Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2015 model headlight bulb replacement  (Read 3818 times)

Offline Oldplodder

• Versys Master
  • Knows bugger all
  • Bike: V1K Mk1-GL1800 '13
  • City / Town: Buckley
Re: 2015 model headlight bulb replacement
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2018, 10:39:59 PM »
Cheers Richard,

Nice prompt reply.

Dave T
Lord, Please make me into the person my dog thinks I am.

Offline Paul_Smith

• Ex Member
  • Versys God
  • Account Terminated
  • Bike: V1K 2016 Black
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2018, 10:04:22 AM »
I agree with the headlight relay option if you are upgrading Halogens, the Kawasaki wires are just a bit too small for my taste, but in my opinion, Halogens have had their day. Once you go LED, you will be very reluctant to go back. White light that is actually white not a dirty yellow and twice as much of it, using a third less power but lasting much, much longer, and getting cheaper by the month. Be warned though, if you do go LED, you will be tempted to go all LED; sidelights, indicators, driving lights. Your wife's car, the neighbour's lawn mower...

Offline Ace50

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Super Tenere
  • City / Town: VA
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2018, 12:42:25 PM »
*Originally Posted by Paul_Smith [+]
Be warned though, if you do go LED, you will be tempted to go all LED; sidelights, indicators, driving lights. Your wife's car, the neighbour's lawn mower...
Not me! I did that to one of my bikes and never again.
Unless you spend the money and get the top dollar ones, it's a waste of money!
But I don't throw money at my bike like a lot of people do. If I can't make it myself, it usually doesn't show-up on my bikes.....
And I've made a  lot of stuff over the years too!

Offline Paul_Smith

• Ex Member
  • Versys God
  • Account Terminated
  • Bike: V1K 2016 Black
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2018, 01:05:04 PM »
*Originally Posted by Ace50 [+]
Not me! I did that to one of my bikes and never again.
Unless you spend the money and get the top dollar ones, it's a waste of money!
But I don't throw money at my bike like a lot of people do. If I can't make it myself, it usually doesn't show-up on my bikes.....
And I've made a  lot of stuff over the years too!
Really? Wow! You make your own chains, sprockets, brake pads, coolants and other consumables? Cool, but surely it would be a lot cheaper to just buy them like the rest of us. The last light source I used that you could make for your self was an carbide lamp but that was a long, long tome ago.

I don't know what you call top dollar or a waste of money, I paid £70 for a pair of bulbs (that are now £45) that have twice the light, six times the life and a third less power consumption than Phillips X-tremeVision 130% bulbs at £20. Apart from the simple financial savings, being able to see further down the road and be seen by others from further away is important to me as I spend a lot of time on the bike under less than ideal conditions.

Offline 100milesaway

• Versys God
  • Bike: Versys 650 MK3
  • City / Town: Leyburn. N Yorks
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2018, 06:47:03 PM »
Brighter lights are very much worthwhile if you ride a lot  in the dark. But my days of night riding are thankfully long gone. :002:
If man evolved from monkeys, why are there still monkeys?

Offline Oldplodder

• Versys Master
  • Knows bugger all
  • Bike: V1K Mk1-GL1800 '13
  • City / Town: Buckley
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2018, 10:18:44 PM »
I prefer to keep to the proper lights until all bugs with LEDs are sorted and ones that are designed for the Versys are available, and not a generic one that can be made to fit.
I have friends who have had LED lights but reverted back to normal bulbs due to problems with LED lights being too bright for their style of riding, despite being in correct adjustment.
I also had problems with some aftermarket LED spot lights which were properly adjusted, but still caused other road users to flash me.
As I don't do any long distance riding in the dark, I will stick with old style bulbs for now.
YMMV.

Dave T
Lord, Please make me into the person my dog thinks I am.

Offline 100milesaway

• Versys God
  • Bike: Versys 650 MK3
  • City / Town: Leyburn. N Yorks
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2018, 05:10:41 AM »
*Originally Posted by Oldplodder [+]
I prefer to keep to the proper lights until all bugs with LEDs are sorted and ones that are designed for the Versys are available, and not a generic one that can be made to fit.
I have friends who have had LED lights but reverted back to normal bulbs due to problems with LED lights being too bright for their style of riding, despite being in correct adjustment.
I also had problems with some aftermarket LED spot lights which were properly adjusted, but still caused other road users to flash me.
As I don't do any long distance riding in the dark, I will stick with old style bulbs for now.
YMMV.

Dave T
Excuse my ignorance Dave, but YMMV :question: :027:
If man evolved from monkeys, why are there still monkeys?

Offline Bob

• Versys Pro
  • Acts 4:12
  • Bike: 2016 V1K
  • City / Town: Palmdale
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2018, 07:56:34 AM »
*Originally Posted by Paul_Smith [+]
Once you go LED, you will be very reluctant to go back. White light that is actually white not a dirty yellow and twice as much of it, using a third less power but lasting much, much longer, and getting cheaper by the month. Be warned though, if you do go LED, you will be tempted to go all LED; sidelights, indicators, driving lights.
Exactly what I did.
Bob
----------
Repay no one evil for evil, but give thought to do what is honorable in the sight of all. (Romans 12:17)

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: GREEN, 2017 GT
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2018, 08:04:52 AM »
*Originally Posted by 100milesaway [+]
Excuse my ignorance Dave, but YMMV :question: :027:

I had to google it Geoff  :028:   

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=ymmv   
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Offline Vespista1960

• Versys Master
  • Bike: Versys 1000 2015
  • City / Town: Milano
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2018, 08:09:16 AM »
*Originally Posted by Oldplodder [+]
I did the same as those friends of yours.
LEDs can not be designed, so far, to reproduce exactly the 360° filiform light source of halogens. So, despite any adjustment, the light beam will never be perfect in a reflector designed for halogen bulbs.
Moreover, the need for heat sinks and electronics complicates the mount and, in my opinion, may introduce reliability issues. Moreover, the retaining clips of the bulbs I bought rubbed against the heat sinks producing an annoying vibration.
In short, if you want light let the bulbs alone and buy the fog lights.

P.S. Some of the problems I have described would be solved if P&P LED bulbs, without radiators and with built-in electronics, proved to be reliable. I'm testing one of these bulbs on my scooter (on which I'm not looking for more light, but for less power consumption). I'll report if someone is interested. But in any case the light beam is not perfect.

Recent Topics

waggish