Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Oh my goodness!!  (Read 1265 times)

Offline flatustube

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Stafford
Oh my goodness!!
« on: November 21, 2017, 05:17:19 PM »
Drove my Versys home yesterday from CMC in Cannock. Bear in mind I am almost 56, had never ridden a motorbike until late September, learnt on a Kawasaki ER6N and Yamaha MT-07 (as well as a Suzuki Van Van) and passed my test 2 weeks ago.

For a start off I was crapping it that I would fall off/fall over before leaving the car park - didn't!!

What I found amazing was that it seems difficult to stall (or my clutch control is fab) and it feels amazingly stable at low speed.

The engine is just sublime but I haven't been over 4000 revs yet and it seems perfectly happy in 6th gear at 40mph.

I found the ER6N a bit of a lump and the MT-07 was a great change but the riding position was wrong for someone with a neck that has been bolted together!!

Previous owner was averaging 49mpg which seems incredible given the power.

Anyhow I will upload proper pics when I get enough posts to do so.

Just really chuffed!!!

Phil :123A: :123A: :123A:
Escapee from the NHS Gulag after 32 years.......don't grass me up!!!

Offline pneumatician

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000, BMW1100
  • City / Town: Burntwood
Re: Oh my goodness!!
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 05:33:38 PM »
Welcome to the club.  I see you are a local Yokel  I am in Burntwood and have a six month old 1000. Previously had a new 650. Also have a BeeM and Royal Enfield.
 I have sent my suspension bits away to Maxton for a bit of a retune. I fitted a lowering kit, Horn, Camera and high screen.  My interests are long distance tours (two this year) and gereral long trips out.

Offline flatustube

• Versys Member
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 05:38:46 PM »
Hi - nice to hear from someone local!

Yes - Touring is my plan.

Currently concentrating on getting a few miles in - planning to Tour Spain + Portugal in the Spring.

Interested in the lowering bit - the balls of my toes are just on the ground.

Phil

Phil

Offline Bart

• Versys Pro
  • City / Town: West Wales
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 05:42:09 PM »
Welcome to the forum and well done for getting out of the carpark intact  :152:

You are at the start on a long and fantastic journey....enjoy... but take it steady for a while.

:biker1: :biker1: :biker1: :biker1: :biker1:

I've done several ride reports over on the 650 forum if you need any inspiration .

Online longdog

• Versys God
  • Bike: Kawasaki Versys
  • City / Town: Swansea
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 05:57:02 PM »
*Originally Posted by flatustube [+]

Currently concentrating on getting a few miles in - planning to Tour Spain + Portugal in the Spring.

Phil

Phil

Hi Phil and welcome to the Forum and to Versys ownership too! You're right, the Versys is a pretty forgiving ride but she can certainly pick up her skirts when you want her to  :028:

IMHO, you won't find a nicer bike to tour on. I've done well over 10k miles in and around Europe on mine and  I still can't think of another bike to replace it.  :031:
Titty bars aren't bad if you enjoy being sexually aroused without an outlet. Oh, and they're also convenient if you're in the mood for paying double the normal price for a drink. If I'm in the mood to be treated poorly while giving up large amounts of cash, I visit a BMW dealership

Online TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: GREEN, 2017 GT
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 07:26:50 PM »
Welcome along Phil, you have chosen a great bike and this forum is the perfect compliment for you, so if you have any questions then just ask, there's no daft questions.

You wil continue to enjoy tge superb Versys which just gets better and better and better and.........
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Online Sonny

• Versys God
  • Bike: 2015 KLZ1000, VN900C
  • City / Town: DFW, TX
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2017, 08:52:08 PM »
Welcome aboard, Phil.  :031:

You might keep the Power setting on L as you build up the hours. That's the main way a liter bike can bite you -- just being surprised how it will jump if you twist the throttle too hard. Everything else about the V... ABS brakes, handling, clutch... are forgiving and friendly.

It's never too late to come to riding. In fact, maturity brings a good dose of common sense and recognition of your mortality that are absent when a kid gets a good bike under him. These will serve you well, and the Versys rewards smooth, orderly riding (well in all honesty it rewards hella crazy riding as well... but don't go there, at least not too soon!)   :celebrate:
G2Ergo throttle tube, Givi Airflow screen, Dan Moto carbon fiber exhaust, Grip Puppies, Moto Werk bar risers, Kaw rad guard

Offline Paul_Smith

• Ex Member
  • Versys God
  • Account Terminated
  • Bike: V1K 2016 Black
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2017, 10:27:33 PM »
*Originally Posted by flatustube [+]

Phil

Phil
Welcome to the forum, but given that you only have your license a few weeks, can I suggest you get a few more miles under your belt before you start considering long haul trips. Do a few trips to Grimsby and Porthmadog before you try to take on Granada and Porto.

And no, sorry to say it, but you do not have fab clutch control yet. The reason the Versys is so hard to stall is because it is a seriously bloody powerful motor. Combined with the fast idle, if you drop the clutch at idle, it will comfortably take off at 20 miles an hour. 
Do not take it for granted or it will bite you in the ass. Hard.   

Offline flatustube

• Versys Member
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2017, 09:29:40 AM »
*Originally Posted by Paul_Smith [+]
Welcome to the forum, but given that you only have your license a few weeks, can I suggest you get a few more miles under your belt before you start considering long haul trips. Do a few trips to Grimsby and Porthmadog before you try to take on Granada and Porto.

And no, sorry to say it, but you do not have fab clutch control yet. The reason the Versys is so hard to stall is because it is a seriously bloody powerful motor. Combined with the fast idle, if you drop the clutch at idle, it will comfortably take off at 20 miles an hour. 
Do not take it for granted or it will bite you in the ass. Hard.

Yes I guessed it wasn't my clutch control!! Thanks for the advice, I will be heading off to see my daughter in Cambridge this weekend as a starter.

Offline FootlOZe

• Versys Pro
  • Ulysses Motorcycle Club member
  • Bike: 2012 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Culburra Beach
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2017, 11:50:01 AM »
Welcome to the Forum. Given your first successful experience in getting out of the carpark unscathed I am sure that it will not take long for you to get the experience to tackle the continent. Enjoy the riding and the experiences. Craig

BTW: I think that we will win the Ashes!!  :008: :001: (For those in other countries that is a cricket reference!)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 11:51:41 AM by FootlOZe »
FootlOZe
Growing older doesn't mean growing up!

Recent Topics

waggish