Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Looking to Buy  (Read 774 times)

Offline 100milesaway

• Versys God
  • Bike: Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Leyburn. N Yorks
Re: Looking to Buy
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2017, 07:58:39 PM »
*Originally Posted by stevebish [+]
Thanks Gents.

I shall of course request a test ride of at least an hour to ensure I can ride it with no discomfort.  Like I say, I wasn't even looking for a new bike until a casual late night browse on Autotrader last night.  The dealer is closed today, so will tap them up tomorrow.

I'll ask about the OEM exhaust, but would assume it was not included.  Any reason you ask this?  The Akropovic would be road legal wouldn't it? For MOT purposes I mean?

They are asking £3500, dropped from £4500. I guess they don't want a 'high mileage' bike in their showroom! My Transalp has 44,000 on it, still going strong, but starting to age enough to need spending money on it.  It'll all depend on what they offer for mine.  Just had to replace a car and the Mrs will go spare if I don't get a bargain!

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201709069030608?logcode=visc&fromSA=true
If the bike is in good order, and has been looked after, and serviced correctly it should be a bargain at that price. Most owners who put aftermarket cans on their bikes retain the OE one, which is often passed on when the bike is sold.  Enjoy the test ride. :152:
If man evolved from monkeys, why are there still monkeys?

Offline longdog

• Versys God
  • Bike: Kawasaki Versys
  • City / Town: Swansea
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2017, 08:05:23 PM »
*Originally Posted by stevebish [+]

I'll ask about the OEM exhaust, but would assume it was not included.  Any reason you ask this?  The Akropovic would be road legal wouldn't it? For MOT purposes I mean?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201709069030608?logcode=visc&fromSA=true

Forgot to mention that mine has had an Akro since the first day that I brought it home. I run mine without the optional baffle and I have never had a refusal from the MoT inspector at all, and it sounds rather good too!  :028:
Titty bars aren't bad if you enjoy being sexually aroused without an outlet. Oh, and they're also convenient if you're in the mood for paying double the normal price for a drink. If I'm in the mood to be treated poorly while giving up large amounts of cash, I visit a BMW dealership

Offline stevebish

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: Honda Transalp XL700
  • City / Town: BEDFORD
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2017, 08:26:48 PM »
Thanks again to you all.  This is the fastest responding forum I have ever seen!  :028:
Contemplating a Versys 1000...

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: GREEN, 2017 GT
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2017, 08:27:54 PM »
Welcome along Steve, the Versys 1000 is a very accomplished bike, as others have said the Mk2 version (2015 on) has improvements over its predecessor but the Mk 1 is still a winner and should meet your needs very well.

This forum is a fountain of knowledge and good solid advice can be found easily, all you need to do is ask, in that respect the advice and suggestions that you already have are good.

So good luck with your search and do keep us posted about developments. 
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Offline Tony the oldie

• Versys God
  • Bike: V1000 green
  • City / Town: Chelmsford
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2017, 08:54:13 PM »
Hi Steve

That looks like a good bike for not a lot of money.  So long as it has a proper service history the mileage will be fine.  The bike is brilliant for touring and will be a joy to commute for 20 miles - you may even find your commute stretches to 30 plus on nice days  :008:

Pillions really like the rear seat.  Good luck with the dealer - but I suspect you'll do better selling the Transalp privately. 

Hope you like the test ride - take your wallet  :152:

Tony

Offline keepthespirit

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Melton Mowbray
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2017, 05:16:21 AM »
That famous saying off,Tony the Oldie.....quote,Take your wallet.... believe me, he's right :4: :008:...i only went to look,and came away with one :celebrate:....
Lifes too short...if you want it....get it.

Offline cloudwalker

• Versys Member
  • Walk the clouds, dream and live, never let them go
  • Bike: Versys 1000/GTR1400
  • City / Town: Ipswich
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2017, 05:08:18 PM »
Hi Stevie, have to endorse the learned sages who have imparted their wisdom. I've had a Mk 1 and found it wanting for nothing, I now have a Mk 2 to play with alongside the GTR. Like you I have a 33/34 inside leg and I'm 6' 3" tall. The bikes are all day comfortable, both engines are absolute belters and I can't speak highly enough of them. Only reason I let go the Mk 1 was as part of the trade in for the 1st GTR (yes I'm on the second one of them as well) The Big K has come up with 2 fantastic bikes. If I'm honest and as SWMBO never looks at these forums I can be, if you have a Versys 1K you don't really need anything else. My local dealer mechanics reckon it's the best bike they know. Some of our riders are still on Mk 1's with 45k plus and they still look like new bikes. Just keep an eye on the weather proofing (FS365 or ACF) and it will just keep pulling and pulling. Little tip, nip over to the GTR forum if you get one and get a rear fender extender from Blueone over in Canada. All Versys 1K had the same back end as the GTR up to 2016, stops the crap from hitting the top box. Enjoy, you won't regret it.
Cheers Steve C
Semi retired and loving it. Riding with Suffolk Advanced Motorcyclists.

Offline stevebish

• Versys Newbie
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2017, 05:12:09 PM »
Well, I spoke to the garage this morning, and unfortunately they could only offer me £1500 for my Transalp.  Considering I had no budget at all, I cannot justify, or afford to, splash £2000 on this bike.  Maybe in December, after my bonus, if the bike has still not sold (unlikely I know), I could attempt justification again, but until then, I shall have to remain upon my trusty Transalp.

I shall likely sink into the shadows of this forum, but hope to reappear another day.

Thanks for the advice and messages given in this thread.  :031:

Offline stevebish

• Versys Newbie
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2017, 05:16:03 PM »
Just looked again and the bike has been taken down already...ah well, next time.

Recent Topics

waggish