Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Chain & sprocket  (Read 405 times)

Offline Lee7

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys1000
  • City / Town: Whitley bay
Chain & sprocket
« on: November 21, 2017, 07:48:13 PM »
Help needed . What and where to buy a good chain and sprocket from ?
Thanks lee :002:

Offline hector

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: zzr1400 + v1k 2017
  • City / Town: lytham st annes
Re: Chain & sprocket
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 08:52:52 PM »
b&c express in Lincoln  :002:

Offline Bayonet

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000 2015
  • City / Town: North Essex
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 08:46:32 AM »
I bought the basic DID x ring chain and JT sprockets from Wemoto a while back to see how long it would last. Its done about 27,000 miles since then which has at least matched the original Kawasaki chain before it. I have bought another set which will be going on in the near future (when I can be bothered).
2015 Versys 1000- 59,000 miles, 10 shims, 6 rear tyres, 7 front tyres, 6 oil changes, 2 sets of plugs, 2 air filter, 6 fork seals,  1 set of head race bearings, 2 chain and sprocket sets, 4 screens, 3 pairs of front brake pads, 2 pair of rear pads (old ones wouldn't' wear out) 8 washes and counting.

Offline Bayonet

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000 2015
  • City / Town: North Essex
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2017, 04:44:43 PM »
*Originally Posted by Bayonet [+]
I bought the basic DID x ring chain and JT sprockets from Wemoto a while back to see how long it would last. Its done about 27,000 miles since then which has at least matched the original Kawasaki chain before it. I have bought another set which will be going on in the near future (when I can be bothered).
Halfway through swapping to a new chain and sprocket, also swapped the rear tyre over so had to come in for a rest and a cool down after the wrestling. I'll pop back after a cuppa and rivet the new chain on.

Unlike last time, I couldn't get the front sprocket nut undone by hand, it was me that fitted it last time as well and I think I tightened it to less than the stated torque. Luckily my local bike shop were kind enough to use their air impact driver on it at a few minutes notice and then nipped it up so I could ride back home and carry on with the sprocket removal/swap. I'm gonna get me one of those windey windey impact wossnames!

The DID chain that was removed has done just shy of 29,000 miles.

I decided to swap because firstly I have had to adjust it twice within a few weeks which to me usually means the start of the end and secondly you could see some of the links were holding the front sprocket shape rather than dropping back into a straight line as you rotated the wheel.
2015 Versys 1000- 59,000 miles, 10 shims, 6 rear tyres, 7 front tyres, 6 oil changes, 2 sets of plugs, 2 air filter, 6 fork seals,  1 set of head race bearings, 2 chain and sprocket sets, 4 screens, 3 pairs of front brake pads, 2 pair of rear pads (old ones wouldn't' wear out) 8 washes and counting.

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: GREEN, 2017 GT
  • City / Town: Ballymena, Antrim
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2017, 08:31:58 PM »
A windy/rattle gun is an essential piece of equipment for that troublesome front sprocket  and IMHO a far better option the wedging the rear wheel against the swing arm and standing on a piece of scaffolding pipe slipped over a ring key   :008: 

Remember you need a 6 sided socket for this job.

If I might add 29000 miles on a DID chain seems like a good result to me   :028:   
You preach what you need to hear

Roger (Rog)

Offline 100milesaway

• Versys God
  • Bike: Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Leyburn. N Yorks
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2017, 09:02:16 PM »
Has anyone tried Ognibene, are Afam sprockets :question:.
If man evolved from monkeys, why are there still monkeys?

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2017, 09:40:03 PM »
*Originally Posted by 100milesaway [+]
Has anyone tried Ognibene, are Afam sprockets :question:.

I had to google them Geoff, TBH I'd never heard of them ~ I'm now waiting for response to your question   :002:   

Roger (Rog)

Offline 100milesaway

• Versys God
  • Bike: Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Leyburn. N Yorks
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2017, 09:52:34 PM »
*Originally Posted by TYKE [+]
I had to google them Geoff, TBH I'd never heard of them ~ I'm now waiting for response to your question   :002:   
They are both very well know Rog, along with JT they are probably the best sellers in the UK.
If man evolved from monkeys, why are there still monkeys?

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2017, 08:53:35 AM »
I'll bear that in mind when I'm in the market for a replacement C & S  Geoff  :002:

Someone should be along soon with a report about them  :002:     

Roger (Rog)

Recent Topics

waggish