Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Where is your GPS?  (Read 2069 times)

Offline CuddyBuddy

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Brighton
Re: Where is your GPS?
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2017, 04:51:52 PM »
Huge help KLX.  Thanks!

BTW, we've spent many years making day rides in your area.  Forks of the Credit and other locations.  Nice!
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 05:03:59 PM by CuddyBuddy »
Paul
2012 Versys 1000
2004 Gold Wing 1800

Online vincentder

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: versys 1000 gt
  • City / Town: Zoetermeer
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2017, 05:52:18 PM »
*Originally Posted by CuddyBuddy [+]
Hi Vincent - It seems that between the SW Motech and the Moto Werks, since I have a 2012 Versys 1000 the only choice I have is SW Motech.  That's okay, it looks functional and good on your bike.  I just want to make sure of a couple of things.  One, does it affect your view?  Two, does it impede access to the ignition?  Three, does it impede access to anything else on the dashboard?

Also, is the cradle is hot when the bike is on (meaning the GPS unit turns on when it is put into the cradle)?  If that is correct, how do you have the cradle wired to your bike?

Thanks.

Glad to help :028:

So many new Gen 2's lately it's nice to be able to help with a fellow Gen 1 owner.

To answer your questions:

1. Obviously it is in the line of sight at some point but at the very bottom so it has never interfered with anything I would want to see in front of me.

2. No interference with ignitionkey.

3. Nothing else is in the way, the only thing I have with my mra screen and tomtom is that I need to be careful when I slide it off the base of the tomtom cradle, because it is quite close to the screen at that point.

First 2 pages of my gallery should give you some diffrent angles https://www.versys1000.com/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=52;nw;start=0

As far as cradles go, there is a quick lock on the bracket, and there is a cradle from tomtom mounted on that that connects to my tomtom.

I have never taken the quicklock off, I always leave the tomtom cradle on when I take the sat nav with me.

I think the Garmin alternatives work the same.

You can wire the powered cradle to your accessory outlet or run a wire directly to the battery. I decided I wanted it after ignition so I built in a relay that switches it. This way even if the cradle contact points should be exposed to the elements they are not powered when contact is off, hence keeping it from draining my battery or short circuiting.

Should be some topics about this (hope images are still working) which should be good to prepare any wiring you might want to do.

Good luck and enjoy!   :biker3:

Offline CuddyBuddy

• Versys Pro
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2017, 05:55:12 PM »
The Versys 1000 that I purchased has a taller windshield than what I see in your gallery.  Not sure if that's stock or not, but shouldn't be any problem seeing over top of the GPS.

Thanks again for your help.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 05:57:25 PM by CuddyBuddy »
Paul
2012 Versys 1000
2004 Gold Wing 1800

Online vincentder

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: versys 1000 gt
  • City / Town: Zoetermeer
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2017, 06:10:06 PM »
*Originally Posted by CuddyBuddy [+]
The Versys 1000 that I purchased has a taller windshield than what I see in your gallery.  Not sure if that's stock or not, but shouldn't be any problem seeing over top of the GPS.

Thanks again for your help.

The screen on the picture is actually the stock screen I cut off (some pics in the gallery show it taped prior to cutting it off)

Did that since I had it lying around when switching to the mra xcreen. To get some more flow on the hot days.

Online weljo2001

• Versys God
  • Bike: 2016 Versys 1000LT
  • City / Town: Norwalk,CA
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2017, 07:33:38 PM »
Before Speedy came out with his MotoWerk Mount i use a ram ball mount on the bar risers but got so much sun glare it was a pain and it also blocked the view of my gauges....

Electrical by weljo2001, on Flickr

Also had it mounted to a ram ball mount on the left side of the handle bars now i use my cup holder there....

P1010506 by weljo2001, on Flickr

P1010579 by weljo2001, on Flickr
I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Offline CuddyBuddy

• Versys Pro
SW-Motech
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2017, 11:33:55 PM »
Thanks everybody for your help.  Like I said in an earlier post, since I have a 2012 Versys 1000, between the SW-Motech and the Moto Werks the only choice I have is SW-Motech.  Ordered it and the Garmin cradle today.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 11:37:34 PM by CuddyBuddy »
Paul
2012 Versys 1000
2004 Gold Wing 1800

Offline TIGGR 2

• Versys Pro
  • Adrenalin better than booze but more addictive
  • Bike: GSXS1000 yoshi
  • City / Town: Taynuilt Argyle
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2017, 12:26:09 PM »
 now i use my cup holder there....

Words fail me, every days a school day  :lostit:
If it aint broke make it faster

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: GREEN, 2017 GT
  • City / Town: Ballymena, Antrim
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2017, 01:07:14 PM »
*Originally Posted by TIGGR 2 [+]
now i use my cup holder there....

Words fail me, every days a school day  :lostit:

I'm wondering where the ash tray will now be mounted  :008:   
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

Roger (Rog)

Online weljo2001

• Versys God
  • Bike: 2016 Versys 1000LT
  • City / Town: Norwalk,CA
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2017, 03:17:37 PM »
*Originally Posted by TYKE [+]
I'm wondering where the ash tray will now be mounted  :008:

Go ahead and laugh...But when i'm on a long ride in the summer and need a drink. I don't have to stop to do it I can just flip up the chin bar on my modular helmet and take a drink while riding. Also if i want to pick up lunch from a drive through i have somewhere to put the drink till get home. :002:  Its also a good place to put a camera if you plan on taking photos while your out.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 03:19:16 PM by weljo2001 »
I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: GREEN, 2017 GT
  • City / Town: Ballymena, Antrim
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2017, 08:45:59 PM »
*Originally Posted by weljo2001 [+]

Go ahead and laugh...But when i'm on a long ride in the summer and need a drink. I don't have to stop to do it I can just flip up the chin bar on my modular helmet and take a drink while riding. Also if i want to pick up lunch from a drive through i have somewhere to put the drink till get home. :002:  Its also a good place to put a camera if you plan on taking photos while your out.

Weather conditions /temperatures here generally dictate that a hot drink from a Thermos is required  cold drinks are less frequently needed, you are fortunate to enjoy warmer weather.

I wouldn't be taking a cool drink whilst on the move even on our hottest days but that is entirely your choice   :002:   
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

Roger (Rog)

Recent Topics

waggish