Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Disc Brake Quiet  (Read 4891 times)

Offline kris

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000
Re: Disc Brake Quiet
« Reply #90 on: January 18, 2018, 11:53:32 AM »
*Originally Posted by TYKE [+]
I do clean the bobbins on my bike, but not as part of a regular regime although I'd like to think that I'm conscientious about such things

What I'm saying is I clean them when I think about it....maybe every other month or so  :034:

considering that some clean them once in a lifetime, doing it every month is quite a lot!  so do you move the bobbins around when you clean them?

Offline kris

• Versys Pro
« Reply #91 on: January 18, 2018, 11:55:58 AM »
*Originally Posted by peter73 [+]
I cleaned them once in 2 years / 50k km as a last resort solution for a slight pulsation in the brake lever at certain {low) speed. It worked and I never had to do it again and don't intend to unless I have to.

I am almost tempted to keep quiet on Kris' idea to lubricate them but there is still something good left in me, so - Kris, don't lubricate the bobbins as the centrifugal forces may push some of the heated and liquefied lubricant onto the friction part of the disk and then there'll be no one to blow basic matters into 100-page threads

Thanks, Peter.  I am relieved to know that there is something good left in you :)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 12:06:02 PM by kris »

Offline kris

• Versys Pro
« Reply #92 on: January 18, 2018, 12:03:01 PM »
When moving the rear wheel I noticed that in one place there is annoying sound in the brakes and there is more resistance.  Does it mean that the disc can be warped?  I know that sometimes the transfer layer from the pads can create such spots, so I cleaned the disc with scotch brite and thinner.  This made the problem less acute, but not fully eliminated it.

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: GREEN, 2017 GT
  • City / Town: Ballymena, Antrim
« Reply #93 on: January 18, 2018, 02:55:09 PM »
*Originally Posted by kris [+]
considering that some clean them once in a lifetime, doing it every month is quite a lot!  so do you move the bobbins around when you clean them?

Actually I said "every other month or so" Kris...meaning that I don't clean them frequently.

I can say that after cleaning the bobbins will turn with less resistance...they aren't ever loose though  :028: 

I suppose I would think to clean them if I am putting more miles on the bike, say, during summer    :002:   
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Offline Paul_Smith

• Versys Master
  • Bike: V1K 2016 Black
« Reply #94 on: January 18, 2018, 03:00:07 PM »
Kris, I think you need to take a few deep breaths and relax. If your brakes are working fine, leave them alone. If you have a specific problem to address, deal with that problem only.

Offline kris

• Versys Pro
« Reply #95 on: January 18, 2018, 03:13:56 PM »
*Originally Posted by Paul_Smith [+]
Kris, I think you need to take a few deep breaths and relax. If your brakes are working fine, leave them alone. If you have a specific problem to address, deal with that problem only.

you might be right.  I am getting 'brakes-obsessive'.  however, since I am at that I will check with a gauge if the run-out in the rotor is within tolerance.  rear brake is used sparingly so one could probably ride on with a slightly warped disc.

Offline peter73

• Versys Master
  • Bike: Versys 1000 Mk2
  • City / Town: Sofia
« Reply #96 on: January 18, 2018, 06:00:00 PM »
*Originally Posted by Paul_Smith [+]
Kris, I think you need to take a few deep breaths and relax...

*Originally Posted by kris [+]
you might be right ... however, since I am at that I will check with a gauge if the run-out in the rotor is within tolerance...

:-)))))

You don't make 10 pages on the rear brake pad by taking a breath. Kris is like those electronic red-letter banners in the public transport - he just keeps rolling all kinds of stream of consciousness-like text based on whatever he finds on the internet. You can not engage in a real conversation with him because he does not have an opinion of his own. He asks something out of the blue and as soon as someone replies somethingр his response is "but I have read on site X that it is the other way around". And then moves in a completely different direction. There is something charming about this in a sort of childish way but in the end I feel stupid every time I try to play along.

And I mean all this in the most sympathetic way, I honestly do :-))
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 06:14:22 PM by peter73 »

Offline kris

• Versys Pro
« Reply #97 on: January 19, 2018, 01:59:45 AM »
*Originally Posted by peter73 [+]
:-)))))

You don't make 10 pages on the rear brake pad by taking a breath. Kris is like those electronic red-letter banners in the public transport - he just keeps rolling all kinds of stream of consciousness-like text based on whatever he finds on the internet. You can not engage in a real conversation with him because he does not have an opinion of his own. He asks something out of the blue and as soon as someone replies somethingр his response is "but I have read on site X that it is the other way around". And then moves in a completely different direction. There is something charming about this in a sort of childish way but in the end I feel stupid every time I try to play along.

And I mean all this in the most sympathetic way, I honestly do :-))

Peter, and here, I was going to believe that there is some good in you!  I consider myself a bike novice even though I rode bikes for many years. I am not afraid to admit my ignorance.  However, it is not the stream of consciousness (which implies saying what is on your mind without any filtering) by a logical inquiry into different matters.  Yes, I do occasionally research good sources of information on Internet, first because it is my hobby, and second because to make up your mind you need to see different viewpoints. 

You, Peter, on the other hand, appear to be not a very friendly fellow.  If you have anger or other psychological issues, there are other forums for that.  Or talk to someone. 

Offline kris

• Versys Pro
« Reply #98 on: January 21, 2018, 01:47:22 PM »
I think that all that thing about cleaning bobbins and moving them around is just bs.   the idea that they are somewhat 'seized' because the cannot be moved around makes no sense since they come from factory not moving, and all they need to do is just to allow the radial expansion.   Most likely, this misconception was created due to the influence of the bikers who have full floating rotors where the bobbins obviously need to be free. moving them around in semi-floating rotors can give an illusion that one is "maintaining?" them, but one might be actually damaging them.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 01:49:20 PM by kris »

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: GREEN, 2017 GT
  • City / Town: Ballymena, Antrim
« Reply #99 on: January 21, 2018, 02:48:48 PM »
Well you are of course entitled to your opinion Kris   :028:   ...I will still clean mine (occasionally)   :002:   
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Recent Topics