Touring-Heated-Grips/m-16934.aspx?PartnerID=21&utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=UnitedKingdom&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxb7s9vCY1wIVy7_tCh13bQMpEAQYBCABEgJtpfD_BwE 
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

Roger (Rog)

Offline CuddyBuddy

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Brighton
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 06:03:46 PM »
Thanks Tyke.  You chose the Touring grips rather than the Adventure grips.  That makes sense.  Can you tell where you put the control unit?

Thanks!
Paul
2012 Versys 1000
2004 Gold Wing 1800

Offline Crosshairs

• Versys Master
  • Bike: 2016 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: East Coast
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 06:25:22 PM »
I have the Koso heated grips on my Versys.

https://www.amazon.com/Koso-AM111030-Apollo-Heated-Grips/dp/B00T6IX42S

they work perfectly and the controller is built into the left grip which makes for a nice clean installation

This review sums it up nicely

Excellent heated grips. Used to have a pair of Oxford grips - these out perform in every way. Installation was a breeze, although the included superglue is questionable. I used Gorilla Glue instead. Incredibly easy to use, very sleek. The longest that I've used them without shutting off is 3 hours in about 45 degree F temps. I bought 2 sets, I highly recommend these grips.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 06:27:39 PM by Crosshairs »

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: GREEN, 2017 GT
  • City / Town: Ballymena, Antrim
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2017, 08:16:27 PM »
*Originally Posted by CuddyBuddy [+]
Thanks Tyke.  You chose the Touring grips rather than the Adventure grips.  That makes sense.  Can you tell where you put the control unit?

Thanks!

Yeah, the mounting bracket fits perfectly onto the clutch perch (2 bolts)The bracket required bendin slightly , but it was very easy to fit, the power cables run neatly to the power source and are kept tidy by using cable ties.

The controls fall very easily to hand and are clearly visible whilst riding  :002:
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

Roger (Rog)

Offline weljo2001

• Versys God
  • Bike: 2016 Versys 1000LT
  • City / Town: Norwalk,CA
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2017, 08:18:46 PM »
*Originally Posted by Crosshairs [+]
I have the Koso heated grips on my Versys.

https://www.amazon.com/Koso-AM111030-Apollo-Heated-Grips/dp/B00T6IX42S

they work perfectly and the controller is built into the left grip which makes for a nice clean installation

This review sums it up nicely

Went with the Koso Apollo Grips also. Super simple install and they work great.

P1010701 by weljo2001, on Flickr

P1010703 by weljo2001, on Flickr

P1010702 by weljo2001, on Flickr
[/quote]
I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Online Keener

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2015 Versys 1000
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2017, 01:08:35 AM »
Those Koso grips look good , how soft are they ? i just added some grip puppies and like them alot , was thinking of heated grips at one time and still may especially here in Canada ..

Offline mark f1

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versys 1000LT
  • City / Town: Lexington
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2017, 01:14:14 AM »
I bought the Oxford Sports and they are a little too short, controller mounted on left side of fairing in flat area just above 12V outlet. Mine's a 15 so may not be that helpful.

Offline weljo2001

• Versys God
  • Bike: 2016 Versys 1000LT
  • City / Town: Norwalk,CA
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2017, 01:37:20 AM »
*Originally Posted by Keener [+]
Those Koso grips look good , how soft are they ? i just added some grip puppies and like them alot , was thinking of heated grips at one time and still may especially here in Canada ..

They remind me of some gel grips i had on another bike...
I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Offline Crosshairs

• Versys Master
  • Bike: 2016 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: East Coast
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2017, 01:03:40 PM »
My Koso grips feel like any other regular  grips I've had over the years...... I cant say Ive noticed anything different about  them

Recent Topics

waggish