Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: remap or not to remap - that's the question  (Read 912 times)

Offline TheGungner

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: Versys 1000, 2016
  • City / Town: Lidk÷ping, Sweden
remap or not to remap - that's the question
« on: November 18, 2017, 08:39:10 AM »
Just bought a new exhaust, Akrapovic slipon. Do I need to remap the bike?

Offline keepthespirit

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Melton Mowbray
Re: remap or not to remap - that's the question
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 09:42:28 AM »
Don't think so, many folk have replaced end can, makes no difference..other than looks.... unless you are getting rid of the CAT...then its up to you.....i know of people,that have had CAT removed,and felt no need for a re -map,and been told, there is no issue..... On a sound level, it sounds awesome, with CAT and back box removed....then your end can would sound sweet.... :152:
Lifes too short...if you want it....get it.

Online Floydsz1

• Versys Master
  • Bike: Versys 1000 2015
  • City / Town: Morecambe
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2017, 10:01:09 AM »
Yep, no need to re-map, but if you do it will run smoother and better. Because of all the emission laws they are set up to run very weak. I had my mate re-map mine on his Dyno with just the silencer changed, it was so much smoother, with a few more BHP and more torque. I then decide to take the cat off and yesterday put it back on my mates Dyno just to check the fueling and it was still perfect, he didn't have to adjust anything.
Like has been said it will sound better without the cat, the silencer doesn't make a great difference to the sound, try starting it up when you've removed the standard silencer,
It will look better with an aftermarket can and you'll save a lot of weight.

Online TallyRex

• Versys Master
  • Bike: V1K, 900RS, ZRX1200
  • City / Town: Tallahassee
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2017, 10:08:58 AM »
Floyd,

I've got a Delkevic slip on with no re-map and I don't think my V could run any smoother.

Online Floydsz1

• Versys Master
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2017, 10:14:18 AM »
Mine was a little snatchy from a closed throttle to just opening as turning at a junction or going round a roundabout, especially in the wet.others on here have said the same. Once my mate had sorted it on his Dyno it feels so much better, friend of mine has a 2015 the same as mine and is completely stock. He said it can't be any smoother but he's just had a ride on mine. He's booking his on the Dyno in the near future.

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: GREEN, 2017 GT
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2017, 11:06:31 AM »
Kawasaki UK offer Akra pipe as part of the official accessory programme, so should be no need to re-map

I have SP Engineering can on mine ( no re-map) and the bike is as sweet as ever  :002:   
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Online TallyRex

• Versys Master
  • Bike: V1K, 900RS, ZRX1200
  • City / Town: Tallahassee
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2017, 09:55:45 AM »
Floyd -

So you are saying that the throttle is less sensitive and not that the engine runs smoother?

Online Floydsz1

• Versys Master
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2017, 10:27:34 AM »
The throttle is less sensitive, they feel snatchy from closed to starting to open as stock. That's down to how they are set up for the emmisions. They feel smoother to ride,  obviously the engine vibration (or lack of it) is the same. It's just the whole riding experience is better.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 10:31:04 AM by Floydsz1 »

Online longdog

• Versys God
  • Bike: Kawasaki Versys
  • City / Town: Swansea
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2017, 05:17:28 PM »
*Originally Posted by TheGungner [+]
Just bought a new exhaust, Akrapovic slipon. Do I need to remap the bike?

No. The Akro was sold by Kawasaki as an official upgrade/custom part and could be fitted with a re-map. You are not going to be removing the cat are you? If you were, then you would need a re-map.

I have had an Akro on mine since I had it 4 years ago and I run it without the optional baffle. It runs just fine and passes the MoT too.
Titty bars aren't bad if you enjoy being sexually aroused without an outlet. Oh, and they're also convenient if you're in the mood for paying double the normal price for a drink. If I'm in the mood to be treated poorly while giving up large amounts of cash, I visit a BMW dealership

Offline TheGungner

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: Versys 1000, 2016
  • City / Town: Lidk÷ping, Sweden
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2017, 07:27:33 AM »
*Originally Posted by longdog [+]
No. The Akro was sold by Kawasaki as an official upgrade/custom part and could be fitted with a re-map. You are not going to be removing the cat are you? If you were, then you would need a re-map.

I have had an Akro on mine since I had it 4 years ago and I run it without the optional baffle. It runs just fine and passes the MoT too.

No, I am keeping the cat as it is, will not remove it.

(Thanks for all answers) :031:

Recent Topics

waggish