Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Hand Guards  (Read 464 times)

Offline CuddyBuddy

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Brighton
Hand Guards
« on: November 07, 2017, 01:24:52 AM »
I'm certainly learning lots about add-ons for my Versys 1000, thanks in part to the members on this board.  Next on my list is hand guards.  Two questions.  One, do people use hand guards?  And if the answer is yes, the second question is what kind?
Paul
2012 Versys 1000
2004 Gold Wing 1800

Offline 100milesaway

• Versys God
  • City / Town: Leyburn. N Yorks
Re: Hand Guards
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 04:41:48 AM »
When I took delivery of my MK1, the heated grips had been fitted but the hand guards had not. The grips were next to useless without the wind blocking guards, so for this country (UK), especially if you ride all year round, they are money well spent.
I have found that the oe ones work well.
If man evolved from monkeys, why are there still monkeys?

Offline keepthespirit

• Versys Pro
  • City / Town: Melton Mowbray
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 05:12:19 AM »
On my MK1.... sw mototech... :028:
Lifes too short...if you want it....get it.

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: GREEN, 2017 GT
  • City / Town: Ballymena, Antrim
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 07:52:10 AM »
*Originally Posted by 100milesaway [+]
When I took delivery of my MK1, the heated grips had been fitted but the hand guards had not. The grips were next to useless without the wind blocking guards, so for this country (UK), especially if you ride all year round, they are money well spent.
I have found that the oe ones work well.

:89:  ahhh yes Geoff, the time when certain 'add on items' were on back order from mother Kawasaki    :028: 

CB you will almost certainly need hand guards and Motec or Kawasaki accessory variety are good, in fact they may even be almost identical 
You preach what you need to hear

Roger (Rog)

Offline 100milesaway

• Versys God
  • City / Town: Leyburn. N Yorks
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 08:34:22 AM »
*Originally Posted by TYKE [+]

:89:  ahhh yes Geoff, the time when certain 'add on items' were on back order from mother Kawasaki    :028: 

CB you will almost certainly need hand guards and Motec or Kawasaki accessory variety are good, in fact they may even be almost identical
It's still the same Rog.   Colin rode his new one around for about 4-6 weeks, until they had gathered all the GT bits and bobs.
If man evolved from monkeys, why are there still monkeys?

Offline flatfour

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2015 Versys GT
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2017, 09:37:10 AM »
I didn't like the hand guards on the demonstrator that I rode, so consequently mine have never been fitted. They sit in the garage in their unopened bag, together with the original screen!

Offline longdog

• Versys God
  • Bike: Kawasaki Versys
  • City / Town: Swansea
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2017, 02:48:30 PM »
I use Touratech handguards with the little extension pieces on top. They are pretty effective, but a bit pricey.

https://shop.touratech.co.uk/touratech-hand-protectors-gd-for-kawasaki-versys-650-versys-1000-klr-650-from-2008-black.html
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 03:47:06 PM by longdog »
Titty bars aren't bad if you enjoy being sexually aroused without an outlet. Oh, and they're also convenient if you're in the mood for paying double the normal price for a drink. If I'm in the mood to be treated poorly while giving up large amounts of cash, I visit a BMW dealership

Offline CuddyBuddy

• Versys Pro
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2017, 02:54:00 PM »
Thanks everybody for your suggestions.  Each recommended handguard looked good.  Ended up choosing the Barkbuster Storms.  And Barkbuster LED's
Paul
2012 Versys 1000
2004 Gold Wing 1800

Offline CuddyBuddy

• Versys Pro
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2017, 03:22:50 AM »
*Originally Posted by CuddyBuddy [+]
Thanks everybody for your suggestions.  Each recommended handguard looked good.  Ended up choosing the Barkbuster Storms.  And Barkbuster LED's
The Barkbuster Storms with LED turn signals are installed.  I'm happy with the final result.

However, I guess my windshield is not OEM.  It flares out at the bottom on each side.  The result is that in tight turns the Barkbusters make contact with the windshield at the flare-out point.  I can't turn my front wheel all the way to the left to lock it.  And I can't make any tight turns, right or left, without the handguards making contacting with the windshield.  I expect this would have happened with any handguards.

I will have to cut out a piece about 2"x3" at the top of each flare, on each side of the windshield, to enable full turning and ensure no handguard contact.
Paul
2012 Versys 1000
2004 Gold Wing 1800

Offline Throttled

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versys 1000 GT MkI
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2017, 07:40:13 PM »
I have fitted all my bikes with hand guards. It rains a lot here and they help keep my hands dry, especially when combined with muffs.
KLE500 - Versys 650 Touring MkII - Versys 1000 GT MkI

Recent Topics

waggish